Right to Life . . . a top-to-bottom consideration

King Cotton

5 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I'm absolutely petrified of snakes, even your story freaks me out

And that's a major concern of mine when/if we ever move to Thailand 

I'm also worried about any dogs I will have and snakes if we let them out in the yard

Doggone!

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, MrStretch said:

I do understand your phobia and am not making light of it, but once you are able to identify the snakes near where you live, your fear might be better controlled if you know they aren't likely hazardous to you, or your cat.

I was much like you, terrified of almost all slithering things.  When I was a child, I accidentally stepped in a swirling ball of garter snakes and it imprinted a strong fear of the reptiles.

Later, as a youth, my family moved to an area that had four types of commonly found poisonous snakes.  We all learned to identify them, even from a distance and avoided any truly dangerous encounters.

I've learned about the snakes I'm most likely to meet where I live now, and pythons, when seen don't make me run and hide...just the cobras.

Like I said, I'm not making light, but knowing what's out there makes it easier to avoid a heart attack when you do see one.  I still don't like them, but I don't freak out when I see one, now.

i appreciate what you say, the phobia still prevents me even looking at them to see whether they're dangerous or not. I don't even like looking at photos of them either.
As I said, it was pure instinct regarding a snake in the bedroom. If it had gone underneath the bed (about three inches off the floor) what would happen then? That was all I could think about.

The thought of two days ago still makes me shudder as I'm writing this.

• Cool 1

Interesting topic, @King Cotton, thanks for starting it. I, like I think many other people, have spent a reasonably large amount of time pondering the issue(s) and likely will continue to do so far into the future. For the record, I am generally a 'Pro-Life' person, but also someone who has learned that 'Absolutes' are rarely a good thing; nuance exists for a reason.

A seriously committed Buddhist Monk might (repeat 'might') be able to have and implement a pure 'Right to Life' policy in both theory and practice, but I cannot. So, where/how does one draw a line? I have found my metric in the phrase "Your right to swing your fist ends when it hits my nose".

Like many other posters, I simply do not like to kill, period. I live in a small house and, when not using aircon, it is open on three sides including large double doors at the front, so I essentially live outside. Yes, I have an assortment of flying stuff buzzing about my place at any given moment, but as long as it doesn't try to build a nest of some sort (i.e.., reach my proverbial nose), I just let them 'buzz'. I occasionally get ants, but that is usually a matter of laziness on my part; when I get up off my ass and put food away/do the dishes, the ants go away as there is nothing to eat. I have geckos in my house, and am quite happy to have them for two reasons. First, I would rather have them than the things they eat, so 'chomp away' is my policy. Secondly, I spent some of my early, formative years in Indonesia's wild Eastern provinces where people believe that if geckos won't live with you, your house is cursed. I am not saying that I believe it, but prefer to have geckos... er... ahem... just in case. The rule of the thumb is that as long as anything is transient, it is welcome to a pitstop.

Will I swat mossies that are trying to bite me and suck my blood. Oh hell yeah. Will I stomp on cockroaches that crawl on me? Oh hell yeah. Will I 'Bug Bomb' any flying thing that tries to build a nest in my house (i.e.., on my proverbial nose)? Oh hell yeah. If a snake wanders into my house, will I remove it by any means necessary? Oh hell yeah.

I suspect that I am "normal" (whatever the hell that means) among, expats here, and reading the comments above just reinforces that.

One final point; this is the "Culture & Religion" section, yet no one mentioned abortion. I suspect it is a matter of time before that aspect of 'Right to Life' gets mentioned, and then the sparks will fly. I am a very strong 'Right to Life' person, yet also a very strong believer that old men cannot and should not tell women what to do with their own bodies.

Have a great day, everyone.

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

49 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Right, so just what is the collective noun for 'ferang'?  A gaggle, an ATM, a gullible?

A "hansum". "Hansum man" meaning one member of the hansum.

• Haha 1

Just now, JamesE said:
51 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Right, so just what is the collective noun for 'ferang'?  A gaggle, an ATM, a gullible?

A "hansum". "Hansum man" meaning one member of the hansum.

I thought that was an early Victorian cab?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BigHewer said:

I’ve luckily never been faced with this particular moral dilemma. Where I live we have to contribute a nominal fee annually to the residents’ association for the upkeep of a colony of stray cats which patrol the area. It must work well because I’ve never seen a rodent in the neighborhood. When I visit friends in other areas, I see them.

