News Forum - Transgender who fled to Thailand faces extradition to Malaysia

Thaiger

9 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

That raises the question, would (or even could) we really boycott ME oil?

Yes. But you would have to pay more for the oil from other sources.

7 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

I would argue that in South Africa and Rhodesia they did work. It did take a long time though.

Based on what?

There's no more evidence or even indication that the sanctions worked than there is that they changed because I had a shave.

1 hour ago, JohninDubin said:

Is TH a signatory to the 1951 UN Convention on Asylum? It seems to me that this case would qualify.

It's actually the UN Convention on Refugees, but 'no' it's not. 

Neither is the US, nor are countries that are host to the most refugees.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Stonker said:

Based on what?

There's no more evidence or even indication that the sanctions worked than there is that they changed because I had a shave.

Actually when I spoke to a South African (I know its anecdotal) he said the biggest issue for him was the sports boycott. No international rugby.

Now at a government level that probably meant nothing but the lack of access to international banking and credit was making a huge difference. They could see the west charging ahead in the 80's and 90's but the country was slowly going bankrupt.

As I said earlier I wish I had some magic bullet to fix the issue but sanctions are all I can think of that MIGHT work.

Its worth a try.

1 hour ago, Rookiescot said:

Its odd. When you look at the extremes of the political spectrum both fascists and communists behave the same

Agreed. I’ve always thought the political spectrum is more of a circle where the extremes meet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rookiescot said:

Yes. But you would have to pay more for the oil from other sources.

I am not sure that would be the case as oil is priced globally. It is even possible to envisage a scenario where ME countries would price their oil in order to claw-back market share if the west decided to stop buying ME.

It seems likely to me, that the ME may have to rely on third party countries to buy and broker their oil if there was a boycott. But if you turn turn off the "taps" in the ME, there will be shortages. However if the ME were forced to cut prices by say $5 per barrel, that would amount to a $33 Bn a year loss to the Gulf States who produce 18.2 mill barrels per day. That might make them think if we can stand the pain longer than they can.

In 2014-16, there was a sustained fall in the oil price as OPEC tried to undermine fracking, but eventually the Arabs felt the pain most and dropped the strategy. During that time, the price dropped from $115 to $38.

5 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Actually when I spoke to a South African (I know its anecdotal) he said the biggest issue for him was the sports boycott. No international rugby.

Now at a government level that probably meant nothing but the lack of access to international banking and credit was making a huge difference. They could see the west charging ahead in the 80's and 90's but the country was slowly going bankrupt.

As I said earlier I wish I had some magic bullet to fix the issue but sanctions are all I can think of that MIGHT work.

Its worth a try.

The danger is that it could equally have the reverse effect and unite the country against a common enemy, as happened in Cuba and is very clearly happening in Iran.

When they see hospitals unable to treat simple ailments with basic medicines, they don't see it as because of their religious beliefs but because the West is blocking them from getting basic human necessities.