Jump to content

News Forum - Best VPN services to use in Thailand


Thaiger
 Share

Recommended Posts

Due to a series of laws that censor websites and increase surveillance powers for local authorities, internet freedom has changed dramatically in Thailand. Over 100,000 websites are blocked in the country, and Internet Service Providers can collect more data on users. In other words, everything you do online in Thailand is being watched by the government. That’s why using a VPN, or virtual private network is a quick way to improve your online privacy and security in Thailand. A VPN can encrypt your data and change your IP address so you can maintain your privacy and anonymity on the internet. […]

The post Best VPN services to use in Thailand appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

Hopefully, our list can help you narrow down the best VPN services in Thailand and find the right one for you!

Free sites, which I'm told are readily available, would probably be of more "help".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I use the free site Hoxx.

You have daily time limits on the free version, but I've managed to watch an entire NFL football game at one sitting.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Free sites, which I'm told are readily available, would probably be of more "help".

Free sites are free for a reason, poorly maintained bare bones systems that may work or only work sometimes. You get what you pay for. Pay nothing get nothing.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, palooka said:

Free sites are free for a reason, poorly maintained bare bones systems that may work or only work sometimes. You get what you pay for. Pay nothing get nothing.

Some work very well, actually - so I'm told 😇.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Some work very well, actually - so I'm told 😇.

I'm sure that some do work, but try to look at it from the point of view that someone has spent a lot of money setting up that VPN, Servers,spoolers, internet connections etc etc. You don't really think that a billionaire decided to organise this for the love of mankind. Like everything in this world there is a reason for doing things and first in line is money, second is power. So is it using adverting to gain income, probably not that is one of the reasons why you get a VPN. So all that is left is access to the data of where you go on that VPN and they sell that data or if you are using a free VPN from Thailand then the Police or military are probably controlling it. Power. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, palooka said:

I'm sure that some do work, but try to look at it from the point of view that someone has spent a lot of money setting up that VPN, Servers,spoolers, internet connections etc etc. You don't really think that a billionaire decided to organise this for the love of mankind. Like everything in this world there is a reason for doing things and first in line is money, second is power. So is it using adverting to gain income, probably not that is one of the reasons why you get a VPN. So all that is left is access to the data of where you go on that VPN and they sell that data or if you are using a free VPN from Thailand then the Police or military are probably controlling it. Power. 

Well, yes ... but I don't recall paying for YouTube,  Google, Firefox, Facebook, TikTok, et al,  and they seem to work reasonably well and make enough "money" for their owners to struggle by on 😇.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good info provided.  But a big related question is - Will the Junta making using a VPN illegal? Like their mates in China recently did to block their citizens accessing sites like Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube, and Porn - which I am told the internet is full of 😇

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Well, yes ... but I don't recall paying for YouTube,  Google, Firefox, Facebook, TikTok, et al,  and they seem to work reasonably well and make enough "money" for their owners to struggle by on 😇.

You covered the money angle -- what about the power angle and who controls that VPN?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, palooka said:

You covered the money angle -- what about the power angle and who controls that VPN?

I don't think the owners of YouTube, Google, Facebook, etc, have any less power or any less control over their services just because they're not charging users for them 😂!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Stonker said:

Well, yes ... but I don't recall paying for YouTube,  Google, Firefox, Facebook, TikTok, et al,  and they seem to work reasonably well and make enough "money" for their owners to struggle by on 😇.

Yeah, but you do know you allow them to sell your data to make that money. Plus cross-tracking cookies, plus adverts, plus, plus, plus. Read the privacy policy. Firefox is an outlier - like Wikipedia - and is a pretty benevolent outfit.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JamesE said:

Yeah, but you do know you allow them to sell your data to make that money. Plus cross-tracking cookies, plus adverts, plus, plus, plus. Read the privacy policy. Firefox is an outlier - like Wikipedia - and is a pretty benevolent outfit.

Yes, but 'so what' ???

I'm not talking about morality, adverts, or "plus, plus, plus" get out the tin foil.

My point was simply that the idea that "Free sites are free for a reason, poorly maintained bare bones systems that may work or only work sometimes. You get what you pay for. Pay nothing get nothing" is simply balls, to put it bluntly, where the internet is concerned.

Site owners don't need you to pay to be either profitable or to provide an efficient service, whether it's a VPN or an alarm clock, and those were obvious examples, nothing more.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Stonker said:

Yes, but 'so what' ???

I'm not talking about morality, adverts, or "plus, plus, plus" get out the tin foil.

My point was simply that the idea that "Free sites are free for a reason, poorly maintained bare bones systems that may work or only work sometimes. You get what you pay for. Pay nothing get nothing" is simply balls, to put it bluntly, where the internet is concerned.

