News Forum - Amnesty says vaccine makers putting profits before lives amid global inequity

Thaiger

Amnesty International has accused the manufacturers of Covid-19 vaccines of putting profits before lives and called on wealthy governments to distribute 2 billion doses to poorer nations. According to an AFP report, Amnesty boss Agnes Callamard says that US President Joe Biden is expected to use the UN General Assembly to confirm a pledge to fully vaccinate 70% of the world by September 22. She is calling on him to show his commitment by donating excess vaccine doses. “We need leaders like President Biden to put billions of doses on the table and deliver the goods, otherwise this is just […]

The post Amnesty says vaccine makers putting profits before lives amid global inequity appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

No company will develope and produce medicines for cost price,  or pass on the 'patents' for this.. these companies spend billions on developing new drugs for many ailments, many don't pass the finish line.. its not a case of looking at one product they make and working out the costs on that  product..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Thaired said:

It's only ever been and always will be about profits., not health. Forcing an experiment onto the human population is simply criminal.

I disagree.

The majority of researchers and scientists love their job and hope every day that they will find something that will help humanity. They just work on a small piece of a puzzle and won't see the big money.

And 1) it's not an experiment. The technology was there already and the vaccines were just released earlier, having already passed ph1&2. plus 2) if you're so against the vaccines, if they weren't here, you'd still be in hard lockdown, if you were still alive!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, KT50 said:

Not the brightest bunch over at Amnesty International.  Good hearts, shit for brains. 

I find all of these "international" NGOs types to be nothing short of charlatans - especially, AI.

Their truer agendas are underwritten by unscrupulous culturally-centric circles. 

10 minutes ago, Rain said:

I find all of these "international" NGOs types to be nothing short of charlatans - especially, AI.

Their truer agendas are underwritten by unscrupulous culturally-centric circles. 

Ain't dat de troof. 😉

I’m a firm believer in the notion that “no one is safe until we are all safe”. However, I baulk at the idea that richer nations who purchased lots of vaccines to ensure they had enough, should now give them free to nations who’s leaders prefer to send tax money to their own private bank accounts. Why should countries with low corruption supply free vaccines in order to bail out these evil corrupt people. I know it’s not the direct fault of the average citizen. But it’s their country who’s mess they need to sort out. I guess I just get sick of these countries criticising western values until the shit hits the fan and then they want (demand) free support. I wonder what would happen if the shoe was on the other foot?…..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Bob20 said:

I disagree.

The majority of researchers and scientists love their job and hope every day that they will find something that will help humanity. They just work on a small piece of a puzzle and won't see the big money.

And 1) it's not an experiment. The technology was there already and the vaccines were just released earlier, having already passed ph1&2. plus 2) if you're so against the vaccines, if they weren't here, you'd still be in hard lockdown, if you were still alive!

I agree with the vaccines but lockdown on a long way didn't work as we can see in the studies of this countries like Australia and by the way only very rich countries can afford a long lockdown because you need a huge amount of money to manage that. 3rd world countries cannot afford it or they would die of starving . A bad example is also Thailand the borders are locked since march 2020 and still not able to offer everywhere vaccine walk ins, useless apps and registration hoops and still making it to a struggle to get a jab. Anouncements and then arriving there and the vaccine out of stock and no staff who can answer when it will avaiable, etc etc. After so much time to prepare it us unbelievable not get it fixed and especially when the economy and people struggeling because of it. They talking about vaccine passports but not even able to offer enough vaccines to reach 50% vaccination rate. People who get the astra have their 2nd shot 3 month after I saw personally the papers they got. If everybody who get a shot now has to wait minimum 3 month how ridiculus is it to demand vaccine passports or certification from people?! And with waiting 3 month for the second shot how they wanna come over 50% of vaccinated people or they count only the first shot and trick the statistics.

12 hours ago, Rain said:

Wow!

What a small, unpleasant little world you must live in to be so dismissive of people and groups who try to work towards a common good.

Are the International Non-Profits perfect entities? Nope, not by a long shot, but they do some tremendous work around the globe. There are programs in many, many countries to bring clean water, or simply any water, to villages. There are health programs providing basic health services to people who have never seen a doctor. There are groups building schools and training teachers to provide opportunities to children. There are groups promoting basic human rights for all (how many reading this whine that 'Falang' don't get a fair shot?). There are groups providing small scale economic investment so that people can actually earn a living instead of asking for hand-outs. There are groups offering educational opportunities to farmers so that they can grow enough food. 

Simply put, while the groups are not perfect, they have a great impact on many people's lives and raise everyone up a tad.

Is this not a good thing?

Finally, a special word about AI. You can mock their campaigns all you like, but anyone living in Thailand for the last several years has seen people getting screwed over by a justice system that doesn't seem right (anyone going to write a post on the wonderfulness of the Thai legal system? I am waiting). Having an outside organization with global reach shining a light on injustices is a good thing; sunlight is the best disinfectant.

Mock them all you want; the existence of the global non-profits make the world a slightly better place. And, finally, better hope that you are never in need of a voice helping you from outside; if you dismiss them now, they won't be there for you or yours later.