News Forum - Police say new approach is needed to fight crime that combines technology with community participation

Thaiger

15 police stations across the country are participating in an innovative project that joins technology with an interpersonal approach to help tackle crime. National police chief Suwat Jangyodsuk says police much reevaluate how they fight crime. He insists police must be knowledgeable and study modern policing. Suwat says educated police work more efficiently in what can be a fluid social environment. Suwat went on to say that the social environment is becoming more complex and with it, crime has become complex. Police must be able to handle these new, complex crimes, says Suwat. He adds that these types of challenges […]

The post Police say new approach is needed to fight crime that combines technology with community participation appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

19 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Police must be able to handle these new, complex crimes,

Complex …. Plastic bags have been around for ages. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Well sunshine, I think you should start from the Top that will keep you busy

Exactly start policing the corruption and theft of land through extortion from the very top of government. 

Ohh I know they cannot and will not because the boys in brown are part of the problem not the solution. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

He insists police must be knowledgeable and study modern policing.

Suwat says educated police work more efficiently in what can be a fluid social environment

Really? 

Now who'd have thought that .....

"He does concede that police can overemphasise enforcing the law and arresting as many suspects as possible while admitting this strategy hasn’t reduced the crime rate."

Hmm... then perhaps stop doing this?

Perhaps you might, you know, stop mass arrests and only arrest people when there is both proper (not manufactured) evidence and reasonable justification?

It simply sounds like a good first step...

1 minute ago, ExpatPattaya said:

With proper technology and community participation we could get rid of the police IMO.  

Their grifting days are numbered I say.  555

39079766_101.jpg

Not while they are a state sponsored criminal organisation

The Police Chief is right about the complexity of crime and there is a need for police to recruit people ,who are educated and able to surpass the abilities of criminals in solving and preventing crime. As an outsider, the police in Thailand have a real credibility issue that needs to be addressed. Bribing, corruption etc etc mean the police aren't trusted as they should be. So the focus needs to be a duel focus (yes I think the Thai police can actually do two things at once...pat their heads and rub their tummies at the same time). Fighting crime within and without. If there's a will...there's a way!

14 hours ago, Jason said:

The Police Chief is right about the complexity of crime and there is a need for police to recruit people ,who are educated and able to surpass the abilities of criminals in solving and preventing crime. As an outsider, the police in Thailand have a real credibility issue that needs to be addressed. Bribing, corruption etc etc mean the police aren't trusted as they should be. So the focus needs to be a duel focus (yes I think the Thai police can actually do two things at once...pat their heads and rub their tummies at the same time). Fighting crime within and without. If there's a will...there's a way!

All very well expressed, but I think missing one crucial element.

If you want the police to recruite educated people, as described, you have to pay them more.  The reason that corruption on the street-level is so rampant and accepted is the cops are paid a pittance in salary and have to pay for their own uniform and weapon, if I remember rightly.

You don't see a large number of uni graduates in the police force, do you?  Most police officers graduate from the Armed Forces Academies Preparatory School  before joining the Royal Thai Police Cadet Training Academy.

You can't have a professional police force if you pay them stooge wages.  All you wind up with is stooges.