Which trees in Thailand are protected?

thaifarmer

So I have this pradu tree in my yard, which my wife says is protected. Searches on the internet gives only thai language sites (like the thai forest dep.). The info I was able to find about the pradu (Pterocarpus macrocarpus) is that it is almost invasive  (long roots brake up a lot, overshadows other plants etc.)

Does anyone has info on this, or maybe a list of protected trees? I know the teak, makha and rosewoods are, but that is more from "common knowledge".

• Like 1

In a forest environment, it's probably classified as protected [officially] 

As Pradu belongs to the type of valued tropical hardwoods that are quite desired as marketable building woods. 

There must be a source by which one can search. If you're looking for lawful list of protected species, look by officialdom sources.

Ummm.....try the Ministry of Forestry or Agriculture sites. Or related departments.

22 hours ago, Rain said:

In a forest environment, it's probably classified as protected [officially] 

As Pradu belongs to the type of valued tropical hardwoods that are quite desired as marketable building woods. 

There must be a source by which one can search. If you're looking for lawful list of protected species, look by officialdom sources.

Ummm.....try the Ministry of Forestry or Agriculture sites. Or related departments.

Thanks for the reply. As mentioned before, the sites I could find were thai language only. 

As I have one Pradu in my garden and it grows very fast I want to know my options. Can I cut it? and/or can I grow pradu as a cash-crop? 

Without any more info, my next move is to go and talk with the forest department. We are on a p.t.b.5 land (farmland) so it might be difficult to get registration for trees. We'll see.

• Like 1

Go ahead cut it. It's on your property and no one will be the wiser - 

They're not taking issue with the odd wild "protected" variety on one's property.

No harm. 

If it's big enough, and you play your cards right, you find a buyer. 

As Pradu, in particular, makes for fine furniture and other uses. 

Be careful. Apparently you need a license to cut down trees in Thailand. Especially out of the ordinary ones.

If someone has an issue with you they might report it. Oddly its one of the things Thai officialdom takes seriously.

Ask the village headman. If he says OK then hack away. If he says no then think of something else. He might want a cough, piece of the action, if it has a resale value.

Unbelievably even if its on your land you cant just cut stuff down. 

Thx guys for the response. We live here quite remote, so if I cut it, I do not think anybody will notice.

But what spiked my interest, is the speedy growth of this pradu, indicated that my soil is very suitable for their growth. 

I will update this thread when I have my answer(s) to let others know what is possible in this regard.

Cut it, no problem. 

We have hundreds in our mooban, ~ 30 y/o specimens, and both mooban staff and PEA can't keep ahead of the lopping and felling.

The flowers are lovely but the seeds block gutters and drains.  Old limbs frequently take out power lines during storms.

• Like 2