Who is the best car manufacturer and can you buy their cars in Thailand?

Smithydog

1 hour ago, Transam said:

The designer is English, power train is Japanese Toyota, chassis is Toyota Revo, so I understand....

Understand what?

Made in Thailand.
You enjoy look down Thailand. Everytime. I not care. Pfffft 

Nice car. 9 seater. Comfortable.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Transam said:

I think you are overreacting, I am giving you information on that ride you may not know, but you do now.

Plus, there are many car brands that are 'made' in Thailand, including my favourite, Mercedes...😉

MB do not manufacture any cars in Thailand 100%. ( nor do BMW )They are assembled in Thailand as they are imported as CKD imports. Their engines are 100% imported. The cars are assembled in Thailand only

Automotive industry in Thailand - Wikipedia

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Transam said:

Correct, they assemble Mercs here, the same as the "Thai" ride, assembled with Toyota chassis and drive train. No doubt the panels are pressed here, but 100% Thai, no, Thai designed, no....

Correct there, but just imagine what the result would be if it was 100% Thai design and manufactured. Perhaps we should have another thread ( perhaps in the Jokes and Fun forum) for ideas and suggestions what that vehicle would look like and how it would perform ? 😂

20 hours ago, MrStretch said:

the next one is 100 km away.

That's about the distance between Tesla chargers on the highways in the US. (Of course some towns are large enough to warrant two or more locations, but out on the open road they are spaced at a distance where you want to stop and walk the dog anyway.)

10 minutes ago, JamesE said:

That's about the distance between Tesla chargers on the highways in the US. (Of course some towns are large enough to warrant two or more locations, but out on the open road they are spaced at a distance where you want to stop and walk the dog anyway.)

So in the states you get a free dog with every Tesla bought ? 🙂

10 minutes ago, gummy said:

So in the states you get a free dog with every Tesla bought ? 🙂

"There's no such thing as a free dog."

But Tesla is a very dog-friendly company. Go and test drive a $100K Model S and the response is "Of course you can take your dog on the ride." The car even comes with "Dog Mode" where you can leave the A/C on for little poochie while you go run errands. The display screen shows:

tesla-dog-omde-and-buster.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JamesE said:

But Tesla is a very dog-friendly company. Go and test drive a $100K Model S and the response is "Of course you can take your dog on the ride." The car even comes with "Dog Mode" where you can leave the A/C on for little poochie while you go run errands. The display screen shows:

Excellent idea, pity they were not more affordable here, and of course places where you could charge them around the countryside. 

On 9/22/2021 at 10:12 AM, JamesE said:

Tesla. Yeah, yeah, yeah... They're not "real" cars. No engine, no gears, no gas, no oil changes, not much need for brakes, etc., etc., etc... But driving one is like driving the future. (Which I realize makes no sense until you actually have driven one.) We've got a 3 y.o. Model 3 and it's the best car I've ever had (most of my rides came from Germany). Some of the Jetson's stuff takes a bit to get used to - like the don't use the brakes part - but once you do, you can get into a gas car and it's like "what a clattery, noisy, smelly POS." There was some guy importing them to TLOS from Japan, not sure if he still is.

Mercedes - I'm worried that their styling department is either on drugs or targeting the Chinese market but the new E-class pluggable hybrids are wonderful. Of course they're available in Thailand.

VW - Of the twenty-some cars I've owned most have been VWs. In their new models the ID.4 is very interesting. I think it's one of the better looking electrics and once they figure out that they'll actually have to compete with Tesla it will improve by leaps and bounds.

Toyota - They've shelved Hydrogen as a fuel so they'll start playing with electrics. A HiLux with an 80kWh battery and a solar panel over the bed would be a world changer. Plus there's all the Corolla drivers. Well made vehicles all around and they've got decades of practice with batteries.

Geely - My only hands-on with a Geely was in Venezuela back when the Chinese basically reverse-engineered a Honda Accord. Since then they've expanded, to say the least. I like what they're doing with Volvo as their primary "western" entry. They seem to be using it as a test-bed for concept cars and they're spitting out models like throwing pasta against the wall. Some of them will stick.

