News Forum - Tourism operators slam government as re-opening postponed to November

Thaiger

4 hours ago, Soidog said:

The encouraging things about this guy is that he’s Thai. With common sense, logical thinking, planning skills and straight talking like that, he should be the next PM

He is well respected within the aviation industry and has done a remarkable job to date keeping thai air aisa afloat with zero government assistance.

Sadly the attributes that make him such a good private sector ceo means he is totally unsuitable for the murky world of politics.

6 hours ago, Bob20 said:

Nobody seems to understand.

There is no OPENING DATE

There is a minimum vaccination percentage after which opening is relatively safe.

The pressure to open comes from individuals and businesses for economic reasons, but the government screwed up by concentrating the vaccinations on the Bangkok area, whilst they should have blanket vaccinated everywhere.

They have no policy or vision, proven by the daily inconsistent press releases.

Here on this forum too, we should be concerned for the ones that did not get a chance to be vaccinated, before you put them at risk.

You can make more money in a few months time. It will be nice if you stop your pushing, so that other people are still alive then.

I agree that initially there were screwups and it looked like it would go away.  Not enough vaccines were purchased and the ones they got didn't do the job. However not they seem to be going full steam ahead. Vaccines are the critical part because increasing evidence shows vaccinated people avoid severe disease for the most part. A vaccinated public should be allowed to return to normal life with some precautions. Covid will most likely become endemic but people will learn how to live

8 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

I agree that initially there were screwups and it looked like it would go away.  Not enough vaccines were purchased and the ones they got didn't do the job. However not they seem to be going full steam ahead. Vaccines are the critical part because increasing evidence shows vaccinated people avoid severe disease for the most part. A vaccinated public should be allowed to return to normal life with some precautions. Covid will most likely become endemic but people will learn how to live

No, you do not understand.

If you are vaccinated you are not likely to get sick or die, but you still transfer the virus to others who are vulnerable.

The vaccinated are lucky to be protected, and need to show patience and restraint not to spread the virus until others have been vaccinated and protected  too.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

But Songkran was 6 months ago, so the country is in a much better place than it was then. 

Not sure how you equate that to the reality? By April 15th, there had been 37k infections in the first 15 months. That figure has increased 40 fold in the 162 days since. Breaking it down on a "day by day" basis, average infections per day have gone from less than 70 by Apr 15th, to over 9k from that date to  today. 

Put it another way, there have been almost as many infections in the past three days, as there were in the first 15 months.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Cathat said:

He is well respected within the aviation industry and has done a remarkable job to date keeping thai air aisa afloat with zero government assistance.

Sadly the attributes that make him such a good private sector ceo means he is totally unsuitable for the murky world of politics.

Sadly that’s often the way. Most people get excited by politicians who actually want to get things done and tackle the difficult issues. Unfortunately most politicians are experts at kicking the can down the road, compromise to the point where nothing really changes and focusing on the next election. Politicians and PM’s should be set measurable objectives linked to pay and bonus. Fail and you feel it where it hurts. Never happen of course but one can dream !

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

No, you do not understand.

If you are vaccinated you are not likely to get sick or die, but you still transfer the virus to others who are vulnerable.

The vaccinated are lucky to be protected, and need to show patience and restraint not to spread the virus until others have been vaccinated and protected  too.

I don't disagree. Let those protected go out. If not protected they should avoid exposure. Those not vaccinate  should avoid crowded venues.  We need to get on with life. 

I not a fan of long term lock  down.

Vaccinated tourist would be OK.

Just now, LoongFred said:

I don't disagree. Let those protected go out. If not protected they should avoid exposure. Those not vaccinate  should avoid crowded venues.  We need to get on with life. 

Never mind. You clearly don't understand how it works.

Hope you live far away ☺️

59 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

But Songkran was 6 months ago, so the country is in a much better place than it was then. 

You can stay at home if you're worried. Don't impose your own safety fears on the rest of us.

Sorry, but you are a piece of work there. And I religiously eat durian when in season but no way in hades I can or will stomach that comment. Where you located? Just curious and will leave it at that. But for everyone’s sake stay away from the people in public. That is not your given right. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, MrStretch said:

Of course they are frustrated, they don't give a flying f*** about anything but their businesses.

Got Covid on my shelves for people to catch? No problem, as long as I have customers.

Got Covid in the bar for people to catch? No problem, as long as I have some baht coming in.

Got Covid around the swimming pool? No problem, as long as my occupancy rate is high.

I no longer sympathize with these a-holes.  Their continued lack of understanding that, in this public health crisis, unless there is a safe way to do this, it shouldn't be done because it will cost even more in the long run.

