Bangkok Pat's Youtube Channel

Bangkok_Pat

Bangkok may lose a 105 yr old legend. Lots of reminiscing. Museum pieces, SRT & Orient Express. The so-called ghetto. Rong Muang fleapit hotels on the brink, The wasted new Bang Sue viaduct, Old Railfan museum, plus more. It’s fun. Relax and switch off for 16 minutes.

00:00 Start

00:34 The beginning 1916

01:49 State Railway Of Thailand, & The Orient Express

04:55 The wasted new viaduct built from Bang Sue Grand Station to Hua Lamphong

07:20 This is not a ghetto. A lineside community dodging the trains

09:24 Museum pieces and what would tourists reminisce about?

12:00 Architecture and Special trains

13:26 The old hotels and Rong Muang

16:00 End

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bangkok_Pat said:

Bangkok may lose a 105 yr old legend. Lots of reminiscing. Museum pieces, SRT & Orient Express. The so-called ghetto. Rong Muang fleapit hotels on the brink, The wasted new Bang Sue viaduct, Old Railfan museum, plus more. It’s fun. Relax and switch off for 16 minutes.

00:00 Start

00:34 The beginning 1916

01:49 State Railway Of Thailand, & The Orient Express

04:55 The wasted new viaduct built from Bang Sue Grand Station to Hua Lamphong

07:20 This is not a ghetto. A lineside community dodging the trains

09:24 Museum pieces and what would tourists reminisce about?

12:00 Architecture and Special trains

13:26 The old hotels and Rong Muang

16:00 End

The GF and I spent an hour wandering around the train station last week.  It is full of history and then each of the train lines they have set up are cool.  Photos and the history can also be seen in the tunnel going from the Trains Station to the MRT Hua Lamphong trains.

Here are some proposals for the site, but you can never rule out demolition and a new commercial/retail/residential development.

1787153511_t9s2SN19.jpgmedium.thumb.jpg.95ea4797d73a93c1cf5d8ebc095f35a9.jpg1972613283_OixrQB9J.jpglarge.thumb.jpg.fac504a8e7042e1335bf4cf8c4c2b19f.jpg1970591329_hMlyh9tp.jpglarge.thumb.jpg.5e71854a00e505517f67a5b74d096f42.jpg535057788_0wBixkQW.jpglarge.thumb.jpg.bc118cd39d90a3904d9e495ac1b1818b.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m reposting the “5 Decades of Nana” video. Absolutely compulsory viewing for anyone who has some history in the lower Sois of Sukhumvit. Watch it, I couldn’t recommend it enough. Such a well-crafted story and so many tidbits to mull over. 

Clinton Plaza… my first trip to Bangkok many years ago. Had forgotten about it.

And the Golden Palace Hotel on Soi 1? Wow. That was my hotel of choice in the early days. Met some great folks there in the courtyard/ bring your own quasi-beer garden they had. I learned in the video it was demolished in 2013, the year I got married. Apt.

And Soi Zero, wow. Rooster Bar 😂

Thank you Bangkok Pat, love your work  👍🏻

• Like 2

Hi Pat

Do you have/access to some older vids of Suvarnabhumi Airport and Don Mueang Airport.

Would be very interesting to see the changes in the buildings and aircraft types.

Thank you and keep up the good work👍

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Andrew Reeve said:

Hi Pat

Do you have/access to some older vids of Suvarnabhumi Airport and Don Mueang Airport.

Would be very interesting to see the changes in the buildings and aircraft types.

Thank you and keep up the good work👍

Don Muang, I'm trying to compile some old photos of, and Suvarnabhumi has only been an airport in the last 15yrs, there are some old pics of construction and the swamp before it started. I will have a look for you but maybe Youtube has a few videos of the airport in the early days, not so much Don Muang as it ceased major operations before everyone had camera phones.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, BigHewer said:

I’m reposting the “5 Decades of Nana” video. Absolutely compulsory viewing for anyone who has some history in the lower Sois of Sukhumvit. Watch it, I couldn’t recommend it enough. Such a well-crafted story and so many tidbits to mull over. 

Clinton Plaza… my first trip to Bangkok many years ago. Had forgotten about it.

And the Golden Palace Hotel on Soi 1? Wow. That was my hotel of choice in the early days. Met some great folks there in the courtyard/ bring your own quasi-beer garden they had. I learned in the video it was demolished in 2013, the year I got married. Apt.

And Soi Zero, wow. Rooster Bar 😂

Thank you Bangkok Pat, love your work  👍🏻

Ah the nostalgia for a mere 20 years ago, a 2 star Hotel in a smelly soi, tacky bar beer complex and cheap bar girls, you can almost small the durex. Paradise lost, for some. 😃

Don Muang, I'm trying to compile some old photos of, and Suvarnabhumi has only been an airport in the last 15yrs, there are some old pics of construction and the swamp before it started. I will have a look for you but maybe Youtube has a few videos of the airport in the early days, not so much Don Muang as it ceased major operations before everyone had camera phones.

