News Forum - 5 provinces may delay reopening until November, Chiang Mai cautious

Thaiger

Despite some local leaders pushing hard and claiming readiness to reopen on October 1, several or all of the 5 provinces scheduled to reopen may be delayed until November 1, with Chiang Mai especially cautious about reopening. The deputy director for communications and marketing at the Tourism Authority of Thailand pointed out that the reopening plan can only go ahead in provinces where 70% of the population has been vaccinated. The TAT recently held a meeting with the Public Health Ministry in a working group to assess the situation surrounding reopening before the proposal was formally submitted to the Centre for Covid-19 […]

The post 5 provinces may delay reopening until November, Chiang Mai cautious appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Just confirm the delay. The insecurity for businesses is worse. And we all know 70% are not going to be vaccinated in time. Even 1/11 will be too early, as 70% will not be jabbed by mid-October. Besides, we need 85%!

• Like 1

Who is surprised by this??  These government officials flip flop in decisions on an hourly basis.  If you say you are going to open, then stick to it.  Nobody is going to come here because requirements and restrictions change daily.  It is way past too late to change the direction the government has sent this country!!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Even 1/11 will be too early

Maybe if they open a week later, 7/11 could run a promotion! With all this delay and confusion who is going to be planning a holiday to Thailand? They may just start looking at availability to places that have already sorted stuff out.

• Like 1

The World is going to have to learn to LIVE WITH this virus, just like we do with the flu each winter. The politicians have no more grip on the situation, than we do, the scientists by their very nature, will err on the side of caution for fear of being sued or losing face, if they get it wrong. So flip-flopping like a sardine in a net is the standard fare for politicians. Double vaccinated and tested visitors should be welcome into the country, they will already be insured up to their ears by the regulations, so there will not be a drain on the financial resources of any treatment room. Sadly, I read that yet another hundred or so die each day, but what else is the population dying of? Or have all the other ailments been netted into Covid-19, or maybe the other diseases don't count anymore? Mask up, and get on with it if you have been double vaccinated, of course you can stay home and wait!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ellenrocr said:

The World is going to have to learn to LIVE WITH this virus, just like we do with the flu each winter. The politicians have no more grip on the situation, than we do, the scientists by their very nature, will err on the side of caution for fear of being sued or losing face, if they get it wrong. So flip-flopping like a sardine in a net is the standard fare for politicians. Double vaccinated and tested visitors should be welcome into the country, they will already be insured up to their ears by the regulations, so there will not be a drain on the financial resources of any treatment room. Sadly, I read that yet another hundred or so die each day, but what else is the population dying of? Or have all the other ailments been netted into Covid-19, or maybe the other diseases don't count anymore? Mask up, and get on with it if you have been double vaccinated, of course you can stay home and wait!

Most people are fortunately very aware that the situation in the "new" corridors was pretty much under control with very low infection numbers.

Besides vaccination numbers being low, the most important thing to do is limit movement, not to bring new infections to these areas.

That people like you are fed-up and want to carry on doesn't change the situation. You could have said the same last year!

Until people have been vaccinated, you should not unnecessarily spread the virus around the country. And pleasure trips and tourism are not classified as necessary.

1 hour ago, Bob20 said:

Even 1/11 will be too early, as 70% will not be jabbed by mid-October. Besides, we need 85%!

Nobody in the scientific community is talking about herd immunity any more, whether at 70% or 85%, as it's not an option given 'r' rates over one and transmissibility of variants.

This is way, way out of date - vaccines and prior infection give protection, not herd immunity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ellenrocr said:

Fair comment, in the main, but why not wait to "live with it" once people are vaccinated rather than die from it before they're vaccinated?

• Like 1

Article Quote: 

Chiang Mai has been particularly cautious about reopening as the winter months are traditionally much more popular with domestic tourists than international ones. They have focused on the domestic market as the third phase of the We Travel Together hotel subsidising programme is set to continue in October.

Foreign travellers are expected to start to return when international flights resume to Chiang Mai in January of next year as long as demand is there for flights to operate. Korean golfers are expected to bolster international tourism to the region.

