News Forum - Tourism operators slam government as re-opening postponed to November

Thaiger

19 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

You mean Sinovax? This is about as effective as a chocolate fireguard. 

Chocolate fireguards who brought the RTP in on the thread.....🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Sorry... How much of any many types of Durian have you really tasted every year? Years in and years out? 

.............How much of any many types of Durian have you really tasted every year? Years in and years out? 

Gottta love Durian. Many ways to prepare it. 

???

10 hours ago, Bob20 said:

You apparently join the queue of the clueless.

It's not about whether you are double vaccinated.

It's about anyone moving and spreading the virus to the unvaccinated people. Nothing has changed for those unprotected people.

That's why there should not be free movement across the country, neither for Thais nor for foreign tourists.

And you can shout as much as you like, opening up to foreigners won't help a lot as Thailand is on the red-list of most countries and those tourists won't come anyway.

And if Thailand creates more problems with another spike in infections from all the movements, they won't come off the red-list anytime soon either, delaying opening even further!

https://thethaiger.com/talk/topic/5684-news-forum-tourism-operators-slam-government-as-re-opening-postponed-to-november/?do=findComment&comment=67293

Well said Bob.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JohninDubin said:

My kids are getting Pfizer in a couple of weeks. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HolyCowCm said:

Sorry... How much of any many types of Durian have you really tasted every year? Years in and years out? 

.............How much of any many types of Durian have you really tasted every year? Years in and years out? 

Gottta love Durian. Many ways to prepare it. 

Why are you concerned about my durian consumption?

There's thread drift, and then there's thread drift....🤔🤔🤔

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DiJoDavO said:

Are you sure? If those were the qualities needed to be PM, how are we stuck with the current leaders? 😂

Ah well, the current one also had an “Army” of supporters 😉

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Sorry, but you are a piece of work there. And I religiously eat durian when in season but no way in hades I can or will stomach that comment. Where you located? Just curious and will leave it at that. But for everyone’s sake stay away from the people in public. That is not your given right. 

Do you know if you eat Durian and then go out on a bender you're likely to die, or if you get lucky the worst hangover you have ever experienced!

Bizarre but true

Carry on ....

3 hours ago, Benroon said:

Do you know if you eat Durian and then go out on a bender you're likely to die, or if you get lucky the worst hangover you have ever experienced!

Bizarre but true

Carry on ....

Although there is some truth to this Thai wives' tale it's not as straightforward as that. 

There was a Japanese university study that looked into this very thing, and while they did find that there are naturally occurring enzymes present in durian that inhibit the body's ability to process alcohol in the body, the study showed that there would have to be extremely high quantities of alcohol present in the body for this to create any threat.

In other words, unless you're drinking spirits very quickly in high quantities, you've got absolutely nothing to worry about. 

4 hours ago, Benroon said:

Bizarre but true

Carry on ....

And the worst hangover!?

Seriously!?

Some very smelly shites the next day, I'm not denying that.

It's a mess alright. And it's not as if businesses can turn reopening on a dime. There needs to be a reopening plan, federally and each province that when certain parameters are reached, certain freedoms return. But reopening dates tha keep being delayed are just demoralising for everyone. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bob20 said:

Nobody seems to understand.

There is no OPENING DATE

There is a minimum vaccination percentage after which opening is relatively safe.

The pressure to open comes from individuals and businesses for economic reasons, but the government screwed up by concentrating the vaccinations on the Bangkok area, whilst they should have blanket vaccinated everywhere.

They have no policy or vision, proven by the daily inconsistent press releases.

Here on this forum too, we should be concerned for the ones that did not get a chance to be vaccinated, before you put them at risk.

You can make more money in a few months time. It will be nice if you stop your pushing, so that other people are still alive then.

You should realize that the majority of Thais not living on pension and receive monthly high pension. They have to work and feed their families paying bills and schools. Or do you care for millions of Thais now. You seamed to be living in a bubble but not on the ground of the reality where people have to work for a living. And by the way all people I heard til today had covid said when they had a flu it was harder, so the majority has no hard symptoms and as we know many are dying from flu, too but never lockdown the whole country. Maybe you can explain us from where the money will come from to make lockdowns after lockdowns, I think there are millions who wanna know, maybe you can enlighten us. But to live on a pension and pushing for lockdowns while you get your monthly money for you and not have to care for children is like you living in your own bubble.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Bob20 said:

Nobody seems to understand.

There is no OPENING DATE

There is a minimum vaccination percentage after which opening is relatively safe.

The pressure to open comes from individuals and businesses for economic reasons, but the government screwed up by concentrating the vaccinations on the Bangkok area, whilst they should have blanket vaccinated everywhere.