Mercedes… James you are way off the mark.

I don’t think the styling of the new E Class is all that great although the roof on the AMG version makes it look better.

As for reliability  Not Good… Problems with… air suspension and associated compressor… air conditioning system…screens… and tyre noise and a few other niggles. Electric range is nowhere near advertised. Other than that it is OK.

In two years Mrs PF has had changed one air suspension unit and one a/c air compressor. So so far- lucky.

MBEQ-TH was formed some four years ago by two owners to share problems and solutions with Merc PHEV’s. Now has more than 300 members.

Mercs used to be really good cars… now not so much. For some reason Thai’s aspire to them. Taxi in many countries.

Honda, especially Civic are good except far too much NVH. They seem reliable.

Ford.. their Everest is a nice ride, well for ‘body on frame’ but customer care in our experience is lacking.

Edited by Mynemesis
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, gummy said:

MB do not manufacture any cars in Thailand 100%. ( nor do BMW )They are assembled in Thailand as they are imported as CKD imports. Their engines are 100% imported. The cars are assembled in Thailand only

Automotive industry in Thailand - Wikipedia

When I bought my last Ducati it was nominally 'made in Thailand'.  There was a locally manufactured component requirement at the time Ducati set up their plant here but I could not identify a single part of my bike that was made here and I know for a fact that the engine was manufactured and built up in Italy.

As an aside I wasn't impressed to see that the exhaust was made by the Three Flying Monkey Co. (or whatever the name was) in Shanghai.

1 minute ago, Changnam43 said:

When I bought my last Ducati it was nominally 'made in Thailand'.  There was a locally manufactured component requirement at the time Ducati set up their plant here but I could not identify a single part of my bike that was made here and I know for a fact that the engine was manufactured and built up in Italy.

As an aside I wasn't impressed to see that the exhaust was made by the Three Flying Monkey Co. (or whatever the name was) in Shanghai.

A while back I saw two Ducati's being offloaded at a dealership here. They appeared to have plastic wrap over the handlebars and seat, bet that plastic wrap was the only item made in Thailand

7 minutes ago, Transam said:

I read that Ducati has a factory in LOS, it 'makes' nine models...The article said 'make'...😊...Look..

No idea but according to this it is an assembly plant.

"In Thailand, Ducati Motor Thailand runs an assembly plant at Rayong's Amata City Industrial Estate, established in 2010. The 879-million-baht plant makes 20,000 motorcycles a year with 208 employees."

Ref. article is here; Ducati keen on R&D ties with test centre (bangkokpost.com)

1 minute ago, Transam said:

Yes, I watched them putting engines together, so it seems engines are built/assembled from scratch.

But the components are not manufactured in Thailand I suspect so hence why the description by Ducati that is is an assembly plant

7 minutes ago, Transam said:

Yes, I watched them putting engines together, so it seems engines are built/assembled from scratch.

The Ducati I had was the first locally assembled model.  I think I bought it in 2012 or 2013 and for sure that engine was built in Italy.

Though as you have watched them building engines I readily accept that things have changed with time.

• Like 1

European reports have shown Mazda to be the most reliable brand for quite a few years. I've driven a 323, 2 626's, 5 MX5's and an RX8 and I have to agree. None ever let me down nor gave me any expense other than regular service.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Transam said:

I think any manufacturer will have a lemon or lemons, our Thai friend bought a new Mazda 2 or 3, it keeps going back to the dealers with electrical problems. 

Tell him to put petrol in, it's not an EV! 🥴

• Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 3:38 PM, Transam said:

With respect, did you mean Toyota Fortuner..🤭

We looked at this one, it was so huge when we got to the showroom. Decided on the Toyota Cross- a mini SUV hybrid.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2021 at 4:01 AM, Smithydog said:

I grew up us a Ford man because my dad was one.

