News Forum - Tourism operators slam government as re-opening postponed to November

Thaiger

4 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

My wife forbids me to eat durian while drinking, but no problem to ride a bike while drinking. Yeah, I know that as the mixing becomes toxic.

Dr Benroon at your service 😌

1 hour ago, LoongFred said:

However giving away manufacturing process stimies future development.  Of course there are profit motives, but these in turn future development.  Actually because production was ramped up early the US has had an excess.

The big thing with mRNA technology for me is how it will be used to fight other diseases in the future.  Few realize that these breakthroughs mean to future therapeutics. I know that mRNA isn't exactly  new, but the ability to produce it on a large scale is monumental. 

I accept that there has to be the profit motive and I would never be in favour of confiscation of intellectual property rights. However, that would not have prevented the wealthiest nations from buying up these patents  in order to facilitate local production around the globe, and that would have sped up the process.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Soidog said:

😂😂. By 2003 they already had copied it 

One thing they don't need to copy is the releasing of horrible viruses to infect the world. They are the masters of that......🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

Just a thought on the Tourism Industry who are pushing for reopening. In the past 7 days, 1264 deaths from CV have been reported in TH. That's nearly 4 747's. 

If 4 747's from Thai Airways were to crash in one week, and the gov put a halt on selling airline tickets, would the Tourism Industry be pushing back against that. More to the point, it's likely that the figures will be in the same range next week and for several weeks to come.

It may not be the best of analogies, but can the Tourism Industry guarantee that among the hundreds of thousands they will serve each week, there will be no "patient zero's" either being brought into the country or exported?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Vaccinated tourists are not a threat when you take into consideration that the disease is already loose in the society. I can not understand what is so hard to understand about this? What is this really about?

What is the cost going to be for the goverment before they change thier minds on this issue?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, divrg said:

Vaccinated tourists are not a threat when you take into consideration that the disease is already loose in the society. I can not understand what is so hard to understand about this? What is this really about?

What is the cost going to be for the goverment before they change thier minds on this issue?

Why are they not a threat ? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Benroon said:

Usually on production of vital statistics! 

I was thinking more in the lines of giving my mother in law her annual inspection. 😝

5 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

I was thinking more in the lines of giving my mother in law her annual inspection. 😝

Unlike the mother in law I don’t appear to have an opening …..😀

7 hours ago, LoongFred said:

I don't disagree but the antibodies are less important than the memory cells. 

This is true in the long term but with statistically frequent insults to the immune system with COVID having a metric-tonne of antibodies provides a quicker defense. I do, however, think the dishwater vaccines are superior in that they provide a whole picture of the virus to the immune system. This could have some long-term benefits by providing memory cells to proteins other than the spike. Best bet (IMO) would be mRNA coupled with Sino-X but that would be a decision best not discussed with your medical practitioner...

7 hours ago, LoongFred said:

The Biden admistration wanted to removed all patent protections for the mRNA vaccines, probably to benefit the Chinese.  Since it's being donated for free to a lot of places, I wonder why.

No it was to placate India, he was originally dead set against the idea. Fact is the Chinese have had the mRNA technology since last year. They have manufacturing license from the company who created the Pfizer brand. However it’s only valid jabs used in china. Interestingly the Chinese are not using it. The theory is they are afraid if they do the citizens will stop accepting Sinovac and Sinopharm. Probably correct at that. 

14 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Unlike the mother in law I don’t appear to have an opening …..😀

Hahahahaha. Too bad your schedule suddenly filled up. Same as tourism operators she is probably wishing for a reopening as well. 

1 minute ago, EdwardV said:

No it was to placate India, he was originally dead set against the idea. Fact is the Chinese have had the mRNA technology since last year. They have manufacturing license from the company who created the Pfizer brand. However it’s only valid jabs used in china. Interestingly the Chinese are not using it. The theory is they are afraid if they do the citizens will stop accepting Sinovac and Sinopharm. Probably correct at that. 

hmmmm, really?

https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202109/1233797.shtml

On 9/24/2021 at 2:32 PM, HolyCowCm said:

Do the quarantine inPhuket Sandbox, hopefully have some freedom, and live your live from onwards. What’s so difficult ? 

Because many of us are living in countries which are completely open, we can do as we please and go where we please inside our own countries.

Why go back to Thailand now when most things are closed?

There are restrictions, the restrictions could get worse and then if we are tested positive on arrival we are locked away for weeks.

It makes no sense to go now. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

The two posts are not mutually exclusive. You don’t see anything familiar in the the fact China has the BioTech formula for several months, never used it on the population and now have their own? Seems I’ve seen this story many times. Looks like the Germans got screwed, which they can only blame themselves. Even so, using the global times as proof of anything is iffy at best. 

5 minutes ago, EdwardV said:

The two posts are not mutually exclusive. You don’t see anything familiar in the the fact China has the BioTech formula for several months, never used it on the population and now have their own? Seems I’ve seen this story many times. Looks like the Germans got screwed, which they can only blame themselves. Even so, using the global times as proof of anything is iffy at best. 

yes, this actually completely contradicts your story that the Chinese don't use mRNA tech to continue SinoVac/Pharm sales. they want it, but they're just lagging behind. 

https://www.ft.com/content/91cbc7ef-808d-448a-a832-2384f045dc35

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/chinas-mrna-covid-19-vaccine-maker-expects-efficacy-data-by-year-end

https://news.cgtn.com/news/2021-09-09/China-s-first-mRNA-vaccine-plant-to-start-operation-in-October-13q12rOMP3W/index.html

1 hour ago, Benroon said:

Why are they not a threat ? 

Much less of a threat in comparison. 

We all know that vaccinated people have reduced transmission, reduced viral load, and vaccinated travelers have been through far more stringent checks than the millions of Thais walking around spreading C19.

That's the point. 

20 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

yes, this actually completely contradicts your story that the Chinese don't use mRNA tech to continue SinoVac/Pharm sales.

You misunderstand what I wrote. However if it’s important to you to win the argument, I’ll be more than happy to concede. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fool.com/amp/investing/2021/09/01/why-biontechs-covid-vaccine-is-blocked-from-the-wo/

Edited by EdwardV
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, JamesR said:

Because many of us are living in countries which are completely open, we can do as we please and go where we please inside our own countries.

There are restrictions, the restrictions could get worse and then if we are tested positive on arrival we are locked away for weeks.

Only if you have attachments here. If not then fun vacation places elsewhere are available. Right now you couldn’t get me to step out of here as I have no desire to hoop jump and pay out of your nostrils the cost of doing it. 

8 hours ago, JamesR said:

Many businesses both big and small have gone under. It's sad to see places closed even if I didn't go there because it represents people's livelyhood. I live in a small place and initially welcomed the lighter traffic and smaller crowds, but now realize unlimited closures are a mistake. People are hurting not only from the virus but from having their hopes and dreams distroyed, There needs to be some balance.

Shocking how many people are debating the virus and vaccination when the story is whether Thailand will be open for tourism in November.

Is there some fundamental reason that people have to trot out their soapbox theories and opinions on every damned thread in the forum?