Who is the best car manufacturer and can you buy their cars in Thailand?

Smithydog

I do my part for the environment by only using this trusty classic when needed.

Wait till someone i don't like to come near before i start it up.   DIESEL   at its best worst 

Isuzu .         For cars,  always Toyota 

my truck .jpg

Nissan Kicks e-Power hybrid. The engine is manufactured here in Thailand. I have one and like it, but not for its roominess or creature features. I bought it for its economy and for its smaller carbon footprint. It gets decent gas mileage even with my heavy foot.

My most recent cars included a 2020 Mini Cooper, a 2018 Range Rover Velar, a 2015 Nissan GT-R, and a 2014 Nissan Titan Pro-4x. Now I just have the Kicks and a Yamaha Grand Filano. That's all I need here.

My only complaint is the ignition key could be a bit smaller.

1621844779784.~2.jpg

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Smithydog said:

continuing shift to no tariffs on cars made in production facilities in Asia.

the vehicles made in Oz were also part of reciprocal FT arrangements with Asia but nobody wanted them. They also had to manufacture Japanese vehicles in Oz.......like Thailand - but they failed to export.

even manistream Holdens and Ford were using imported designs , engines mechanics etc. In fact is was Ford got the credit for building the "most Australian" cars, but without exports they were flogging a dead horse.

Production costs were lower only partly because of wages - (the wages thing is actually  bit of a cliche)  the truth is that such vehicles as the Toyota Vigo/Fortuner/Inova were essentially a one vehicle platform designed to be built in high volume in low tech factories. Thailand is only now upgrading to higher tech production. Australia had virtually no export matrket for their own vehicles and only a tiny home market.

E.G. Thailand had a home market in a population of 70 million, Australia 22million - they had to export a product or die.

Oz o=fcourse like other countries in the 70s and 80s tried to protect their home market but this can only go on for so long - Thailand is facing a similar problem - but as their motor industry is around 10th largest in the world they are in a better position nd they have product.

without a significant home industry, Oz market will be entirely imported vehicles - they need FT agreements to keep the prices reasonable - it is very unlikely any major foreign manufacturers will set up new big facilities in Oz the logistics just don't make sense

Edited by Khunwilko
  • Like 1

Toyota has developed a competitive edge through the use and growth of the Toyota Production System. It has become an area of study for those companies looking to apply "systems thinking" management theory like Lean.

Their policy of waster elimination and focus on quality has no doubt helped them to become one of the most consistently profitable car manufacturers in the world. Their quality has been shown in the "Unbreakable" Toyota Hi-Lux as an example.

https://global.toyota/en/company/vision-and-philosophy/production-system/

Does this make them "the best"? Some would say so. However as personal influences on a decision about "best" can vary, it is usually hard to reach a solely objective opinion on one. In my opinion, over a long term period, they have demonstrated their ability to be up there for sure. But do more design innovative car manufacturers deserve similar accolades?

On 9/23/2021 at 6:32 AM, Transam said:

I think any manufacturer will have a lemon or lemons, our Thai friend bought a new Mazda 2 or 3, it keeps going back to the dealers with electrical problems. 

Jut talking in terms of "brands" is going to run into problems - cars are built in different factories all over the world and inevitably production quality may vary, no matter how much the company tries to achieve uniformity. Also certain models may have inherent design faults or climate may affect their long term viability.

4 hours ago, Smithydog said:

Toyota has developed a competitive edge through the use and growth of the Toyota Production System. It has become an area of study for those companies looking to apply "systems thinking" management theory like Lean.

Their policy of waster elimination and focus on quality has no doubt helped them to become one of the most consistently profitable car manufacturers in the world. Their quality has been shown in the "Unbreakable" Toyota Hi-Lux as an example.

https://global.toyota/en/company/vision-and-philosophy/production-system/

Does this make them "the best"? Some would say so. However as personal influences on a decision about "best" can vary, it is usually hard to reach a solely objective opinion on one. In my opinion, over a long term period, they have demonstrated their ability to be up there for sure. But do more design innovative car manufacturers deserve similar accolades?

Toyota's Len line production system is now used in industry all over the world and not just in the motor industry. It is undoubtedly a major factor in their success. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Best car manufacturer… Daimler AG

When the Japanese car industry started developing, people in the US hated them. Now they’re everywhere in the US.