They have no policy or vision, proven by the daily inconsistent press releases.

Here on this forum too, we should be concerned for the ones that did not get a chance to be vaccinated, before you put them at risk.

You can make more money in a few months time. It will be nice if you stop your pushing, so that other people are still alive then.

To read you don't need money and you can pay your bills in a unknown date in the future as sombody who has to feed a family with children and have to pay bills every month and cover living costs made me spitting the coffee over the table. I guess many who have to care for a family asking themself on wich planet is this guy living or where can I get a ticket to this planet?

11 hours ago, JohninDubin said:

I'm not  a Sinovax fan. It's old technology.  That said studies have shown if is effective against severe disease. Vaccine effectiveness is divided by three or more concerns: 1) prevent the disease,2)prevents serious disease (ICU) admits,3) death. Although not as effective as ASTRO or the mRNA vaccines it still has a positive effect. Sure some Sinovax vaccinated patients still get sick, the outcome is generally better. Looking at individual cases is very misleading.

17 hours ago, Bob20 said:

Much less, as some have been triple jabbed already (to be deducted from the total) and many have been single jabbed and are still waiting for their 2nd.

Maybe 15m double jabbed, 25m single jabbed and 5m triple jabbed (not claiming to be correct, but showing the division in numbers). 

FFS look at the link or at least read the title in the link.

The link has nothing to do with the number of vaccinations, single or triple jabbed, etc, but is specifically about those "fully vaccinated".

18 minutes ago, Stardust said:

To read you don't need money and you can pay your bills in a unknown date in the future as sombody who has to feed a family with children and have to pay bills every month and cover living costs made me spitting the coffee over the table. I guess many who have to care for a family asking themself on wich planet is this guy living or where can I get a ticket to this planet?

1 hour ago, Stardust said:

You should realize that the majority of Thais not living on pension and receive monthly high pension. They have to work and feed their families paying bills and schools. Or do you care for millions of Thais now. You seamed to be living in a bubble but not on the ground of the reality where people have to work for a living. And by the way all people I heard til today had covid said when they had a flu it was harder, so the majority has no hard symptoms and as we know many are dying from flu, too but never lockdown the whole country. Maybe you can explain us from where the money will come from to make lockdowns after lockdowns, I think there are millions who wanna know, maybe you can enlighten us. But to live on a pension and pushing for lockdowns while you get your monthly money for you and not have to care for children is like you living in your own bubble.

Odd. You keep constantly talking about "working for an international company" so it's unlikely to affect you directly unless you're the mama-san in a farang-owned go-go bar! 😂 

Seriously, the idea that the only people who support lockdowns are foreigners living on secure pensions is wide of the mark.

I live in an area which, though rural, relies heavily on tourism (mainly domestic) but they (the tour guides, restaurant and souvenir shop staff and owners, etc, not the government) decided pretty much unanimously to self-impose a lockdown on all the tourist sites and closed them all, and they're still closed several months later.

Sure, a lot are feeling the pinch and it's hurting but it's better than the alternative. 

14 hours ago, LoongFred said:

I don't disagree. Let those protected go out. If not protected they should avoid exposure. Those not vaccinate  should avoid crowded venues.  We need to get on with life. 

I not a fan of long term lock  down.

Vaccinated tourist would be OK.

Are you serious?

So 20% of the country (and the vaccinated tourists) should be able to "go out", while as a consequence the other 80% can't ??? 😯

13 hours ago, Rip255 said:

We're at that stage of the game where unvaxxed need to isolate themselves until they get the vaccine. Everyone else needs to now work twice as hard to make up for lost income. 

We dont all need to put our lives on hold while we wait for every last person to get vaccinated. Especially young people. 

Choose your own level of risk. Here in Pattaya, people might not be saying these things publicly but judging by their actions its what theyre thinking.

So 80% of the population should "isolate themselves until they get the vaccine" while the other 20% "work twice as hard"?

Evidently you're not alone in thinking that, but even working twice as hard that would still leave only 40% of the work being done - with a lot of extra work being done by the 20% to look after the 80%.

13 hours ago, Rip255 said:

... the rest of us have to get back to work and try to get ahead in life. 

Might I ask what work you have to "get back to" that's so important that 80% of the population should "isolate themselves until they get the vaccine" to allow you to do so?

10 hours ago, Benroon said:

Bizarre but true

Carry on ....

My wife forbids me to eat durian while drinking, but no problem to ride a bike while drinking. Yeah, I know that as the mixing becomes toxic.

