Quotes that guide your life and ones you just like using!

Smithydog

We often find ourselves quoting others or using quotes from other people to support our views and opinions. Some of us may even have a couple of quotes they find helpful in guiding their lives. Here are some funny and serious quotes I have often used.

“Common sense is like deodorant. The people who need it most never use it.” - Anonymous

“I never forget a face—but in your case, I’ll be glad to make an exception.” - Groucho Marx

“I prefer not to think before speaking. I like being as surprised as everyone else by what comes out of my mouth.” - Anonymous

“The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us.” - Bill Waterson 

But my personal top 3 ones that help drive my life are:

"In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." -Abraham Lincoln

"Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." -Nelson Mandela

What are your favourites. Share them with us. Just remember to quote who they were from!

• Like 2

One of my favourite quotes is from a Private Eye cartoonist, by the name of Kathryn Lamb.

I have the original cartoon, which I bought in Oxford 40 years ago, hanging on my wall.

"I treat life as a huge joke, I only wish I had someone to share the joke with"

It's rather poignant; now however, being very happily married, I have someone to share the joke with.

• Like 2

A couple more from my most favourite author, Haruki Murakami.

"Everything passes. Nobody gets anything for keeps. And that's how we've got to live."

"Don't feel sorry for yourself. Only assholes do that."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Douglas Kennedy - an absolutely stunningly good author.

"The only time you truly become an adult is when you finally forgive your parents for being just as flawed as everyone else."

• Like 2

Another few to add to the list! 😀

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”  - Jack Handey

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Two countries divided by a common language.

Regarding the UK and the US.

I always thought that was attributed to Churchill, but googling reckons it was GBS (George Bernard Shaw).

• Like 2

Another good one for forum posters to think about.

Aristotle once said, “It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.”

(I just knew my Ancient History studies at school would be helpful one day! There Dad! It wasn’t just about staring at the hot teacher.)😁

We sometimes get so locked-up deep in our own opinion, usually with passion, that we start to lose true perspective on the debate, making us look no more than foolish. To me, this quote exemplifies that it is sometimes better to step back, take a moment and consider things, rather than just bite back (my words as far as I know!).

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting “Holy Shit! What a ride!”

— Mavis Leyrer, age 83.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"I can always tell when the mother in law's coming to stay; the mice throw themselves on the traps."

"I went to the doctor last week. I said:

'Can I have some sleeping pills for the wife?'

He said: 'Why?' I said: 'She's woke up.'"

Les Dawson

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Faraday said:

"I can always tell when the mother in law's coming to stay; the mice throw themselves on the traps."

"I went to the doctor last week. I said:

'Can I have some sleeping pills for the wife?'

He said: 'Why?' I said: 'She's woke up.'"

Les Dawson

Great fellow. Of course the pc brigade would be waving their handbags in disgust if he was around now

• 3 weeks later...

I use this quote a lot.  All the stockbroker/trader types who refuse to leave 800K in a the bank for their retirement visa, because they claim they make more money with the 400K than they pay their Visa agent.   

Yes,  I have something you will never have, "enough money.”

Edited by ExpatPattaya

49 minutes ago, ExpatPattaya said:

I use this quote a lot.  All the stockbroker/trader types who refuse to leave 800K in a the bank for their retirement visa, because they claim they make more money with the 400K than they pay their Visa agent.   

Yes,  I have something you will never have, "enough money.”

This'll be you then...?

• Haha 4

This is the one I've been living by:

"It seemed like a good idea at the time", heard in the background chatter on Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1