News Forum - Phuket governor petitions Bangkok to end restaurant alcohol ban, bar closure order

Thaiger

18 minutes ago, MikeW said:

If the bars in Phuket are allowed to open then bars in every province with the same amount or less of new cases should be allowed to open 

Near the peak of the pandemic in Ireland, at one time pubs were open everywhere in Ireland except Dublin. Those who wanted a drink, drove to the next county. Chocolate fireguards anyone?

8 hours ago, Malc-Thai said:

Well today the covid numbers (PCR confirmed) have come down to under 200 in a day.. however this clip from phuket news today shows that people are still being put in hide'm away hotels! 39 tested with atk's but 472 daily increase 

And don't forget the 9 groups sent to detect covid on the island where did those figures of positive atk's go to!

The report recorded 39 people suspected of being infected with COVID-19 after testing positive by antigen test kits (ATK), but the total number of people reported as currently being held at ‘COVID-19 Care Centers’ across the island increased by 472, from 1,507 to 1,979.

source

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-marks-184-new-covid-cases-one-new-death-81536.php

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-opinion-enough-rope-81516.php

Don't test, Don't tell.

2 hours ago, Bob20 said:

The problem is that none of the numbers mean anything. To find the rate of infection, they need randomised testing, and they've never done that yet.

Just for info  ..The 9 groups sent to phuket to do testing but with atk's were mostly random but select areas.. they predicted they would test 25k in 3 days but only managed just over 4000 in 2 days..(not seen any information after the first 2 days) they found 212 infected.. that's just over 5% found.. but strangely there was no record of these on any totals only the covd care centres (hide'm hotels) went up over 200.. 

50 minutes ago, DrPhibes said:

Don't test, Don't tell.

That's the problem they are reducing one type of test for another that is not recorded officially  as having covid

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Soidog said:

What really matters is not the actual number but the rate of change.

What really matters is the rate of serious illness.

If the world just recognised this is not a near death experience for 99%+ , we could all get on with a normal life.

Testing is a waste of time for many reasons, some highlighted by Soidog.

Let the really ill go to hospital and the others do what they do with a cold or flu.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Malc-Thai said:

Just for info  ..The 9 groups sent to phuket to do testing but with atk's were mostly random but select areas.. they predicted they would test 25k in 3 days but only managed just over 4000 in 2 days..(not seen any information after the first 2 days) they found 212 infected.. that's just over 5% found.. but strangely there was no record of these on any totals only the covd care centres (hide'm hotels) went up over 200.. 

But "select areas" isn't random 🤔😉

8 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

But "select areas" isn't random 🤔😉

I believe they divided phuket into 9 areas 1 area per group.. so yes technically yes it's not random but it was anyone within that area that wanted a test .. sadly only word by mouth on this can't find any reports on it now..very quiet 

10 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

I believe they divided phuket into 9 areas 1 area per group.. so yes technically yes it's not random but it was anyone within that area that wanted a test .. sadly only word by mouth on this can't find any reports on it now..very quiet 

I know, setting up randomised trials is actually not easy and most that claim to be aren't. So here, I'd be especially suspicious.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Viggen840 said:

Not just Phuket, why not the entire country? Businesses have suffered long enough!

Come on, All Governors…. Get your brown envelopes out too!

On 9/28/2021 at 10:13 AM, Malc-Thai said:

Yes I have questioned the 35 red cases not changing. so where are the deaths coming from .. if they are going to die surely they would be in a red ward !

Velly solly but Poochai who count he number 35.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MrStretch said:

If we are going to learn to live with it, this is a reasonable step.

I'm fustrated every time I go out for a  meal that I can't have a single beer...just one.  But no.

Both, it would seem, because both appear to be true.

There is no evidence that serving alcohol in restaurants leads to more covid infections, especially given that most restaurants in Thailand's tourist locations are often open or semi open therefore better fresh air circulation being a much lesser chance of passing the virus. The alcohol ban in restaurants has no credibility and is a knee jerk reaction from those in power with no thought of the consequences. 

I understand the greater possibility in those clubs or bars which are semi or completely enclosed therefore air-conditioned and people are mingling in close proximity. 

Personally I believe that we just have to live with Covid because its not going away anytime soon and people will get infected regardless. The Thai economy ( the people ) cannot sustain more lockdowns so start opening the tourist regions and deal with what comes along. Some people will die, especially the vulnerable but most will get over it and life can recommence in some sort of normality.

Then hopefully the Thai authorities will start focusing on road fatalities, maybe they should have a traffic ban!!!

• Like 1