Who is the best car manufacturer and can you buy their cars in Thailand?

Smithydog

A UK magazine listed what their readers voted as the best car manufacturers in the UK.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/best-cars/driver-power/91289/best-car-manufacturers

If we expanded it across the world, what would be your vote and why? Do you agree with the “reader vote”?

I grew up us a Ford man because my dad was one. In my later working years, the cars I had as part of my work were all made by Hyundai and I became a fan. I always dreamt of owning a Jag or an Aston Martin, but my top 5 would be.

Kia (Didn’t start well but have really improved)

Hyundai (Had to be up there considering my earlier comment!)

Mazda (Not based on my personal experience but raved about from trusted friends)

Jaguar   (Seem to have maintained a good consistency)

Toyota  (Always been a fan. Nailed it IMO with the HiLux range!)

I have seen all brands advertised in Thailand. Probably seen more Toyota Hilux than any other car type!

Let us know your selection. Can you get your “top 5” here in Thailand?

• Like 1

Tesla. Yeah, yeah, yeah... They're not "real" cars. No engine, no gears, no gas, no oil changes, not much need for brakes, etc., etc., etc... But driving one is like driving the future. (Which I realize makes no sense until you actually have driven one.) We've got a 3 y.o. Model 3 and it's the best car I've ever had (most of my rides came from Germany). Some of the Jetson's stuff takes a bit to get used to - like the don't use the brakes part - but once you do, you can get into a gas car and it's like "what a clattery, noisy, smelly POS." There was some guy importing them to TLOS from Japan, not sure if he still is.

Mercedes - I'm worried that their styling department is either on drugs or targeting the Chinese market but the new E-class pluggable hybrids are wonderful. Of course they're available in Thailand.

VW - Of the twenty-some cars I've owned most have been VWs. In their new models the ID.4 is very interesting. I think it's one of the better looking electrics and once they figure out that they'll actually have to compete with Tesla it will improve by leaps and bounds.

Toyota - They've shelved Hydrogen as a fuel so they'll start playing with electrics. A HiLux with an 80kWh battery and a solar panel over the bed would be a world changer. Plus there's all the Corolla drivers. Well made vehicles all around and they've got decades of practice with batteries.

Geely - My only hands-on with a Geely was in Venezuela back when the Chinese basically reverse-engineered a Honda Accord. Since then they've expanded, to say the least. I like what they're doing with Volvo as their primary "western" entry. They seem to be using it as a test-bed for concept cars and they're spitting out models like throwing pasta against the wall. Some of them will stick.

Edited by JamesE
Forgot the last 4 lol...
  • Like 1

Every moral and ethical person on the planet should buy only EV's.

This aint 1960 anymore.  Climate change, global warming.  Think about your children and grandchildren.

Getting from point A to point B should use the smallest carbon footprint available

Life is Good

Peace

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

19 minutes ago, JamesE said:

Geely - My only hands-on with a Geely was in Venezuela back when the Chinese basically reverse-engineered a Honda Accord. Since then they've expanded, to say the least. I like what they're doing with Volvo as their primary "western" entry. They seem to be using it as a test-bed for concept cars and they're spitting out models like throwing pasta against the wall. Some of them will stick.

I had heard the name "Geely" but haven't had anything to do with them personally. Just had a look at them and yes it will be interesting to see what they do with Volvo. 

That is sometimes the problem with car manufacturers. Who owns them now and what will they do! 

• Like 1

Toyota would have to be a Worldwide #1 though I've only ever had a few hand models.

Honda and Mazda both excellent.

The problem with defining the best or one's favourite is all makes differ in model range and build quality in different regions.  ie: Ford Ranger easily beats Toyota Revo in most respects.

Euro models outside of Eu, tend to be expensive to buy and maintain and all makes (except Toyota) go thru their ups and downs.  Nissan and Mitsubishi for example.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Changnam43 said:

That UK top ten 'best' cars list is amusing. 

Tesla comes in at number three despite 42% of owners reporting faults with their cars.

Apart from a car that doesn't fail all the time, 😀 do you have a personal preference in brand or brands from you experience? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ExpatPattaya said:

Every moral and ethical person on the planet should buy only EV's.

If Thailand would get with the program and set up charging stations, I'd be all for it.

Sadly, they've been incredibly poor at "alternative" energy for ground transport.  Only one vendor for CNG and outside of BKK, they are scattered to the wind and you can't make a trip of any distance solely on CNG.

LPG stations are more prevalent, but I rarely see anyone using them.