Clearly not a critical thinker than.

Jag? The best days to own a Jag? the day  you buy it and the day you sell it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Toyota pickups sell at a premium I'm Thailand. The Hi-lux/Vigo, Fortuner and Inova were all basically the same vehicle chassis and mechanicals designed for production in relatively lo-tech factories in S.E Asia

They are undoubtedly reliable to the point of being bullet-proof. Even a 20 year old Tiger will attract people coming up to you in the street trying to buy it..

the reality is that most pickups in Thailand are pretty bullet proof.

pricing and import duty in Thailand severely narrows the range of vehicles available - basically there are ones made in Thailand a few from Asean and some TKDs that are grossly overpriced.

If Thailand ever opens its doors to cheaper imports the whole market would change - you might even find road safety improves. At present though the Thai motor industry is doing very well out of a combination of exports and home market - but they need to change to keep up with the times.

3 hours ago, Khunwilko said:

Clearly not a critical thinker than.

Jag? The best days to own a Jag? the day  you buy it and the day you sell it.

Growing up in Australia not much need for it. At that time we only had 2 choices for most.... a Ford or a Holden. 

The uber rich could drive some fancy imported car. I believed Dad picked a Ford simply because he preferred the way they were engineered at the time. After all, he was an aircraft engineer so was interested in mechanics.

Yes later, dad bought a Mitsubishi Colt and mum had a Mini as the family pickup vehicle.

The dream of owing a Jag was strong in my early years but that died down as I realised that it was a British car built only on advertising hot air with no substance! Like so many things British through my teens and later.😁

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Transam said:

What era was that...?

I thought all rides were and still are sold on "Hot air", look at the Chinese MG....😋

They are quite often.... it is why trust in car salespeople has never been high due to the way they are portrayed (and for some how they act!) ..... ha ha

5 hours ago, Transam said:

What era was that...?

I thought all rides were and still are sold on "Hot air", look at the Chinese MG....😋

Don't underestimate MG - they are the fastest growing brand in Oz.....in the next 5 years they will totally dominate most markets - and like other "new" car manufacturing countries, their product will dramatically improve.

6 hours ago, Smithydog said:

Growing up in Australia not much need for it. At that time we only had 2 choices for most.... a Ford or a Holden. 

The uber rich could drive some fancy imported car. I believed Dad picked a Ford simply because he preferred the way they were engineered at the time. After all, he was an aircraft engineer so was interested in mechanics.

Yes later, dad bought a Mitsubishi Colt and mum had a Mini as the family pickup vehicle.

The dream of owing a Jag was strong in my early years but that died down as I realised that it was a British car built only on advertising hot air with no substance! Like so many things British through my teens and later.😁

I lived in Ozfrom the 90s to the 2000s and had a couple of Fords and a Vintage Holden, but by then it was Toyota and Mitsu who were taking over both saloons and utes. It was clear that Oz was not going to last, they simply didn't have product.

On 9/23/2021 at 10:24 AM, JamesE said:

Thought you were talking about free hot dogs....

2 hours ago, Khunwilko said:

I lived in Ozfrom the 90s to the 2000s and had a couple of Fords and a Vintage Holden, but by then it was Toyota and Mitsu who were taking over both saloons and utes. It was clear that Oz was not going to last, they simply didn't have product.

Product was one item. But I am sure that there were other factors as well. This included the continuing shift to no tariffs on cars made in production facilities in Asia. Also lower production costs simply because of the substantially lower wage costs than Australian Manufacturing greatly affected profit margins. In addition, a vastly smaller market for new cars, due to a low population, that was now swamped by tariff free overseas brands and low export volumes would have had an influence.

All this combined saw the inevitable end of car production in Australia.

Recent stats show 45 brands selling cars in Australia in August of this year.

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-news/vfacts-australias-car-sales-for-august-2021-detailed

Even removing cross ownership of brands, in my opinion, when compared to 1980s you will likely find far less brands (probably including a brand or two that also doesn't exist anymore).