By Christmas, Australia intends to open its international border

Andrew Reeve

395264225_Thaigernews.JPG.1826fec0ecb523c015a3b4a66a18c6ab.JPG

Australia plans to open its international border by Christmas at the latest, removing one of the world's tightest bans on international travel since the start of the Covid-19 outbreak.

Tourism Minister Dan Tehan stated at a National Press Club of Australia event today that once the vaccination rate in each particular home state reaches 80%, Australians will be able to travel anywhere in the world with no restrictions on the destination.

Since March of last year, Australia's borders have been mainly closed to non-citizens and non-residents.

Mr Tehan added that under the national plan controlling the country's exit from Covid-19, "people will be able to freely travel outside Australia with no restrictions." Australians would continue to be bound by the laws of the countries that they visit.

Mr Tehan stated that the government is looking on opening travel bubbles with various countries to shorten quarantine times, and that home quarantine will be operational by Christmas.

Source: Bloomberg

1 hour ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

But will they be allowed to return back to Australia, without quarantine, etc?

It does mention Home Quarantines which I think South Australia is trialling at the moment. 

Did find this article as well which suggests a reduced quarantine time.

"It will also allow Australians who have received one of the vaccines approved in Australia — currently the AstraZeneca (or Vaxzevria), Pfizer, Moderna and Johnson and Johnson vaccines — to quarantine at home for a shorter period of time."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-22/international-covid-border-closure-christmas-home-quarantine/100483178

• Like 1

It must be terrible for Australians right now considering the imposition of severe controls that appears to be ongoing in Australia so let's hope the Australian government does mean what it say and open up by the end of the year.  I can't help thinking though that their disastrous approach to the pandemic is such that they will open up purely to try and win voters at the next federal elections in 2022. In other words, as per normal for most "democratic" countries, getting re-elected is far more important than the health of their population, but of course I may well be wrong and others could have differing opinions.

37 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Is Santa fully vaccinated yet?

Must be, with all the Ho Ho Ho’s he goes through in the year. I bet he has had his two dose’s!

• Haha 1

Just now, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Must be, with all the Ho Ho Ho’s he goes through in the year. I bet he has had his two dose’s!

And his booster no doubt so it is a "Ho Ho ho"

3 hours ago, gummy said:

It must be terrible for Australians right now considering the imposition of severe controls that appears to be ongoing in Australia so let's hope the Australian government does mean what it say and open up by the end of the year.  I can't help thinking though that their disastrous approach to the pandemic is such that they will open up purely to try and win voters at the next federal elections in 2022. In other words, as per normal for most "democratic" countries, getting re-elected is far more important than the health of their population, but of course I may well be wrong and others could have differing opinions.

"But of course I may well be wrong" end quote.

You're not having 2/6 each way here are you?

Less than 2,000 dead from Covid speaks volumes for caring for the people. Very few countries can boast such low numbers (genuine numbers), plus they have spoken many times about opening at 80% vax and are close to achieving that figure. 

19 hours ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Good question.   And who will be allowed to enter Australia?

19 hours ago, Andrew Reeve said:

395264225_Thaigernews.JPG.1826fec0ecb523c015a3b4a66a18c6ab.JPG

Australia plans to open its international border by Christmas at the latest, removing one of the world's tightest bans on international travel since the start of the Covid-19 outbreak.

Tourism Minister Dan Tehan stated at a National Press Club of Australia event today that once the vaccination rate in each particular home state reaches 80%, Australians will be able to travel anywhere in the world with no restrictions on the destination.

Since March of last year, Australia's borders have been mainly closed to non-citizens and non-residents.

Mr Tehan added that under the national plan controlling the country's exit from Covid-19, "people will be able to freely travel outside Australia with no restrictions." Australians would continue to be bound by the laws of the countries that they visit.

Mr Tehan stated that the government is looking on opening travel bubbles with various countries to shorten quarantine times, and that home quarantine will be operational by Christmas.

Source: Bloomberg

Please dont quote a website that demands subscription or they block you reading the story.

Federal government hopes to reopen international border by Christmas 'at the latest' - ABC News

• Like 1

6 hours ago, palooka said:

"But of course I may well be wrong" end quote.

