News Forum - Police suddenly began raiding Patong bars selling alcohol

Thaiger

5 hours ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Home Alone

Been in Phuket for just 3 days and finding lots of places that serve beer in coffee mugs.
The statement from police that they don't know about the situation is either inkompetens or just plain laying.

If they do there job properly they would know what's going on in their own district but if u look the other way and head office finds out it's a good excuse to claim "we didn't know"🤔😇

18 hours ago, JamesR said:

That is not at all true, the vast majority of tourists to Phuket are families or couples and most of those are from China or other parts of Asia.

Hardly any Chinese tourists go into bars as they seem to be more interested in eating at restaurants and going on tours. 

Probably not recently ...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JamesE said:

No, a lot of people want to enjoy bars when on holiday. The drinks are only there so you can tolerate all the other people in the bars. 🤐

Drinking is not banned, just serving in a public place where more-than-the-specified-safe crowds of people might gather. The private parties that are getting busted  are because of the number of people present, not expressly the existence of alcohol. So you can "enjoy drinks" as much as you'd like, just not in public.

I'm not sure what the latest rules are, but unless they've changed I'm pretty sure that's not correct if it's not your house and you're not part of the household.

1 hour ago, leiftheswede said:

Been in Phuket for just 3 days and finding lots of places that serve beer in coffee mugs.
The statement from police that they don't know about the situation is either inkompetens or just plain laying.

If they do there job properly they would know what's going on in their own district but if u look the other way and head office finds out it's a good excuse to claim "we didn't know"🤔😇

Just curious, if you don't mind my asking ...

Why did you go to all the trouble of going to Phuket at the moment, particularly in order to spend time "finding lots of places that serve beer in coffee mugs" in your first 3 days there?

Nothing personal, please, I'm just wondering.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Soidog said:

Why go to Phuket if you are a non drinker then? Far better places in the world to visit than party central like Phuket if you don’t drink

The party area is a very small part of the whole island.

Puket has dozens of beaches, from the busy to the very quiet, temples, countryside, massive shopping centres, world foods in thousands of restaurants and all sorts of trips you can go on.

If everyone who went to Phuket only wanted to booze and party then Soi Bangla the main bar street would have to be fifty times bigger.

There were many bars on quite a number of side streets running off Soi Bangla over fifteen years ago but they have all been replaced by shops and restaurants as there is more demand for such things.

The very large bar areas along the beach have all gone, replaced by restaurants and hotels.

The vast majority of tourist are not beer and bar tourists in Phuket. 

Even in good times (pre covid) most of the bars were not full and the likelihood is they will also be replaced soon. 

Edited by JamesR
typo

15 hours ago, Lowseasonlover said:

I just prefer to drink, Eating is cheating

I take it you are one of those who realises how dangerous it is to eat on an empty stomach

• Haha 1

What I find most incredible about this story, and so many others about the RTP, is the total lack of awareness by their press officer, as to how often the Keystone Cops make this bunch look like incompetent fools when they make a press release.

To tell the media that the cops raided several bars, made arrests etc, is one thing. But to admit that "We only became aware when we read about it in the local paper" makes you wonder if their elite cops arrive at a "crime-scene" in clown cars.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

What I find most incredible about this story, and so many others about the RTP, is the total lack of awareness by their press officer, as to how often the Keystone Cops make this bunch look like incompetent fools when they make a press release.

To tell the media that the cops raided several bars, made arrests etc, is one thing. But to admit that "We only became aware when we read about it in the local paper" makes you wonder if their elite cops arrive at a "crime-scene" in clown cars.

Of course they knew, but kept one (or both) eyes closed.

What is true though, is that since the tourists are absent, the police are absent from the streets as well, so I can actually imagine them sitting at the police station reading the paper or mobile 🤭

Except for early evening, when they drive with two on one motorbike to private companies and take a selfie outside the gate. I wondered why, but am told it may be as proof of private surveillance. Of course f.o.c. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Of course they knew, but kept one (or both) eyes closed.

What is true though, is that since the tourists are absent, the police are absent from the streets as well, so I can actually imagine them sitting at the police station reading the paper or mobile 🤭

Except for early evening, when they drive with two on one motorbike to private companies and take a selfie outside the gate. I wondered why, but am told it may be as proof of private surveillance. Of course f.o.c. 

I was aware that they must have known what was going on.

But my post was about the incredible incompetence by their press officers in not seeing how dumb the release made them look. You pay press officers to make you look smart. From most of the stories I've read recently, it looks like the press officers have a grudge and this is payback. In the not too distant future, one will surely describe his employers as, "The best police money can buy".

Just now, JohninDubin said:

I was aware that they must have known what was going on.

But my post was about the incredible incompetence by their press officers in not seeing how dumb the release made them look. You pay press officers to make you look smart. From most of the stories I've read recently, it looks like the press officers have a grudge and this is payback. In the not too distant future, one will surely describe his employers as, "The best police money can buy".

Maybe payback, or it's not a profession taught in Thailand? 🤔

Whichever it is, the government appear to employ the same press office agency 🤣

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

Video proves it!

200.gif

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Maybe payback, or it's not a profession taught in Thailand? 🤔

Whichever it is, the government appear to employ the same press office agency 🤣

Or maybe TH stupidity just doesn't translate in the media?

2 hours ago, JamesR said:

Puket has dozens of beaches, from the busy to the very quiet, temples, countryside, massive shopping centres, world foods in thousands of restaurants and all sorts of trips you can go on.

