AIS fiber wifi (esport package 500/500mbps) review, 9.5/10

dj230

Some small complaints but long story short it was installed and I have faster internet than advertised and the price is reasonable

Needed internet installed because the condo has a bad signal, I'm guessing just due to the building as it's not an issue once you go outside the building. Emailed AIS, they spoke english, unfortunately the waitlist to get the fiber internet installed was a bit long, 1.5 weeks, they said it was because of covid and lack of workers, understandable.

They came at an earlier time during the scheduled date, better for me since I had internet installed earlier, installation took about 30 minutes.

Speed test after showed 600mbps+ download/upload and advertisement was for 500mbps. They have an option to toggle speeds to 1000mbps download/50mbps upload, I tried it but I don't think the infrastructure in the condo building supported speeds this fast since I was getting about the same download speeds, or the router they used doesn't support 1000mbps download speeds thus bottlenecking the connection. 

Really low latency as advertised, 5ms or less on speedtest.net 

Also came with 2 routers, was advertised as getting 2 separate networks with 2 IP addresses, one to use one for entertainment and another for gaming to split up traffic/bandwidth, but the person installing actually just daisy chained the routers together so it won't actually work, as one router is getting its internet from the other router. Essentially it was supposed to work as if you had 2 complete separate internet connections. 

I'll probably email AIS about this, maybe they can take a router back and give me a discount, or set it up properly, I think another fiber network cable would need to be installed for this to actually work. Not a big deal really, just saw it as a benefit but it wasn't needed.

990 baht a month, 800baht installation fee

Edited by dj230

1 hour ago, Transam said:

I have 3BB fibre, 1000Mbps, cost with tax is 631bht... 

In actual use, I get about 600 down and 300 up with my aging tweaked PC..😊

AIS had a package for 499 baht with 500up/down (im guessing its around 600 up/down as well), but I figured for a bit extra a dual network and lower latency was worth it since I work online. 

Did you check to see if your router or fiber connection was the bottle neck? You can try using an iphone to see if the connection is truely outputting 1000mbps as the iphone 12 can support those speeds. I checked mine on my phone so I can confirm that it's a bottleneck on either the router or the infrastructure. I might plug the internet into my laptop with a LAN cable to see if the bottle neck is the router or the condo building's fiber network

How do you like the reliability of 3BB? I havn't really had a chance to test out multiple networks but I remember seeing a screenshot from a youtube channel using 3BB that got close to 1000mbps on their wifi fiber internet connection. 

Edited by dj230

32 minutes ago, dj230 said:

I might plug the internet into my laptop with a LAN cable to see if the bottle neck is the router or the condo building's fiber network

The cable into the router (optic) is not a LAN plug. Don't believe what Speedtest says as that is usually within Thailand so you WILL get 1000Mb/s at most times of the day. There are other, more accurate speed tesating sites....forgot the name right now.

1 hour ago, WilliamG said:

The cable into the router (optic) is not a LAN plug. Don't believe what Speedtest says as that is usually within Thailand so you WILL get 1000Mb/s at most times of the day. There are other, more accurate speed tesating sites....forgot the name right now.

The optic is fed into a router where I can connect directly, it is just going to be a test to see if the router is the bottle neck 

What site do you use? 

15 minutes ago, dj230 said:

The optic is fed into a router where I can connect directly, it is just going to be a test to see if the router is the bottle neck 

What site do you use? 

I use 3BB with the router they supplied and get 1000/500 (Speedtst within Thailand) for which I pay Bht 749 a month.  You cannot connect to the Internet without going through the router.

mynet.org supposedly gives a better idea of your actual speed. Ookla Speedtest shows 100/500 whereas mytest gives 110/52 !

Hey, that is still better than my bro gets in UK from Virgin for paying twice as much.

Edited by WilliamG

41 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Remember 56k dial ups?

Good grief how did we ever manage?

Remember before the internet...or cell phones, faxes, pagers?

I feel like a living history, I remember black and white TV.

I have two internet providers, upstairs 3BB  (1GB, with 2 years of free TV) and True 500mb with free TV downstairs.  Fiber optic the both of them, and nary a problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rookiescot said:

Remember 56k dial ups?

Downloaded MS Office 97, over that. Took 5 days with a redialer. Not bad for 700MB.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Downloaded MS Office 97, over that. Took 5 days with a redialer. Not bad for 700MB.

And the first time you ran it you got the infamous blue screen of death? 

46 minutes ago, MrStretch said:

Remember before the internet...or cell phones, faxes, pagers?

I feel like a living history, I remember black and white TV.

I have two internet providers, upstairs 3BB  (1GB, with 2 years of free TV) and True 500mb with free TV downstairs.  Fiber optic the both of them, and nary a problem.

Seems like a lifetime ago.

Oh wait hold on. Its was.

When the remote control was me being told by my mum or dad to turn it over.

11 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Remember 56k dial ups?

It was a give from god after 300/1200/4800 Baud. (But no internet, no cookie traffic, no ad traffic, no tracking. Simpler times.)