Non OA extension of stay - questions

Redman

Hi all,
Can I apply for the extension of stay at my local immigration office (Jomtien) or must I depart and return to Thailand before the visa expires and apply at the airport?

What is the fee, if any, required to process an extension of stay?

Can I apply for a multi-entry reentry permit at the same time?

A 400k/40K in/out-patient health-insurance policy is mandatory but $100,000 USD Covid insurance is not required, correct?

What documents will I need to have in hand at time of application for the extension of stay?  I presume: copies of passport, visa and entry stamp; proof of health insurance as above; 90 day report receipt/confirmation.  Anything else?

Are there any other requirements that I have overlooked?

Thanks in advance for any feedback 🙏

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Redman said:

Hi all,
Can I apply for the extension of stay at my local immigration office (Jomtien) or must I depart and return to Thailand before the visa expires and apply at the airport?

What is the fee, if any, required to process an extension of stay?

Can I apply for a multi-entry reentry permit at the same time?

Hi Redman and welcome to the forum.

Yes you can apply for a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement up to 30/45 days in advance of your current permission stay expiring at your local Immigration office. The fee is 1,900 baht.
Unless you intend to leave the Country more than 3 times in the next 12 months, purchasing the single re-entry permit is more viable (Single re-entry 1,000 baht - Multi re-entry 3,800 baht).

16 minutes ago, Redman said:

A 400k/40K in/out-patient health-insurance policy is mandatory but $100,000 USD Covid insurance is not required, correct?

Yes. The Health Insurance must be from one of the approved listed companies through the tgia website. 
Home - Health Insurance for Long Stay Visa in Thailand (tgia.org)

20 minutes ago, Redman said:

Are there any other requirements that I have overlooked?

You also require 800,000 baht deposited in a Thai bank account in your sole name for 2 months prior to the date of application.

20 minutes ago, Redman said:

What documents will I need to have in hand at time of application for the extension of stay?  I presume: copies of passport, visa and entry stamp; proof of health insurance as above; 90 day report receipt/confirmation.  Anything else?

This is the list of documents I advise that may be requested. (400/40K Health Insurance not include in list).

Docs Extension of Stay based on Retirement.odt

• Like 2

Hi @Redman, FAZ was pretty complete in his response to your queries.

Two minor comments of possible relevance:

#1 - Unless you already foresee to leave Thailand in the 1-year period that your 1-year permission to stay will provide you, there is no need to already buy a Single-Entry Re-Entry Permit on receipt of that 1-year permission to stay stamp.  You can always buy it later when you change plans and want to leave Thailand, and this can be done either at any Immigration Office or in the departure hall of the major Thai international airports (just before your departure).

#2 - When applying for the 1-year permission to stay based on your original Non Imm O-A Visa, you need to provide evidence of meeting the financial requirements.  When using the Funds-in-Bank method, you need to provide evidence of +800.000 THB on a PERSONAL Thai bank-account (a joint one, e.g. with your wife/girlfriend is not allowed).  But you should be aware that when you apply first time for the 1-year permission to stay based on that original Non Imm O-A Visa, that you would need to provide evidence that

a) the +800.000 THB have been seasoned already at least 2 months on your account, at moment of application, and

b) that you would need to provide evidence of the FOREIGN ORIGINS of those funds  (unless you can prove that the +800.000 THB has already been long time on your Thai bank pass-book).

• 2 weeks later...

When I applied for my Extension of Stay earlier this month in Bangkok, I was handed a new form when I got my queue number at the counter. This new form is for a Thai national to "guarantee" your address in Thailand. In addition, the Thai national must attend with you when you make the application, so he/she can be interviewed by the Immigration officer and have their photo taken with you. I am not sure if any other Immigration offices have this requirement.