Tobacco Duty

Ellenrocr

I read in the Bangkok Post, the insane amount of money spend on repairing bodies due to the effects of tobacco consumption. This is text taken directly from the BP.

(A survey in 2017 showed 72,656 people died from illnesses caused by smoking. Meanwhile, the Public Health Ministry spends 77 billion baht annually to treat smoking-induced disease and illness.) End of quote.

The authorities can spend 77Billion and no one says, 'Let's jack up the duty to insane heights'. Why not? The revenue 'lost' from reduced sales can be recouped from the manufacturers. A strong message and a sea change is what s required, if the health of the nation is to be taken care of.

The farmers who grow the tobacco, could stay at home and have a pension each week, which would not get anywhere near the 77Billion being used to treat pulmonary illnesses.

I only mention this dreadful number of deaths, to say it slips by hardly noticed, but utter Covid and WOW! the end of the world is coming.

It makes one think that of the current Covid coffin count, how many were tobacco users?

Dying and getting dead is permanent, I know, but surely the authorities could address this issue with some speed. As for the major manufacturers, they are diversifying from the tobacco they peddle into new ventures with the hope that people will not see them as the purveyors of health destroying mediums. Sport has pulled back from tobacco sponsorship for many years now, FI, Cricket, Football all appreciate being tarnished with tobacco, is a real no-no. 

Yes, I was a smoker, 25 years ago, so, I was as stupid as the rest.

But then we have the tobacco smugglers, catch them and treat them the same as drug smugglers, the penalty can be what is necessary to make life a real pain. 

Or is it easier to let the poor to continue to die? Yes, it is the mainly the poor that use tobacco to ease the burden of the day.

Smoking numbers in Australia has reduced immensely over the past decade or so.  A pack of cigarettes is about 1,000 baht which has assisted in the reduction plus the social stigma now attached to smokers, have seen instances where they are publicly ostracized.  Banned in restaurants and heavily restricted even outdoors and in public places. You cannot smoke in a car  with children without getting arrested.

Illegal tobacco has been a problem but think the authorities have it in hand and overall these measures work and you can walk the streets without OPs smoke smelling up your day.

1 hour ago, Ellenrocr said:

It makes one think that of the current Covid coffin count, how many were tobacco users?

According to an acquaintance I know, his friend of a sisters, uncles, cousin-in-law firmly believes that the copious amounts of tar in his lungs protects him from the covid virus!  Yes, he is a 20 a day guy and reeks of tobacco smoke which he adamantly denies all knowledge of. 

Haven't heard from him for several weeks, maybe I should send him a packet of Marlboro to give to his friend of a sisters, uncles, cousin-in-law! 

Are smokers protected against SARS-CoV-2 infection (COVID-19)? The origins of the myth | npj Primary Care Respiratory Medicine (nature.com)

Edited by ThaiWolf123
Forgot the link! :)