Site owners don't need you to pay to be either profitable or to provide an efficient service, whether it's a VPN or an alarm clock, and those were obvious examples, nothing more.

I wasn't commenting on your "Free sites are free for a reason..." comment, I was commenting on your "Google, Facebook...[et al.]" comment. They are two different beasts and you, of all people, know it.

And "tin foil"??? Dude, I've got the antenna. 😂

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Free VPNs are free for a reason. You are either going to receive advertising or allow your history to be seen by the VPN provider, or something. Read the privacy policy. Now, there are free VPNs that do work out of the goodness of their collective hearts but they have one glaring downside: control of the servers is at the local level and not at the top. Most paid VPNs rent (or own) the servers and manage them for software and security from a central location. There's much less of a chance for a bad actor to either become a server manager or to corrupt the server software.

The other point if that paid VPNs are essentially free anyway. I use two - Vypr and Surfshark - and have tried several others. Those two cost me about US$5/month combined. Others, like Nord, cost more but still it's in the cup-of-coffee-a-month range. The paid services also have customer service. If I run into a server issue or a protocol problem I get support in minutes. The last thing the paid services provide is dynamic IP at the server level. Many businesses - streaming services, banks, e,g, - are blocking known VPN addresses. The better services realize this and they dynamically configure their servers to evade detection. This is why I use two services, sometimes even the evasion doesn't work but switching to another service does.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Good info provided.  But a big related question is - Will the Junta making using a VPN illegal? Like their mates in China recently did to block their citizens accessing sites like Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube, and Porn - which I am told the internet is full of 😇

It is very hard to enforce. (As China has found out.) There are new protocols that are encrypted to look like normal internet traffic and not encrypted internet traffic. The response in China was to limit what software was available for people's phones which is how most people access the web these days. It's still possible to get VPN software but unless you already have VPN software to bypass the restrictions, it's tough.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Stonker said:

I don't think the owners of YouTube, Google, Facebook, etc, have any less power or any less control over their services just because they're not charging users for them 😂!

Do you know what a VPN is even? I think not. 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, JamesE said:

It is very hard to enforce. (As China has found out.) There are new protocols that are encrypted to look like normal internet traffic and not encrypted internet traffic. The response in China was to limit what software was available for people's phones which is how most people access the web these days. It's still possible to get VPN software but unless you already have VPN software to bypass the restrictions, it's tough.

True.  One way they also enforce it is to force the ISPs and Mobile Carriers to monitor large amount of traffic going to and from 'designated' IP addresses - those of VPN providers - and then report who is sending traffic there to the Chinese Govt 'cyber crime division'.  From there it is investigated by them further if/when they decide it is warranted.  Thailand is unlikely to have that sort of power/control, unless the Junta stays in power, but in the meantime they can monitor IP addresses so it is best to be careful if/when doing things deemed to be illegal in Thailand (even though legal in the West). 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, gummy said:

I use proton because of its security

Where you at Gummy? Is the performance satisfactory? 
 

Proton is Swiss based and they seem to take their users’ security very seriously.
 

I’ve been looking at their mail system as well as their VPN but Inertia has set in. I need to lose the gee man. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Hamosity said:

Where you at Gummy? Is the performance satisfactory? 
 

Proton is Swiss based and they seem to take their users’ security very seriously.
 

I’ve been looking at their mail system as well as their VPN but Inertia has set in. I need to lose the gee man. 

I am in Thailand and have no complaints. Of course I don't have it connected 100% of the time, just when it is prudent to do so. No complaints and reasonable download speeds. I just checked and getting 141 mbps down and 124 up with the ping at 182 ms. I don't use their email system, guess too lazy to move away from Outlook but then I never have any sensitive info to send to friends, well no friends to send to I guess 😂

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, gummy said:

I am in Thailand and have no complaints. Of course I don't have it connected 100% of the time, just when it is prudent to do so. No complaints and reasonable download speeds. I just checked and getting 141 mbps down and 124 up with the ping at 182 ms. I don't use their email system, guess too lazy to move away from Outlook but then I never have any sensitive info to send to friends, well no friends to send to I guess 😂

Cheers mate. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, JamesE said:

I wasn't commenting on your "Free sites are free for a reason..." comment, I was commenting on your "Google, Facebook...[et al.]" comment. They are two different beasts and you, of all people, know it.

And "tin foil"??? Dude, I've got the antenna. 😂

I didn't say "free sites are free for a reason" - I quoted it, and was disagreeing with the reason!

Of course they're "different beasts", but they're both in the 'net and both free for the same reason - ads.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By posting on Thaiger Talk you agree to the Terms of Use