You're not having 2/6 each way here are you?

Less than 2,000 dead from Covid speaks volumes for caring for the people. Very few countries can boast such low numbers (genuine numbers), plus they have spoken many times about opening at 80% vax and are close to achieving that figure. 

Open at 80 percent? We didn't sign up for that. The risk must be zero

hytyb.jpg

Edited by Mamachigawa
  • Haha 1

On 9/23/2021 at 12:01 AM, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

The 64,000 dollar question.

I’m on the east side of the ditch at the mo’. Been here 18+ months longer than I thought I would. Wouldn’t call it “stuck” as Comrade Adern,s ‘go fast go hard’ seems more palatable than NSW’s “strategy “ parts of the state  have been in lockdown since June 26. (https://amp.abc.net.au/article/100328276)

I’m  not planning on getting back until sometime Q1 next year, and who they let in from which countries, under what conditions will play a big part in the decision making. 

9 hours ago, Mamachigawa said:

Open at 80 percent? We didn't sign up for that. The risk must be zero

hytyb.jpg

You get zero risk in anything and everything when you are dead

• Like 1

On 9/24/2021 at 6:02 AM, palooka said:

You get zero risk in anything and everything when you are dead

Apologise, I seem to have stopped this thread with my last post.

On 9/23/2021 at 1:07 PM, gummy said:

I currently live in the Noosa area of Queensland, since the Covid pandemic start in March 2020 we have only had three days of lockdown, whereas in some other parts of Australia it has been months. Personally I am grateful the Queensland government has had tough traveller restrictions in place. Some parts of Oz have had a great deal of grief with the Delta variant due to allowing international travellers into Oz with poorly enforced quarantine policies, people deliberately breaking quarantine rules and so on. Oz government is planning to open up for travel when approx 80% of population if fully vaccinated, currently at around 50%, still way to many anti vaxxers who seem to be mainly comprised of right wing conspiracy morons. Travel between Oz and Thailand is currently not permitted without specific permission to travel e.g. moving to Thailand to live full time. Just a guess, but anticipate Oz - Thailand travel to open up in second quarter 2022.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, palooka said:

Apologise, I seem to have stopped this thread with my last post.

Still mulling what you meant,

Most Australians will be vacationing to foreign countries before allowed to visit family in Perth

16 hours ago, Mamachigawa said:

Still mulling what you meant,

Most Australians will be vacationing to foreign countries before allowed to visit family in Perth

That is a "at State level of control". States want Fed guidance but then want to be able to pick and choose what they want. Fair enough, the people of that state voted them in to look after their interests, they can change that at any election.  If All states but WA open international flights in December that is their right also. Democracy.  (Don't like the pollies chances at the next election if other states are open and they are closed.)

Same with the vax and no vax, democratic right. That's the main reason you cannot have 100% vax.

On 9/25/2021 at 11:02 PM, palooka said:

That is a "at State level of control". States want Fed guidance but then want to be able to pick and choose what they want. Fair enough, the people of that state voted them in to look after their interests, they can change that at any election.  If All states but WA open international flights in December that is their right also. Democracy.  (Don't like the pollies chances at the next election if other states are open and they are closed.)

Same with the vax and no vax, democratic right. That's the main reason you cannot have 100% vax.

Are these premiers actually elected or are they appointed by state governors?

Sorry I don't know anything about Australian law same how a free country can require permission to travel abroad or travel internally. Sounds like a dictatorship or Soviet system. Been watching a lot of ABC one of the few English language channels on my condo cable system that isn't FOX.

7 minutes ago, Mamachigawa said:

Are these premiers actually elected or are they appointed by state governors?

Sorry I don't know anything about Australian law same how a free country can require permission to travel abroad or travel internally. Sounds like a dictatorship or Soviet system. Been watching a lot of ABC one of the few English language channels on my condo cable system that isn't FOX.

State level are elected in to power for a four year term, and the same applys to National voting for leading the country. Most times it works fine but Covid seems to have brought out the worst of many things in this world.

We elect these people to protect our interests and well being, they are human too so can overeact or under react due to media pressure and internal party politics, power struggles and just general bickering.

Haven't seen the perfect political system anywhere yet but this one isn't too bad.