Until then, Chiang Mai will cautiously reopen using the 7+7 extension program connected to the Phuket Sandbox at first to test the waters, whether on October 1 or November 1.

So this is pure ingenious. Let's only do a domestic push. Now that is just brilliant and will stop the infections dead in its tracks, well if it was in fact alive, but it isn't in the sense that we think being alive is.

And it is brilliant also based on the other fact that no one in Thailand has the virus and everyone is already vaccinated. Truth of the matter is it seems the majority who come to CM are the Bangkok people who have money or second homes here, but nope, there is no covid in Bangkok so no need to worry about them spreading it through their travel to stimulate the economy.. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Article Quote: 

Chiang Mai has been particularly cautious about reopening as the winter months are traditionally much more popular with domestic tourists than international ones. They have focused on the domestic market as the third phase of the We Travel Together hotel subsidising programme is set to continue in October.

Foreign travellers are expected to start to return when international flights resume to Chiang Mai in January of next year as long as demand is there for flights to operate. Korean golfers are expected to bolster international tourism to the region.

Until then, Chiang Mai will cautiously reopen using the 7+7 extension program connected to the Phuket Sandbox at first to test the waters, whether on October 1 or November 1.

So this is pure ingenious. Let's only do a domestic push. Now that is just brilliant and will stop the infections dead in its tracks, well if it was in fact alive, but it isn't in the sense that we think being alive is.

And it is brilliant also based on the other fact that no one in Thailand has the virus and everyone is already vaccinated. Truth of the matter is it seems the majority who come to CM are the Bangkok people who have money or second homes here, but nope, there is no covid in Bangkok so no need to worry about them spreading it through their travel to stimulate the economy.. 

True - absolute madness.

Not just allowing unnecessary travel, but actively encouraging it. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Article Quote: 

I've been saying this for over a month. We're talking to deaf ears my friend. They let up mindless lead balloons each day again.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/excess-mortality-p-scores-average-baseline?country=~THA

You will see that things were generally flat (+5/10% more each month) until the virus wave hit in April  currently running around 40% more people dying than normally. And bear in mind, this is with current restrictions in place…

89464055-A9EF-47D4-9199-E3AECEE38C16.jpeg

Edited by Faz
edited removing quoted content already hidden.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Like so many things in this modern world, covid and the response to it is dividing society. 

The reality is that people on both sides can see the arguments but simply not convinced. It’s a fact that millions of people world wide have died prematurely. That millions more have been left with debilitating longer term illness. It’s also a fact that millions have lost their income and have had their lives destroyed by the economic impact of covid, many of whom will never recover and many will decide they can’t continue. 

The debate of to lockdown or open up has been continuing for months now. We know that locking down stops the spread of the virus and after some time brings it back under control. It doesn’t remove it and make it go away, it just slows its spread and keeps it under control and the numbers down. We also know that as we ease off restrictions, the numbers rise again. So, are we to take a gamble and open and see what happens? Make no mistake, this would be a gamble. It would be a gamble, not only against what we ourselves have seen in each and every country with low vaccination and high population density, It would also be a gamble against all respected scientific advice.

So are we to gamble on this? Should we ignore what we see in the data? Should we ignore the science? Should we risk loosing loved ones many years prematurely? Should we risk our own life? Before you can answer that I think you need to ask for what benefit? In the case of Thailand to save 15% of its economy and risk much more if the gamble doesn’t pay off?  For a holiday? For a night partying? 

Its been a tough 20 months for our generations. But it’s not been a 5 year world war with bombs dropping out of the sky each night. Let’s get these restrictions in to perspective. The vaccines have arrived. Let’s hold our course and hold our nerve just a few more months and then move forward. 

It will be another 3-5 years before life truly returns to normal, but it will. Let’s have no regrets that will killed millions more than necessary because we gambled and lost, when all the evidence says we shouldn’t have. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

number of people needing vaccines divided by... of never mind. 

You could get a position in the TAT. I’m sure you were going to pluck a figure out of your ……

• Haha 1

A number of off topic and bickering posts have been removed along with the replies to them.

This is not a thread to post your opinions about the rights to vaccinate or not.

