News Forum - Anutin: US donation offer of 1 million vaccines never received

Thaiger

4 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Apparently citing chain of command technicalities, Minister of Public Health Anutin Charnvirakul denied a report that Thailand didn’t respond to the US offering a donation of 1 million free Pfizer vaccines. He said no official formal notice of an offer to donate vaccines was received by his ministry. Anutin explained that the chain of command for vaccine donations involves the United States Department of State passing on the offer to the US embassy in Bangkok who in turn conveys the information to the Thai government in order for them to respond to the offer. The minister stated that no such […]

The post Anutin: US donation offer of 1 million vaccines never received appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Knowing how the US state department works, it's probably their screw up. They're more interested in explaining why they weren't responsible in Afghanistan.  

2 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Knowing how the US state department works, it's probably their screw up. They're more interested in explaining why they weren't responsible in Afghanistan.  

You're not Thai by any chance? ☺️

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Not Thai. The current administration in US is better with talk than action. Exactly what have they achieved?

3 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Not Thai. The current administration in US is better with talk than action. Exactly what have they achieved?

Didn't mean anything in particular. Just immediately blaming someone else made me wonder... 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Didn't mean anything in particular. Just immediately blaming someone else made me wonder... 😉

I know if Sen Duckworth asked an aid to check it out with the State Department she'd get results in 24 hours.  After  all she's the one who said she was going to get 1m more doses of Pfizer. Now I  think she needs to deliver. 

Thailand really wants it so doubt if the delay is on this side.

5 hours ago, Thaiger said:

... He said no official formal notice of an offer to donate vaccines was received by his ministry. 

So having received the unofficial, informal notice but not the "official formal notice", the Health Authority didn't pick up the phone to ask the US Embassy for confirmation but they did ... precisely nothing.

Pretty clear where the priorities are.

US Senator T. Duckworth talked to the Thai Ambassador a month ago, the million doses of pfizer that were waiting, still waiting at that time,  to be sent. Maybe he inadvertently deleted the e mail to the government. Happens to me when I am farting around on facebook.

Luckily Senator Duckworth issued a press release. That stirred the pot. The Thai ambassador is now making a special visit to her office and Minister Anutin is sending out one convoluted excuse, deflection, after another. 

Friday afternoon, better pick up some more ice and limes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoongFred said:

I know if Sen Duckworth asked an aid to check it out with the State Department she'd get results in 24 hours.  After  all she's the one who said she was going to get 1m more doses of Pfizer. Now I  think she needs to deliver. 

Thailand really wants it so doubt if the delay is on this side.

Right. It couldn’t possibly be the responsibility of the Thai health minister who has bungled every aspect of the pandemic response.  I assume that this response will be your mantra for the next  3+ years

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, D2B2 said:

Right. It couldn’t possibly be the responsibility of the Thai health minister who has bungled every aspect of the pandemic response.  I assume that this response will be your mantra for the next  3+ years

I'm not ďefending him, but the  US state dept has bungled a lot so I'd not leave them out of it. Also Sen Duckworth was the one who made the  announcement about getting more needed vaccines. If it were me I'd see that it happened. Her pointing a finger at the Thai side doesn't look good for her.

Such a tough call.  Who to believe.

Tammy Duckworth.  A woman of great courage, determination and resilience with an amazing life story of accomplishment; or

Anutin.  Achievements, if any, unknown.

Think I am going to have to go with Tammy on this one.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Changnam43 said:

Tammy Duckworth.  A woman of great courage, determination and resilience with an amazing life story of accomplishment; or

Your countryman, your choice. Don't recall any world changing events featuring her though.......

Is she related to Jack of that ilk, from Coronation Street?

7 minutes ago, Changnam43 said:

Not me. She needs to deliver first. I don't think she's done much for Thailand except announcing the first 1.5m vaccines.  I'm happy to have gotten the vaccine myself. Not sure if she was the catalyst or not. After the US embassy  and US state department rejected requests for help from us citizen in Thailand, this offer come through that help all foreigners here. 

So far all I've seen from her is talk.

Just now, LoongFred said:

Not me. She needs to deliver first. I don't think she's done much for Thailand except announcing the first 1.5m vaccines.  I'm happy to have gotten the vaccine myself. Not sure if she was the catalyst or not. After the US embassy  and US state department rejected requests for help from us citizen in Thailand, this offer come through that help all foreigners here. 

So far all I've seen from her is talk.

Wow, gracious...

My consulate wasn't prepared to do anything even though I offered to help them organise it at no cost.

So I'm the more grateful for the Pfizer shots I received, as nobody is obliged to donate anything!

• Like 1

I nelieve Tammy Duckworth is vice chair of the DNC. As such she heavily involved in Democatic politics. As such she should understand how things work and should be able to deliver. If it were me, I'd see that things happened, whether or not I was at fault 

1 hour ago, Poolie said:

Your countryman, your choice. Don't recall any world changing events featuring her though.......

Is she related to Jack of that ilk, from Coronation Street?

As a US senator I expect result. I sympathize that she's a paraplegic and served her country honorably. But as a senator she needs to deliver. If I  didn't deliver in my job I'd be out and the company would find someone else. Saying the other party didn't turn in the paper work, would not cut it in industry in the US, but government employees are not held accountable. 

7 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

As a US senator I expect result. I sympathize that she's a paraplegic and served her country honorably. But as a senator she needs to deliver. If I  didn't deliver in my job I'd be out and the company would find someone else. Saying the other party didn't turn in the paper work, would not cut it in industry in the US, but government employees are not held accountable. 

Sorry, I'm not American. I expect nothing but trouble from across the pond. I'm seldom disappointed.

5 hours ago, Bob20 said:

In this instance, the usually assumptions that the Thais are at fault. 

The U.S. doesn't have a great track record for being sainted, benign or benevolent. 

3 minutes ago, Rain said:

In this instance, the usually assumptions that the Thais are at fault. 

The U.S. doesn't have a great track record for being sainted, benign or benevolent. 

I beg to differ.

But regardless, they have offered and have said it's ready for collection.

As it's for the benefit of the Thai people, Thailand could have graciously said "thank you very much, maybe we got our wires crossed, we're on our way", rather than "well, your fault, we didn't get your letter".

As for not being benevolent, the US has yesterday announced another 200m vaccine doses to be donated.

I wouldn't be surprised if Thailand isn't at the top of the list. It certainly wouldn't be on mine.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2021 at 9:09 AM, yetanother said:

"Apparently citing chain of command technicalities, Minister of Public Health Anutin Charnvirakul denied a report that Thailand didn’t respond to the US offering a donation of 1 million free Pfizer vaccines. He said no official formal notice of an offer to donate vaccines was received by his ministry."

and , anutin, being the competent professional that he is, just sat back and did what he does best: nothing;

o wait, he was constructing his excuses for doing nothing

The truth will surface sooner than this oxygen thief would like it to, just watch this space!!!