Back then Japanese cars were extremely unsafe, nowadays they’re fine. But one should not forget who patented the most important safety systems in cars: 

* Airbag 1981 - Mercedes-Benz 

* ABS 1978 - Mercedes-Benz 

* ESP (Traction Control) 1995 - Mercedes-Benz

* Crumple Zones 1959 - Mercedes-Benz

These are some of the most critical systems when it comes to safety, and they were all engineered and patented by Daimler AG (company which owns the Mercedes-Benz brand). Not by the Japanese. The Japanese just used to it to make their cars safer.

This is the main reason why every single car I’ve ever bought and will ever buy must be a Mercedes. 

On 9/22/2021 at 10:01 AM, Smithydog said:

A UK magazine listed what their readers voted as the best car manufacturers in the UK.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/best-cars/driver-power/91289/best-car-manufacturers

If we expanded it across the world, what would be your vote and why? Do you agree with the “reader vote”?

I grew up us a Ford man because my dad was one. In my later working years, the cars I had as part of my work were all made by Hyundai and I became a fan. I always dreamt of owning a Jag or an Aston Martin, but my top 5 would be.

Kia (Didn’t start well but have really improved)

Hyundai (Had to be up there considering my earlier comment!)

Mazda (Not based on my personal experience but raved about from trusted friends)

Jaguar   (Seem to have maintained a good consistency)

Toyota  (Always been a fan. Nailed it IMO with the HiLux range!)

I have seen all brands advertised in Thailand. Probably seen more Toyota Hilux than any other car type!

Let us know your selection. Can you get your “top 5” here in Thailand?

Be wary of what someone who uses a double barrelled surname spouts. More so if he has a first name something like Tristan

Edited by Mynemesis

• 1 month later...
On 9/22/2021 at 1:02 PM, MrStretch said:

If Thailand would get with the program and set up charging stations, I'd be all for it.

I know it's an old comment, but, Why would anyone expect the taxpayers of Thailand or any other country for that matter to pay for charging stations? isn't that the responsibility of the manufacturer or purchaser? IE- Tesla builds charging stations at garages, The big oil companies build garages, so what does the taxpayer have to do with providing charging ports for EV's?

Edited by Thaidup

back to the op.

You can import them into Thailand, You will have to pay a lot of import duty, so the answer is yes, you can buy the best manufactures cars in Thailand whoever you believe it to be🙂

Blink And You’ll Miss Them: The 11 Fastest Cars Of 2022

https://luxe.digital/lifestyle/cars/fastest-cars/

On 1/30/2022 at 9:45 PM, Lyp14 [ctxa] said:

Best car manufacturer… Daimler AG

When the Japanese car industry started developing, people in the US hated them. Now they’re everywhere in the US.

Back then Japanese cars were extremely unsafe, nowadays they’re fine. But one should not forget who patented the most important safety systems in cars: 

* Airbag 1981 - Mercedes-Benz 

* ABS 1978 - Mercedes-Benz 

* ESP (Traction Control) 1995 - Mercedes-Benz

* Crumple Zones 1959 - Mercedes-Benz

These are some of the most critical systems when it comes to safety, and they were all engineered and patented by Daimler AG (company which owns the Mercedes-Benz brand). Not by the Japanese. The Japanese just used to it to make their cars safer.

This is the main reason why every single car I’ve ever bought and will ever buy must be a Mercedes. 

little more nuanced than that...

First airbags were developed in USA – they were dismissed in Europe - 1951 – Airbags

In 1971, the Ford Motor Company built an experimental airbag fleet. General Motors installed airbags in a fleet of 1973 Chevrolet Impalas—for government use only. The 1973 Oldsmobile Toronado was the first car with a passenger airbag sold to the public.

The first road car to feature ABS was the 1966 Jensen FF.

1978 Bosch launched a mass-market system, which made ABS commonplace on luxury vehicles. The 1985 Ford Granada became the first car to offer ABS as standard.

In 1987, Mercedes-Benz, BMW and Toyota introduced their first traction control systems.

The modern three-point seat belt that we all recognise today was created by Volvo engineer, Nils Bohlin, in 1958.