3 hours ago, LoongFred said:

I'm not  a Sinovax fan. It's old technology.  That said studies have shown if is effective against severe disease. Vaccine effectiveness is divided by three or more concerns: 1) prevent the disease,2)prevents serious disease (ICU) admits,3) death. Although not as effective as ASTRO or the mRNA vaccines it still has a positive effect. Sure some Sinovax vaccinated patients still get sick, the outcome is generally better. Looking at individual cases is very misleading.

There have been studies regarding the efficacy of Sinovax, and the conclusions are that it produces 55% of the antibodies that the Western Vaxxes produce, but more importantly, these decline at the rate of 50% every 40 days. Thus after 4 months, recipients antibodies are down to just over 6% of it's initial already poor effectiveness. This half-life effect means that it becomes a better "back door" for new variants. 

Regarding "old technology", we are still using Salk's polio vaccine from 1956. It's not the age of the technology, but the effectiveness and durability of the technology that matters. There is something so "Chinese" about this. They have shown that they can produce world class electronics, albeit through enforced technology transfer or patent infringement, but if you go into the equivalent of a £ shop, you will see many of the goods on sale are Chinese, of poor quality and unlikely to function for very long, But they seem to take the attitude that if it's cheap, and it's good enough for 1.4 BN Chinese, then it's good enough for the rest of the world.

25 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

There have been studies regarding the efficacy of Sinovax, and the conclusions are that it produces 55% of the antibodies that the Western Vaxxes produce, but more importantly, these decline at the rate of 50% every 40 days. Thus after 4 months, recipients antibodies are down to just over 6% of it's initial already poor effectiveness. This half-life effect means that it becomes a better "back door" for new variants. 

Regarding "old technology", we are still using Salk's polio vaccine from 1956. It's not the age of the technology, but the effectiveness and durability of the technology that matters. There is something so "Chinese" about this. They have shown that they can produce world class electronics, albeit through enforced technology transfer or patent infringement, but if you go into the equivalent of a £ shop, you will see many of the goods on sale are Chinese, of poor quality and unlikely to function for very long, But they seem to take the attitude that if it's cheap, and it's good enough for 1.4 BN Chinese, then it's good enough for the rest of the world.

I don't disagree but the antibodies are less important than the memory cells. 

Sinovax seems to have been a made in a hurry.  Probably because they couldn't copy western technology fast enough. 

The Biden admistration wanted to removed all patent protections for the mRNA vaccines, probably to benefit the Chinese.  Since it's being donated for free to a lot of places, I wonder why.

The technology is freely available from university of Pittsburgh so other nations organizations are free to develop. Chulalongkorn university is not validating there version.

8 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

I don't disagree but the antibodies are less important than the memory cells. 

Sinovax seems to have been a made in a hurry.  Probably because they couldn't copy western technology fast enough. 

The Biden admistration wanted to removed all patent protections for the mRNA vaccines, probably to benefit the Chinese.  Since it's being donated for free to a lot of places, I wonder why.

The technology is freely available from university of Pittsburgh so other nations organizations are free to develop. Chulalongkorn university is not validating there version.

SARS. 2003.

They didn't need to 'copy' western technology.

1 minute ago, LoongFred said:

I wouldn't be too suspicious of Biden's motives. It makes sense to me that the easier it is for people to get effective vaccines everywhere, the quicker the world can go into recovery mode.

England which together with Ireland used to be the end of the known world, has an 800 year history of hearing of reports of strange diseases in the Mediterranean, a distance of about 800 miles, only for them to arrive on their doorstep 2 years later. Nowadays, asymptomatic cases can be on the other side of the world in a matter of 24 hours. Removing restrictions allows those countries with Pharma infrastructure to produce their own vaccines and speeds up the process of economic recovery.

32 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

I wouldn't be too suspicious of Biden's motives. It makes sense to me that the easier it is for people to get effective vaccines everywhere, the quicker the world can go into recovery mode.

England which together with Ireland used to be the end of the known world, has an 800 year history of hearing of reports of strange diseases in the Mediterranean, a distance of about 800 miles, only for them to arrive on their doorstep 2 years later. Nowadays, asymptomatic cases can be on the other side of the world in a matter of 24 hours. Removing restrictions allows those countries with Pharma infrastructure to produce their own vaccines and speeds up the process of economic recovery.

However giving away manufacturing process stimies future development.  Of course there are profit motives, but these in turn future development.  Actually because production was ramped up early the US has had an excess.

The big thing with mRNA technology for me is how it will be used to fight other diseases in the future.  Few realize that these breakthroughs mean to future therapeutics. I know that mRNA isn't exactly  new, but the ability to produce it on a large scale is monumental.