My new house of several years now I have seen zero rats. Old home was out of control. 
Even cats could not keep up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

i appreciate what you say, the phobia still prevents me even looking at them to see whether they're dangerous or not. I don't even like looking at photos of them either.
As I said, it was pure instinct regarding a snake in the bedroom. If it had gone underneath the bed (about three inches off the floor) what would happen then? That was all I could think about.

Only thing my Thai wife is scared of is any type of snake. She then calls me. For me no big deal as I lived in rattlesnake country in the USA and came across a lot of them. Liked s a cobra here one time and said just gonna let the 12 foot python go back into the water. The next python the neighbors called someone to take it away for them. 

Ever try to kill a very large centipede here? Ruthless things. 

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

23 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

Will I swat mossies that are trying to bite me and suck my blood. Oh hell yeah. Will I stomp on cockroaches that crawl on me? Oh hell yeah. Will I 'Bug Bomb' any flying thing that tries to build a nest in my house (i.e.., on my proverbial nose)? Oh hell yeah. If a snake wanders into my house, will I remove it by any means necessary? Oh hell yeah.

A superb right to life approach there, @Shade_Wilder and a great read, too . . . Oh hell yeah!!

Thanks for that!

KC

1 minute ago, HolyCowCm said:

{snipped}
Ever try to kill a very large centipede here? Ruthless things. 

More mozzie spray I'm afraid. My wife said they bite and it's very painful.

• Cool 1

38 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

And just for your peace of mind, @Bluesofa, here is the lowdown on the most commonly seen snake in most Thai regions, the Kukra or Oligodon snake . . . quite harmless unless cornered when they've been known to bite and their hind teeth can cause bleeding and/or bruising.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oligodon

Now, don't you feel more relaxed, having seen the nice side of these 'shuddery' things?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Marble-eye said:

Once caught a massive one on my rat glue mat.

IMG_20210501_164655~2.jpg

Are they edible? Pretty well anything that can be eaten, around here, is eaten . . . a prospect that scares me more than being bitten!

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

And just for your peace of mind, @Bluesofa, here is the lowdown on the most commonly seen snake in most Thai regions, the Kukra or Oligodon snake . . . quite harmless unless cornered when they've been known to bite and their hind teeth can cause bleeding and/or bruising.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oligodon

Now, don't you feel more relaxed, having seen the nice side of these 'shuddery' things?

Err, no. I didn't even click on the link. Thanks all the same.

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

More mozzie spray I'm afraid. My wife said they bite and it's very painful.

Those things once large adults do not die very easy at all and are very aggressive. You can whack them slice them jump up and down on them and they still go. I once did that during the water festival and the little sob kept going. I finally put a skewer through into the dirt so it couldn’t go anywhere and would just die. This thing was at least a good 7-8+ inches (18-21cm) long. 
Funny as the Thai Yai saw it and ran away. 

EB039809-AE8C-4128-8E26-2354BD69B39B.jpeg

• Like 1

Just now, HolyCowCm said:

Those things once large adults do not die very easy at all and are very aggressive. You can whack them slice them jump up and down on them and they still go. I once did that during the water festival and the little sob kept going. I finally put a skewer through into the dirt so it couldn’t go anywhere and would just die. This thing was at least a good 7-8+ inches (18-21cm) long. 

EB039809-AE8C-4128-8E26-2354BD69B39B.jpeg

Is an example picture and not the one I tangled with 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Crikey - 7-8 inches long! The ones I've seen are no more than 3 inches.

• Like 1

Out of fear a lot of wildlife is killed. Once you know more about it, you are able to deal with it better. 

this king cobra I caught in the chicken cage. let m go 20km further near a lake. 

IMG-20200818-WA0002.jpg

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

7 minutes ago, thaifarmer said:

Out of fear a lot of wildlife is killed. Once you know more about it, you are able to deal with it better. 

this king cobra I caught in the chicken cage. let m go 20km further near a lake.

I avoided looking at the photo.
The point is it's a phobia - an irrational fear of something. That in itself prevents you approaching the subject even figuratively.

As an aside, I know a lot of people can't watch a hospital operation on TV.
I can sit and watch it while I'm eating a full meal. I don't faint at the sight of blood. Everyone's different.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Bluesofa said:

I avoided looking at the photo.
The point is it's a phobia - an irrational fear of something. That in itself prevents you approaching the subject even figuratively.

As an aside, I know a lot of people can't watch a hospital operation on TV.
I can sit and watch it while I'm eating a full meal. I don't faint at the sight of blood. Everyone's different.

Isn't irrational fear a lack of knowledge on the "subject"?

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

38 minutes ago, thaifarmer said:

IMG-20200818-WA0002.jpg

Godzooks . . . that must be all of 6-ft long. You're a braver man than I, @thaifarmer!