Much appreciated Pat

Anyone with history in Bangkok will appreciate this video. Interesting, sad and somehow optimistic at the same time. Very well put together and some great stories.

Pat, I had no idea Bully’s had been demolished. (I “lost” Soi Zero and the the Golden Palace Hotel in the last video I watched).

Can you maybe do a video of places that are still open when all around them are gone? 😁

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Bangkok_Pat said:

I'm not really that great for updates about what is open, as I don't really keep up with it all.

What I meant Pat was long-term establishments that are still open amid redevelopment all around them. You’ve shown a few examples of this in some of your videos already.

In any event, looking forward to more content and keep up the great work.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BigHewer said:

What I meant Pat was long-term establishments that are still open amid redevelopment all around them. You’ve shown a few examples of this in some of your videos already.

In any event, looking forward to more content and keep up the great work.

Oh right, now I understand what you mean. There are a few survivors that have stood up regardless of the development around them. But are also slowly getting picked off bit by bit....

Good idea!

• Like 2

Finally a proper video about the cats of Bangkok. Featuring the cat mafia, cat exorcists, untold stories, cat urban legends. A light hearted & FUN look at feline related life in the city.

This video was requested by subscribers and is also a celebration of reaching over 5000 subscribers

• Like 4

This video was requested by subscribers and is also a celebration of reaching over 5000 subscribers

Congratulations Pat, a mighty fine video and right up my street👍

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Bangkok_Pat said:

Finally a proper video about the cats of Bangkok. Featuring the cat mafia, cat exorcists, untold stories, cat urban legends. A light hearted & FUN look at feline related life in the city.

Great video, Pat. I was always curious about the cats everywhere in Bangkok.

In the community co-op where I live, there is a 1200 yen (350 baht) annual fee per house to maintain 20 cats which patrol and protect our area. Never saw a single rat, mouse or ferret, but elsewhere in the city, they’re  all over. Shout out to the cats!

• Like 1

On 11/5/2021 at 11:13 PM, BigHewer said:

Great video, Pat. I was always curious about the cats everywhere in Bangkok.

In the community co-op where I live, there is a 1200 yen (350 baht) annual fee per house to maintain 20 cats which patrol and protect our area. Never saw a single rat, mouse or ferret, but elsewhere in the city, they’re  all over. Shout out to the cats!

It's a contrast to the days when you'd find several stray dogs on most street corners, even in tourist areas, and they slowly got moved on, neutered or put down. Now the cats are out in force, even in Lumpini Park where I didn't a single lizard on land in the few hours I was there.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bangkok_Pat said:

It's a contrast to the days when you'd find several stray dogs on most street corners, even in tourist areas, and they slowly got moved on, neutered or put down. Now the cats are out in force, even in Lumpini Park where I didn't a single lizard on land in the few hours I was there.

Same here. I used to see stray dogs around when I first moved to Osaka, but I don’t think I’ve seen a single one in the last ten years. The cats have all moved in as the apex predator 🐈

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/6/2021 at 11:58 PM, Bangkok_Pat said:

That's strange. My first time to Lumpini I saw at least 5 BIG lizards sunning themselves or lounging in the water.

Stray dogs are hanging about where I am at, I pass them every day when I walk to BTS or 7-11. Not neutered because there are 2 new pups laying about. This is human encouraged as they reside where trash trucks congregate or are parked. The collectors like to feed pigeons and the dogs...Once you get used to the smell it's not so bad hehe. Good place to pick up some second hand goods if you know the right people!

I walked by accident in to some kind of what I thought was an open market only to be confronted by a stand off between a sheepish looking cat and two rather large rats. The rats were unconcerned by the cat. I thinkI have only seen maybe 3 rats total since I have been here which I found a little surprising.

Bangkok Pat is in my opinion the Alan Wicker of Bangkok.  

A very knowledgeable and easy going presenter who covers so much and leaves the viewer eagerly waiting for the next instalment of life past and present in the City. 

Thank you Pat for all your hard work and for entertaining the rest of us. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gazmo16 said:

Bangkok Pat is in my opinion the Alan Wicker of Bangkok.  

A very knowledgeable and easy going presenter who covers so much and leaves the viewer eagerly waiting for the next instalment of life past and present in the City. 

Thank you Pat for all your hard work and for entertaining the rest of us. 

Yep. He seems to have taken to this medium quite nicely.

Well done, Pat!

• 4 weeks later...