If everyone who went to Phuket only wanted to booze and party then Soi Bangla the main bar street would have to be fifty times bigger.

There were many bars on quite a number of side streets running off Soi Bangla over fifteen years ago but they have all been replaced by shops and restaurants as there is more demand for such things.

The very large bar areas along the beach have all gone, replaced by restaurants and hotels.

Even in good times (pre covid) most of the bars were not full and the likelihood is they will also be replaced soon. 

Fair enough, and it was a pretty uninformed comment you were replying to as in "normal" times there are other attractions and in "normal" times the 'sex, sun, sand, Singha and sex' crowd are more likely to head to Pattaya, but I genuinely can't understand  why @leiftheswede or anyone else would go to  Phuket at the moment when someone in the UK, say, can fly with EasyJet to Fuerteventura for £15.08 or to Malaga for £22.99, all without the hassle and with no quarantine either on arrival, on return, or if they catch Covid. 

If the Patong bars aren't a reason to go,  then are the shopping centres, temples, world food and beer served in coffee mugs really that much of a draw whether you're single or for some reason inflicting all the risks, mask wearing and unavoidable  restrictions on your family?

On 9/23/2021 at 9:40 AM, Bluesofa said:

It's a well-known fact that manilla envelopes cause sight impairment. As long as they're large enough, they prevent the police seeing past their noses.

Manilla in the Philippines, where the envelopes come from.

Nope. The name is derived from Manila Hemp, which comes from a banana like plant originating in the Philippines. Doesn't mean that Manila envelopes or folders will be manufactured from this today 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Stonker said:

Fair enough, and it was a pretty uninformed comment you were replying to as in "normal" times there are other attractions and in "normal" times the 'sex, sun, sand, Singha and sex' crowd are more likely to head to Pattaya, but I genuinely can't understand  why @leiftheswede or anyone else would go to  Phuket at the moment when someone in the UK, say, can fly with EasyJet to Fuerteventura for £15.08 or to Malaga for £22.99, all without the hassle and with no quarantine either on arrival, on return, or if they catch Covid. 

If the Patong bars aren't a reason to go,  then are the shopping centres, temples, world food and beer served in coffee mugs really that much of a draw whether you're single or for some reason inflicting all the risks, mask wearing and unavoidable  restrictions on your family?

You seem to be agreeing with me except you have rearranged what I have said. 

I said that the bar areas have significantly reduce as most tourists are not there for that reason.

My comment on  normal times was reinforcing the idea that in normal times (pre bovid) when the island was full of tourists the bars were still in decline as most tourist were interested in other things hence there was not much demand for them  

Yes we can go to the places you mentioned for much less but they’re  are full of chav Brit beer hooligans and we want to avoid those people  

if you see any typos or grammatical errors please ignore as I am using my iPhone and my eye sight is not what it used to be 😆

7 minutes ago, JamesR said:

I said that the bar areas have significantly reduce as most tourists are not there for that reason.

My comment on  normal times was reinforcing the idea that in normal times (pre bovid) when the island was full of tourists the bars were still in decline as most tourist were interested in other things hence there was not much demand for them  

Yes we can go to the places you mentioned for much less but they’re  are full of chav Brit beer hooligans and we want to avoid those people  

if you see any typos or grammatical errors please ignore as I am using my iPhone and my eye sight is not what it used to be 😆

Well, yes and no.

I agree that there's more than just sex, sun, sand, Singha and sex, particularly in normal times, but what I'm curious about and can't understand is why anyone would want to go to Phuket NOW given the balance of what's on offer and what they have to go through and are risking.

Just how attractive are Phuket's coffee mugs that tourists would go through all the hoops, quarantine on return as well as arrival, restrictions, mask wearing, etc, to drink beer out of them?

Or the temples, shopping malls and restaurants?

27 minutes ago, JamesR said:

I agree with you, most of them bars in the soi's off soi bangla were quiet you could throw a bomb down there and not hit anyone,

The area I live in, in the south of the island I have been saying them pussy bars are finished and that was before the virus arrived, 

The only bars that were busy is were they live bands on

6 hours ago, JamesR said:

Thanks @JamesR, I’m familiar with Phuket having visited many many times. I also recall plenty of bars in Kata, Karon, Rawai, Surin and Kamala, not to mention many other bars and restaurants dotted all along its coast. I’ve no doubt many people are happy to go on boat rides to outlying islands, visit temples and go shopping. But many of these people will also enjoy unwinding by having a meal with a few glasses of wine or a few beers by the beach. I wasn’t just referring to the hedonistic mad house that is Patong. 

53 minutes ago, JamesR said:

“Chav Brit beer hooligans”. Come come now! I resemble that remark 😂😂.

If you want to avoid those kind of places there are plenty to chose from on the French Riviera. You can fly to Nice for £27. What about Sicily for £42? Or Dubrovnik for £52?  All available without COE, 10-13 hours flights, multiple Covid PCR tests, expensive additional Covid insurance and not a Brit beer hooligan in sight. I think the point is, that the only people wanting to go to Phuket at this time are either people with a reason other than tourism to go to Thailand, or a few adventurous people who’s next stop is likely Pyongyang in North Korea or Kabul in Afghanistan. 

On 9/24/2021 at 8:46 PM, Bluesofa said:

The blind leading the leading the blind. Those manilla envelopes really do affect your vision, causing a blind-spot.

Please, only one 'l', in Manila!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, JamesR said:

That followed the change from western male to asian family tourist, methinks