• Like 1

As @Bob20 has said. It’s the insecurity that’s most damaging to business. I also suspect that the main reason for all these false promises and backtracking, relates to government financial support. If the government says that lockdowns or restrictions to travel will be in place until certain criteria are met, then on the one hand it helps business to plan, but on the other it gives business more claim to financial support. If the government suggest it’s only another few weeks and then we will be open, the claim for financial support is less vocal and would gain less support from the public. If they said it’s not likely to happen until February 2022 then everyone will want support  the related question is why are they doing this instead of simply supporting business and individuals more? It’s not like they don’t have the money available..

My kids used the same tactic when they didn’t want to go to bed - “just another 10 minutes dad”. If they had said  we aren’t going to bed for another 45 mins, they would have been marched off straightaway. It’s the same approach to keep people quiet with Covid. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Soidog said:

As @Bob20 has said. It’s the insecurity that’s most damaging to business. I also suspect that the main reason for all these false promises and backtracking, relates to government financial support. If the government says that lockdowns or restrictions to travel will be in place until certain criteria are met, then on the one hand it helps business to plan, but on the other it gives business more claim to financial support. If the government suggest it’s only another few weeks and then we will be open, the claim for financial support is less vocal and would gain less support from the public. If they said it’s not likely to happen until February 2022 then everyone will want support  the related question is why are they doing this instead of simply supporting business and individuals more? It’s not like they don’t have the money available..

My kids used the same tactic when they didn’t want to go to bed - “just another 10 minutes dad”. If they had said  we aren’t going to bed for another 45 mins, they would have been marched off straightaway. It’s the same approach to keep people quiet with Covid. 

I'll just stay up another 10 minutes then ...

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Soidog said:

It’s the insecurity that’s most damaging to business.

Could that word insecurity be replaced by the words Fake News. Sure the people at the top know what the figures are projecting and realism that their decision will affect a lot of peoples financial decisions.

But it’s not an issue now as the may delay has just been reported as a will be delayed.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2186023/govt-delays-plan-to-re-open-cities-to-tourists-until-nov

5 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Could that word insecurity be replaced by the words Fake News. Sure the people at the top know what the figures are projecting and realism that their decision will affect a lot of peoples financial decisions.

But it’s not an issue now as the may delay has just been reported as a will be delayed.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2186023/govt-delays-plan-to-re-open-cities-to-tourists-until-nov

Now, if only they had done it right and not quote another date.

They should have kept to: when we reach xx% vaccination rate. And then say realistically it may be January at the very earliest instead of messing people about yet again in a few weeks time.

Personally, pandemics over for me. Feels great to be unshackled from the chains of covid fear. 

I don't know about how others feel, but I believe like Ive made my contribution to society at great personal sacrifice over the last 18 months by isolating so much.

So now I'm living my life normally again without any fear nor moral obligation to protect others. 

Anyone in a vunerable category has had plenty of time to get vaccinated. If they haven't done it by now, then they're the ones who need to isolate as theyre in the minority.

People are going to die just like they do from many other causes. Thats what old and unhealthy people do. They die. 

So maybe I'll see you soon at the cafe, in the mall, in the office or at a restaurant. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Rip255 said:

Personally, pandemics over for me. Feels great to be unshackled from the chains of covid fear. 

I don't know about how others feel, but I believe like Ive made my contribution to society at great personal sacrifice over the last 18 months by isolating so much.

So now I'm living my life normally again without any fear nor moral obligation to protect others. 

Anyone in a vunerable category has had plenty of time to get vaccinated. If they haven't done it by now, then they're the ones who need to isolate as theyre in the minority.

People are going to die just like they do from many other causes. Thats what old and unhealthy people do. They die. 

So maybe I'll see you soon at the cafe, in the mall, in the office or at a restaurant. 

You're going to be real popular here 🤣

I bet you live in an area where the government decided to send plenty of vaccines and you don't care enough to realise that you've had an advantage others have not had. They're still waiting for their 1st jab!

Hope you had double sinovac 🤭

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Rip255 said:

You set a record for me.

After reading only one post from you I have decided you are worthy of placement into the ignore file.  Thank goodness I'll never, even accidentally, have to read anything else from you.

• Haha 1