News Forum - Tourism operators slam government as re-opening postponed to November

Thaiger

Once it was July, then October 1, then again October 15 and now maybe November 1. So in the last 3 months nothing has changed, the vaccinations are either not available due to a no-supply, or they have been supplied and the men in the suits have diverted them to maximise their bank accounts. Then there is the Tourist, loaded down with money and he wants to land in the country of smiles, but he cannot because the system is set against him. Certificate of Entry, Form T8, Visa, Passport, Insurance for $100000, ASQ Hotel at approximately 1000bahts per square metre of room space, Test before he leaves his country, Test twice whilst in lockdown, then the horrendous flight charges, double and sometimes triple of what was 2019 prices.  Come on, wake up, everyone is hurting, Time to unlock to double vaccinated people, or perhaps the suits want the population to be so wrecked that they will not fight for themselves.

• Like 1

Simply not enough vaccinated local people too slow government response with ineffectual vaccines and combined with too onerous complicated requirements for vaccinated travelers 

A High season of sorts  from overseas tourists may happen Dec 2022 not much business before then

Edited by poohy
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ellenrocr said:

Once it was July, then October 1, then again October 15 and now maybe November 1. So in the last 3 months nothing has changed, the vaccinations are either not available due to a no-supply, or they have been supplied and the men in the suits have diverted them to maximise their bank accounts. Then there is the Tourist, loaded down with money and he wants to land in the country of smiles, but he cannot because the system is set against him. Certificate of Entry, Form T8, Visa, Passport, Insurance for $100000, ASQ Hotel at approximately 1000bahts per square metre of room space, Test before he leaves his country, Test twice whilst in lockdown, then the horrendous flight charges, double and sometimes triple of what was 2019 prices.  Come on, wake up, everyone is hurting, Time to unlock to double vaccinated people, or perhaps the suits want the population to be so wrecked that they will not fight for themselves.

You apparently join the queue of the clueless.

It's not about whether you are double vaccinated.

It's about anyone moving and spreading the virus to the unvaccinated people. Nothing has changed for those unprotected people.

That's why there should not be free movement across the country, neither for Thais nor for foreign tourists.

And you can shout as much as you like, opening up to foreigners won't help a lot as Thailand is on the red-list of most countries and those tourists won't come anyway.

And if Thailand creates more problems with another spike in infections from all the movements, they won't come off the red-list anytime soon either, delaying opening even further!

https://thethaiger.com/talk/topic/5684-news-forum-tourism-operators-slam-government-as-re-opening-postponed-to-november/?do=findComment&comment=67293

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

You obviously haven't seen my other posts... Thailand should not have opened up to Thais to drive around for fun either!

But it is. 

So let's deal with that fact and move on.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Nobody seems to understand. ... (snip) ...There is a minimum vaccination percentage after which opening is relatively safe.

No there isn't @Bob20! 😠

There is NO "minimum vaccination percentage after which opening is relatively safe".

NO respected scientists, doctors, virologists or epidemiologists support the idea of "herd immunity" based on 70%, 80% or 85% being vaccinated anymore.

NONE.  Name any. You block anti-vaxxers and anyone who doesn't agree with you for  supposedly not producing any current scientific evidence but keeps repeating the same point, but now you're doing the exact same thing, putting them in the shade!

All there is, as all the experts now agree, is a sliding scale where the more people who are vaccinated or who have been infected (or both), the less deaths and serious cases you'll have.

It couldn't be much simpler.

There's no medically or scientifically approved "minimum" - it's simply up to each government to make an arbitrary decision on where there's a balance between vaccination / post-infection levels and how many people it's acceptable to have dying from or seriously affected by Covid.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

But it is. 

So let's deal with that fact and move on.

Yup, we'll deal with that fact.

And as the situation deteriorates like after Songkran, you can moan about new restrictions...

5 hours ago, yetanother said:

"Tassapon has criticised the government for insufficient vaccine supplies in areas poised to re-open, adding that officials should have properly evaluated the curve of the pandemic and prepared risk management plans..."

what ! he expects competence in the current thai government !

what next ? honesty, transparency ,actual action against corruption ?

dreamer

The encouraging things about this guy is that he’s Thai. With common sense, logical thinking, planning skills and straight talking like that, he should be the next PM

• Like 2

5 hours ago, EdwardV said:

No doubt that’s been proven time again these last several months. You have to feel for the business. They were told to get ready, told it was guaranteed, spent money and now have to wait at least another month. People who have never had to make payroll, don’t understand. 

I agree @EdwardV, but come on. These people should know as we do that this is all BS stalling tactics. They would be far better off waiting until formal announcements are made. If you are silly enough to believe anything these guys say, then you kinda deserve what you get. Mind you, it amazes me how many expats believe it. I have friends in Thailand who regularly send me articles from the BKK Post claiming good news about reopening. I’ll make my plans to return once the country is reopened and been seen to be open for a few weeks. I would do the same if I had a business there. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Preston said:

When the government announces a reopening date for any province, tourist-related businesses will try to restart their businesses thus replenishing supplies and engaging workers.

Such random announcements thus:

1.  Deflect people away from bigger/real issues

2.  Help the economy a little (with money pumped back in by the SMEs)

3.  Give people hope and make them happy albeit for a little while thus they may not take to the street. 

Spot on remarks. 1&3 especially highlight what this is all about. It’s stalling tactics and nothing else. These leaders will meet in private and have the “real plan” in front of them. They will know exactly what the real dates for 70% fully vaccinated is (Jan-March 2022?). They will know when they intend to open night venues and relax international travel. They may not know exact dates yet, but they will know which month and they will know the exact criteria that has to be met. In addition to the 3 you have listed, you perhaps could add one more:

4) saving face 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Spot on remarks. 1&3 especially highlight what this is all about. It’s stalling tactics and nothing else. These leaders will meet in private and have the “real plan” in front of them. They will know exactly what the real dates for 70% fully vaccinated is (Jan-March 2022?). They will know when they intend to open night venues and relax international travel. They may not know exact dates yet, but they will know which month and they will know the exact criteria that has to be met. In addition to the 3 you have listed, you perhaps could add one more:

4) saving face 

Agreed. Unfortunately, while they claim to aim for 70%, we actually need 85%.