10 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Tourism operators have expressed frustration as Thailand’s re-opening is pushed back a month, primarily due to inadequate vaccination levels. The re-opening of Bangkok, Chon Buri, Chiang Mai, Hua Hin, and Phetchaburi has been postponed from October 1 to November 1. According to a Bangkok Post report, this is the third time the re-opening of Pattaya, Chiang Mai, and Hua Hin has been delayed, with vaccine shortages being the reason given each time. Thai Air Asia’s largest shareholder, Asia Aviation, has expressed frustration at the delay, with executive chairman Tassapon Bijleveld saying the flip-flopping is damaging the country’s reputation. “Airlines had […]

The post Tourism operators slam government as re-opening postponed to November appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

For so long the pandemic was in control within Thailand. But with clusters breaking out in 5 star whorehouses, Illegal workers entering unchecked or paying bribes, Gambling dens operating with kickbacks to the police and the authorities doing jack about it, there is little choice but to extend the lockdown as the daily cases are still over 10,000+. Especially with Anutin mishandling the acquiring of vaccines and test kits. But eventually the world has to return to normal. As the lockdown continue then the authorities should enforce the laws they make.

What surprises me is that anyone believed those areas were going to open in October, it was obvious it would never happen.

That is why I continue to hold back booking a flight as the information is all nonsense at the moment, they can not open until those areas have 80% vaccination coverage, that is months and months away.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JamesR said:

What surprises me is that anyone believed those areas were going to open in October, it was obvious it would never happen.

That is why I continue to hold back booking a flight as the information is all nonsense at the moment, they can not open until those areas have 80% vaccination coverage, that is months and months away.

I will just book a ticket when everything is ok. Why can't everyone else?

Otherwise you're just getting frustrated. Far be it from me to say there's a lot of frustrated people about. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Soidog said:

The encouraging things about this guy is that he’s Thai. With common sense, logical thinking, planning skills and straight talking like that, he should be the next PM

Are you sure? If those were the qualities needed to be PM, how are we stuck with the current leaders? 😂

4 hours ago, Soidog said:

If they could administer 650,000 a day (average) then by my “fag packet” calculations, it would take another 80 days to get 85% of people 16+ vaccinated  plus 14 days for it to take full effect (can conveniently forget that bit😉). Let’s call it 90 day or 3 months. So they could theoretically get the job done by end of the year. However it’s not that simple. Many of the 43% given the first vaccine had Sinovac which is proving ineffective against the Delta variant, so to boost those will take perhaps another 40 days. Then there are those people who simply don’t come forward and need incentivising. All in, even with a highly optimistic 650,000 a day, it will be February 2022…..

Something went wrong in my calculations...

My answer was 20220.

• Haha 1

We're at that stage of the game where unvaxxed need to isolate themselves until they get the vaccine. Everyone else needs to now work twice as hard to make up for lost income. 

We dont all need to put our lives on hold while we wait for every last person to get vaccinated. Especially young people. 

Choose your own level of risk. Here in Pattaya, people might not be saying these things publicly but judging by their actions its what theyre thinking.

Old people with retirement savings and people on full salary while working from home want things shut down forever but the rest of us have to get back to work and try to get ahead in life. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bob20 said:

I'm vaccinated my friend. I'm not saying it for myself 

I'm saying it for the majority of people who are not protected yet, and whom you don't care about enough to suppress your insignificant urges a little longer.

Better for at risk people to take the normal precautions. 

No need for the whole country to self isolate.

2 hours ago, JohninDubin said:

Not sure how you equate that to the reality? By April 15th, there had been 37k infections in the first 15 months. That figure has increased 40 fold in the 162 days since. Breaking it down on a "day by day" basis, average infections per day have gone from less than 70 by Apr 15th, to over 9k from that date to  today. 

Put it another way, there have been almost as many infections in the past three days, as there were in the first 15 months.

I meant re vaccination program. 

1 hour ago, LoongFred said:

+1

1 hour ago, HolyCowCm said:

Obviously. 

Yeah. Sorry but I have read many things from him that I totally am at saying, no. Better he stays by himself. Dirty mouth is more like it. 

Durian. You either love it or you hate it. ....

Maybe a bit like lockdown. Some people love the idea, and others not so much 

37 minutes ago, Rip255 said:

We're at that stage of the game where unvaxxed need to isolate themselves until they get the vaccine. Everyone else needs to now work twice as hard to make up for lost income. 

We dont all need to put our lives on hold while we wait for every last person to get vaccinated. Especially young people. 

Choose your own level of risk. Here in Pattaya, people might not be saying these things publicly but judging by their actions its what theyre thinking.

Old people with retirement savings and people on full salary while working from home want things shut down forever but the rest of us have to get back to work and try to get ahead in life. 

Yep. Absolutely spot on. 

22 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Durian. You either love it or you hate it. ....

Maybe a bit like lockdown. Some people love the idea, and others not so much 

Sorry... How much of any many types of Durian have you really tasted every year? Years in and years out? 

.............How much of any many types of Durian have you really tasted every year? Years in and years out? 

Gottta love Durian. Many ways to prepare it.