Electric charging stations? Outside of the handful in my town, the next one is 100 km away.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smithydog said:

Apart from a car that doesn't fail all the time, 😀 do you have a personal preference in brand or brands from you experience? 

Yes.  Lotus.  The world's best sports car in my opinion.  I have had five.

But for everyday driving here I use either a Toyota Hilux or a Suzuki Carry.

1 hour ago, Transam said:

My trusty steed, Vigo...😉

Photo-0007.jpg.f56d9506f3b2230c36c8950a1227f9c3.jpg

My wife does 50-60,000 km a year on business.  Her last truck was a Vigo.  In 500,000 km the only non service replacements were two rear wheel bearings and one clutch.  It still had a decent trade in value even after all those km.

Her new and current truck?  Another Vigo.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Transam said:

My chum in the UK was the finest auto engineer I have ever met, he would take on any job on any car to solve a problem. He was also a great body man, you name it, he could fix it.

What did he drive, well he had a 1974 Chevy Camero with a supercharged 5.8ltr V8 as his fun car, but his daily drivers were always Toyota, he says the most reliable, well engineered cars out there, rarely a problem.

I personally never owned a Toyota, but when I moved to LOS I followed his advice, bought a Toyota Vigo 4x4 with auto trans. I sold it on at 11.5 years old, still looked like new and drove like new, even the doors closed like new, one of the best decisions I ever made....

With  respect,  your friend was probably a skilled mechanic.  Not an automotive engineer. Engineers are accademicly qualified, wear as mechanics are vocational or self taught. Mechanics turn wrenches sometimes very skillfully, and mechanical engineers design  things. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

With  respect,  your friend was probably a skilled mechanic.  Not an automotive engineer. Engineers are accademicly qualified, wear as mechanics are vocational or self taught. Mechanics turn wrenches sometimes very skillfully, and mechanical engineers design  things. 

They both can probably do better work on the cars than I can! I used to push the brake pedal when my Engineer dad was replacing the brake pads....does that mean I am a Mechanic...ha ha😁

What is your preferred car of choice?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MrStretch said:

If Thailand would get with the program and set up charging stations, I'd be all for it.

Sadly, they've been incredibly poor at "alternative" energy for ground transport.  Only one vendor for CNG and outside of BKK, they are scattered to the wind and you can't make a trip of any distance solely on CNG.

LPG stations are more prevalent, but I rarely see anyone using them.

Electric charging stations? Outside of the handful in my town, the next one is 100 km away.

They are also really poor at support for solar power; or at least my preferred way which is solar power generation at the point of use with grid tie.  In fact rather than support it they put obstacles in the way of doing it.

We have a Toyota Foretuner here in Thailand. It's ģood on the road but not as easy to park. It's far superior to the Benz SUV my wife had in the US.  The Benz had a number of  problems and was always expensive to fix.

I had several  Volvo turbos that were quick and stuck to the road. 

I'd say Toyota. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yinn said:

My first vehicle in Thailand was an Isuzu Estate built in that plant. It was quite second hand, under powered, but impressively soundproofed with customized interior. I pushed it hard on many long haul trips and it never failed. Eventually replaced it with a Hilux for practical reasons.

I have yet see to see one of these Transformers on the road but if built the same way could be good for those the styling appeals to.

• Like 2

Just now, Transam said:

The designer is English, power train is Japanese Toyota, chassis is Toyota Revo, so I understand....

But that little piece of totty in the picture sure is made in Thailand 🤣

Best cars sold in Thailand for practical purposes are the pick ups, comfort, fast enough, easy to drive, all brands are much of a muchness i choose the triton in Thailand on value for money, but i did like the design of the 2017 era ford pickup, all euro cars are over-priced for what they are, my son is a Mercedes guy, but he is young, and has the life style in Bangkok to go with it. 

In my 20's/30's raised in Dagenham i was ford man, cortinas mk2,3,4 and 5, capri 2.0s 3.0s jps colours, 2.8injection, granada 3.0 ghia mk 1, in the 198o's, i drove lots of Fast cars, granada's, senators, jags, jag xjs, audi 100 quato, 4x4 sierras, xr3i, all day for a living,

now in Thailand i have a vw kombi a triton, and a almera, more modern than the earlier cars i drove so easier to drive, more fuel efficient, i think having cars through the 70's 80,s and 90's there was more fun with the cars of that era, not so many road rules, mot's were easy, downside was rust, i think todays cars unless you have money are boring compared to then

i think one of the nicest cars i owned and enjoyed driving was a saab 9000.