And on the day that they declare they are at 70%, I suspect they are actually at 50%, but haven't taken the 2-3 weeks into account for the second dose to become effective, basically being at 45%, being approx. half or what's required...

And the resulting excess deaths? We can see them in the statistics conveniently after the next elections.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Agreed. Unfortunately, while they claim to aim for 70%, we actually need 85%.

And on the day that they declare they are at 70%, I suspect they are actually at 50%, but haven't taken the 2-3 weeks into account for the second dose to become effective, basically being at 45%, being approx. half or what's required...

And the resulting excess deaths? We can see them in the statistics conveniently after the next elections.

Never mind 50%

seems were not even  50% of that 50%

Author
Richard Barrow in Thailand
 National Vaccination Rollout:
 DAY 103: 547,324
 DAY 104: 596,230 <— Sat
 DAY 105: 256,392 <— Sun
 DAY 106: 469,052
 DAY 107: 811,915
 DAY 108: 646,519
 DAY 109: 626,896
 TOTAL: 47,296,431 doses since 28 February
 23.1% of the population now vaccinated

Edited by poohy

4 minutes ago, poohy said:

Never mind 50%

Author

They're "official" figures.

So in reality maybe 50% of 50% of 50% ? 🤭

8 minutes ago, poohy said:

Never mind 50%

Author

Correct. This shows the percentage double vaccinated at around 23%

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/share-people-fully-vaccinated-covid?country=~THA

This shows the percentage of first vaccines. 

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/share-people-vaccinated-covid?country=~THA

12 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

They're "official" figures.

So in reality maybe 50% of 50% of 50% ? 🤭

If they could administer 650,000 a day (average) then by my “fag packet” calculations, it would take another 80 days to get 85% of people 16+ vaccinated  plus 14 days for it to take full effect (can conveniently forget that bit😉). Let’s call it 90 day or 3 months. So they could theoretically get the job done by end of the year. However it’s not that simple. Many of the 43% given the first vaccine had Sinovac which is proving ineffective against the Delta variant, so to boost those will take perhaps another 40 days. Then there are those people who simply don’t come forward and need incentivising. All in, even with a highly optimistic 650,000 a day, it will be February 2022…..

If they were doing more testing then it’s likely many millions by now have contracted the virus and don’t really need vaccinating. However, as they deliberately kept testing low, they have lost that opportunity. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Correct. This shows the percentage double vaccinated at around 23%

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/share-people-fully-vaccinated-covid?country=~THA

This shows the percentage of first vaccines. 

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/share-people-vaccinated-covid?country=~THA

Much less, as some have been triple jabbed already (to be deducted from the total) and many have been single jabbed and are still waiting for their 2nd.

Maybe 15m double jabbed, 25m single jabbed and 5m triple jabbed (not claiming to be correct, but showing the division in numbers). 

In any case, it will be months before we're prepared for opening up. And they should just say it instead of pushing it forward week by week. Then some solidly underpinned preparations can take place and the most needy can be assisted!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Soidog said:

If they could administer 650,000 a day (average) then by my “fag packet” calculations, it would take another 80 days to get 85% of people 16+ vaccinated  plus 14 days for it to take full effect (can conveniently forget that bit😉). Let’s call it 90 day or 3 months. So they could theoretically get the job done by end of the year. However it’s not that simple. Many of the 43% given the first vaccine had Sinovac which is proving ineffective against the Delta variant, so to boost those will take perhaps another 40 days. Then there are those people who simply don’t come forward and need incentivising. All in, even with a highly optimistic 650,000 a day, it will be February 2022…..

If they were doing more testing then it’s likely many millions by now have contracted the virus and don’t really need vaccinating. However, as they deliberately kept testing low, they have lost that opportunity. 

Too funny, I didn't do it on a cigarette packet, but we simultaneously posted similar things 🤭

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

For those that have a Thai translator on their arm, all the figures etc are on the Morpor? App. The icon with the speedo and syringe.

Yes, the fully reliable absolutely trustworthy official figures

🤣🤣🤣 I've run out of tissues again 🤣🤣🤣

1 minute ago, Bob20 said:

No, water/tears a plenty! Need absorbing power!

Oh, my mistake …. I thought you were suffering from diarrhoea! All this factual figures giving you the sh……..

🙃🙃🙃🙃

1 minute ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Oh, my mistake …. I thought you were suffering from diarrhoea! All this factual figures giving you the sh……..

🙃🙃🙃🙃

My tearducts literally work like the emoji 🤣

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bob20 said:

Yup, we'll deal with that fact.

And as the situation deteriorates like after Songkran, you can moan about new restrictions...

But Songkran was 6 months ago, so the country is in a much better place than it was then. 

You can stay at home if you're worried. Don't impose your own safety fears on the rest of us.

• Like 1

Just now, TheDirtyDurian said:

But Songkran was 6 months ago, so the country is in a much better place than it was then. 

You can stay at home if you're worried. Don't impose your own safety fears on the rest of us.

I'm vaccinated my friend. I'm not saying it for myself 

I'm saying it for the majority of people who are not protected yet, and whom you don't care about enough to suppress your insignificant urges a little longer.

• Like 1