The best places in Thailand to retire

Thaiger

50 minutes ago, Rain said:

Yet, wanna continue to live here in their negativity and misery - 

This list not so good. Interested if Ann Carter go how many place in Thailand. I think southern is best for live. Have clean air. But Phuket have traffic to much.

31 minutes ago, Rain said:

Very common and certainly quite odd, if not a backward behaviour.

They don't like the place or the society - nor do they understand much. 

Want everything to be like their beloved West.

I'm all in favour of rounding up these useless types, secretly, and finding themselves mysteriously disappeared. No loss, really.

In a basic sense I can agree with the sentiment of your opinion and desired solution. I would point out however there is a flaw to consider. It would probably undermine the viability of this and other similar forums as well as provoke outrage citing human rights to be negative and miserable ! Even if that be individuals already long departed from Thailand but insist on constantly revisiting the source of or target of that negativity and misery via the internet. 😜

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Metaluna said:

I was socially distant long before social distancing became fashionable. The last Westerner aside from me moved out of the village during the 2011 flood. Things are peaceful here. Mostly retired people from the Ministry of Education--they seemed to have congregated in this village for some reason. 

I’m not a racist, per say. I just want to avoid cheap, grumpy, low educated foreigners. They can be spotted complaining about anything Thai, but continue to live here in misery. 

2 hours ago, Yinn said:

And male menopause make it worse. 😋

Menopause stricken women in their 40’s but it mostly strikes men in their 60s or 70s. I believe it mostly due to reduced testosterone production. It might explain why some old men complain so much. 

24 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Menopause might explain why some old men complain so much. 

Correct. 
Not every man get it. It cause high irritability, mood swings, frustration and low self esteem. 
The doctor can help.

Technically you can not retire to Thailand.

You can get a year by year 'old man visa', you can not buy a house to retire to, you are at the behest of the Thai visa policy which can change at any minute, you still have to report to the authorities every three months like someone on criminal bail.

Retirement is a normally seen as a permanent option, it is not available in Thailand as it is in many other countries. 

But it is still a great place for long holidays. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rain said:

Very common and certainly quite odd, if not a backward behaviour.

They don't like the place or the society - nor do they understand much. 

Want everything to be like their beloved West.

I'm all in favour of rounding up these useless types, secretly, and finding themselves mysteriously disappeared. No loss, really.

I though that that was the purpose of Pattaya.

10 hours ago, Yinn said:

Correct. 
Not every man get it. It cause high irritability, mood swings, frustration and low self esteem. 
The doctor can help.

Some might return to their home country that has cooler weather to boost their mood. 

• 2 months later...
On 9/27/2021 at 6:15 PM, Metaluna said:

I work at the language every day. No complaints about my life, my neighbors, my village. Would be happy to stay here until I die. I would be sick if I had to return to the US. My world is small here and I prefer it that way. The only thing I try to recreate from the US is Tex Mex.

I feel the same as you, I wouldn't give the secret of my location as I don't want the drama associated with foreigners from ANY Country.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 9/27/2021 at 7:21 AM, Metaluna said:

None of these. They are places all overrun with foreigners.  I'm the only foreigner in my suburban village on the edge of Bangkok, near Nakhon Pathom. And I want to keep it that way.

So do the rest of us.😃

"Plenty of northern European expats flock to Hua Hin, so it’s reminiscent of a Scandinavian town."

Stockholm it ain't ....😆😆

"Live in luxury for pennies in the dollar"

What absolute garbage.

Shame on Tiager for spruiking such rubbish.

Your money can definitely stretch farther here, allowing you to live in luxury for pennies on the dollar.

What a bunch of bull!

Presumably by luxury it means living under a canopy of banana leaves, eating what you can forage and rummaging through garbage bins for the rest of your needs. 

Depending on your lifestyle, the cost of living is less but not to the extent of pennies on the dollar, more like 25/35% less compared against rural America. The UK is probably more given the tax burden and other factors, 50% or more at a guess. Other European countries probably much the same.

5 hours ago, Disenfranchised said:

Your money can definitely stretch farther here, allowing you to live in luxury for pennies on the dollar.

What a bunch of bull!

Presumably by luxury it means living under a canopy of banana leaves, eating what you can forage and rummaging through garbage bins for the rest of your needs. 

Depending on your lifestyle, the cost of living is less but not to the extent of pennies on the dollar, more like 25/35% less compared against rural America. The UK is probably more given the tax burden and other factors, 50% or more at a guess. Other European countries probably much the same.

Thailand is as cheap as chips.

Eg a nice three bed detached house on a gated area in Phuket costs 5 million baht, at a similar sea side resort say in Brighton UK costs 43 million.

Cars in Thailand are much cheaper to buy.

Food is much cheaper, in the shops and in restaurants.

I suppose the oldies struggling to live in Thailand on a tiny pension might think it is expensive thought.