Bangkok Pat's Youtube Channel

Bangkok_Pat

You may, or may not be familiar with my channel. I started it to satisfy my interest in things urban and historic, definitely not as some personal vlog about my daily life or a channel that tries to keep up with trending topics. There are plenty of those out there already. 

This is the link to the channel on Youtube. I will also be posting videos as threads as time goes on. With each video posted I will add photos that were taken when the video was shot, which didn't appear in the video.

Bangkok Pat's Channel

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Love your work.

Referenced you regarding a photo in the “Old Photos of Siam and Bangkok” thread.  

One comment:  I’ve watched several of your vids on the khlongs. You’ve mentioned that some routes are being improved/updated with electric ferries. Have you done any work on the ferry routes/commutes?  If I relocate to BBK I’d like to live out of the Centre and on a ferry route rather than a MRT line. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marmite said:

Woof!

Your Sukhumvit video brought back some memories. Nicely done Mate.

Thanks mate. You were definitely prowling those streets back in the day.

• Like 1

A journey through the 5 decades that Nana has been in existence. From the early days and the man who named it, to the beginnings of R&R, the first bars in Nana Plaza, the bar areas that sprung up all over the area, from Soi Zero to Soi 11, the famous entertainment/bar areas that came and went, this is a visit every place past and present to see what's there now.

Interviews with club owners who were there, the fun times, urban legends, stories of Soi Zero, Nana Plaza, Sukhumvit Square, Thermae. It's absolutely everything you ever needed to know about Nana, past to present.

Chapters:
00:00 Start & August 2021 update intro
00:51 History & Lek Nana 'Godfather of Sukhumvit'
01:42 Soi 4 & Nana Plaza history & first bars
04:24 Mystery Location
04:38 The Thermae Past & Present from the early days, the girls
06:16 Clinton Entertainment Plaza
06:46 Soi 1, Golden Palace Hotel, slums & canal
09:50 Soi 2
10:52 Soi 3
12:03 Sukhumvit Road footage from the 80s & 90s
12:54 Cheap Charlie's Bar
13:32 Soi 11
14:49 Q Bar, Interview with former owner Andrew Clark
18:09 Soi 7
19:14 The Tunnel to Soi 5
19:45 Soi Zero / Buckskin Joe's Village
21:57 Interview with Bob Van Es, owner of Det 5 Soi Zero
25:38 Sukhumvit 1 Plaza
26:05 Soi 10 & Soi 8
27:26 Destruction of Sukhumvit Square
29:46 Copacabana Club
30:23 Soi Arab / Soi 3/1
31:30 Soi 5
33:04 Soi 9
33:43 The visiting GIs on R&R from the Vietnam War, the hotel discos

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Try to forget the doom and the gloom for 25 minutes. It had a heyday, and it sure wasn't like it is now. Old photos & footage, stories, history, legends and the streets.

• Like 1

I had the worse ever Pad Thai down there . 

The guy got some noodles which were squashed together , put them in a Wok for 1 minute adding a few bits of cabbage and then served them on a paper plate and the noodles were still all stuck together , it was more like a doughnut  than a Pad Thai . 

25 Baht wasted 

Well before Covid the FPB (fake puritan brigade) was busy trying to purify and sanitize the area. 

They succeeded in ridding the area of most of it's charm, and even the Chinese were complaining there was not much to see anymore. 

Now? They are realizing deliberate sabotage of tourism comes with a very high price. The downfall is irreversible. 

• Like 1

Dear Pat and the Thaiger gang,

This video is excellent and presented in a much more dynamic fashion than Pat’s guest interview with Tim and Jay on Friday. Great job! I’m glad I gave it a watch.

—John

• Like 1

The settings at my end were at fault. I had no idea the new web cam had a manual focus on the front, and you don't expect it to in 2021. Blame that huge mail order company that spams millions for not stating that in the description!

• Like 1

No worries, Pat.

I just want to urge everyone to give your video a watch. Well researched and delivered, with great historical footage.

—John

• Like 1

Thanks John, that's how I try and do all my videos, to try and give a bit more. I'm a bit of a history nerd and my idea for the channel was that Bangkok is undergoing serious changes in its structure and character, some good and some bad, and it's worth documenting. in 10yrs this city could be unrecognisable.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Bangkok_Pat said:

Thanks John, that's how I try and do all my videos, to try and give a bit more. I'm a bit of a history nerd and my idea for the channel was that Bangkok is undergoing serious changes in its structure and character, some good and some bad, and it's worth documenting. in 10yrs this city could be unrecognisable.

Well look at suk 20 years ago re nightlife from where you started at soi zero- Sukhumvit Sq, Clinton Plaza, Checkinn99, Asoke corner, soi 23, Nana disco, Washington sq, Queens Park Plaza and others too many to mention all gone. Now you have the ridiculously over priced Nana Plaza and Soi Cowboy, the tatty beer garden and and the Thermae a shadow of it's former self. In ten years even those places may well be history. The cats will still be around 😛

2 hours ago, Bangkok_Pat said:

Fluke, I doubt you're the first, and I thought they were 10 Baht along there. Or was that 20yrs ago!

1999 10 THB pad thai down Kho san, very debatable quality

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bangkok_Pat said:

Pat I was a profession editor in Hollywood for four decades and I find your pitch to camera and VO to be perfect. the subject matter, pacing, music and choice of B roll images are all very well done. people really underestimate how much work goes into writing, setup and shot selection and the editing process.  keep up the good work. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

Pat I was a profession editor in Hollywood for four decades and I find your pitch to camera and VO to be perfect. the subject matter, pacing, music and choice of B roll images are all very well done. people really underestimate how much work goes into writing, setup and shot selection and the editing process.  keep up the good work. 

Thank you very much, to be honest I wasn't an expert in editing before I started the channel. I use a basic editing program (Movavi) because it's the only one that shows me the sound files in waves so I can judge levels. so I've kept with it, and it's so straight forward to use.  Adobe and the other ones are far too complicated.

I was a big fan of Hong Kong movie directors in the 90s and the way they presented what was happening in a scene so I thought of that. It takes more time to do the videos and I often spend up to 10 days in one area shooting stuff for one video (3-4 hours per day that is) Then, as you know, there's always the things you see around a shot that gives you ideas on what goes in. It's an enjoyable process and certain parts of Bangkok bring up some unexpected things worth adding in!

• Like 3