8 hours ago, Thaidup said:

back to the op.

You can import them into Thailand, You will have to pay a lot of import duty, so the answer is yes, you can buy the best manufactures cars in Thailand whoever you believe it to be🙂

Blink And You’ll Miss Them: The 11 Fastest Cars Of 2022

https://luxe.digital/lifestyle/cars/fastest-cars/

import duties and fees on cars made outside ASEAN with no trade agreement amount to 270 to 300%

On 9/23/2021 at 6:32 AM, Transam said:

I think any manufacturer will have a lemon or lemons, our Thai friend bought a new Mazda 2 or 3, it keeps going back to the dealers with electrical problems. 

reliability stats are gathered on sales of 100s of thousands of cars. Just one doesn't really make a point at all. The reliability also varies from market to market depending on spec and usage as well as repair costs.

On 9/22/2021 at 9:38 AM, Transam said:

With respect, did you mean Toyota Fortuner..🤭

the Fortuner range was series of 3 vehicles deigned specifically to be built on low tech production lines in S.E Asia. The range includes the Fortuner, the Vigo pick ups and the Innovas.

On 9/22/2021 at 10:36 AM, Transam said:

The designer is English, power train is Japanese Toyota, chassis is Toyota Revo, so I understand....

Thairung use whoever they can for their powertrain and chassis ..it changes over the years. Current models are based on the Hilux/Revo chassis - unit toyota decide to pull the carpet from underneath them,

• Like 1

Look, now listen,  its obvious what manufacturer is the best, ask any War Lord in Africa, North Africa, or Arabia, Its Toyota. And yes Toyota is built in Thailand.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 9/22/2021 at 1:25 PM, ExpatPattaya said:

Every moral and ethical person on the planet should buy only EV's.

This aint 1960 anymore.  Climate change, global warming.  Think about your children and grandchildren.

Getting from point A to point B should use the smallest carbon footprint available

Life is Good

Peace

That epitomises the problem with the greenies. Everyone who doesn't support their nutcase ideology is looked down on as immoral and unethical. 

Most of them fly around in carbon spewing aircraft too.

Edited by dbrenn

42 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

support their nutcase ideology

It's science - so you aren't just looked down on as unethical or immoral.

25 minutes ago, Khunwilko said:

It's science - so you aren't just looked down on as unethical or immoral.

Ah yes "the science". Where have we heard that before? Science is actually never in agreement, because most of it is based on trial and error, and is funded by vested interests. Even that Thunberg freak was promoted by marketing guru Ingmar Rentzhog, who had interests in ABB, which was lining its pockets selling wind turbines. 

Do you fly much?

1 minute ago, dbrenn said:

Ah yes "the science". Where have we heard that before? Science is actually never in agreement, because most of it is based on trial and error, and is funded by vested interests. Even that Thunberg freak was promoted by marketing guru Ingmar Rentzhog, who had interests in ABB, which was lining its pockets selling wind turbines. 

Do you fly much?

You don't even understand how to define science! - it's "the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment." - In short it's sceptically.

Unless you've been living under a rock for the past few decades, you'll be aware of the science which is leaning towards supporting greener energy - and using cliches and stereotypes like "greens" and "nutcase ideologies" seems to indicate you know nothing of the science preferring nape of the neck reactions and prejudices.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Khunwilko said:

You don't even understand how to define science! - it's "the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment." - In short it's sceptically.

Unless you've been living under a rock for the past few decades, you'll be aware of the science which is leaning towards supporting greener energy - and using cliches and stereotypes like "greens" and "nutcase ideologies" seems to indicate you know nothing of the science preferring nape of the neck reactions and prejudices.

Good god man, can you not engage with another poster without all the arrogant patronising twaddle you come out with.

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Khunwilko said:

Do you fly? I'll bet you do. Greenies like to preach about things that they themselves do.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, astro said:

Why should a "Greenie" (lol) not fly?

Why should a "socilist" not earn money?

Of course they can fly in dirty aircraft that spew out tons of carbon, so long as they stop preaching and lecturing to the rest of us about how we should live in energy poverty. Otherwise, they're nothing but hypoctites, no better than idiots like De Caprio, Prince Charles et al.

Should they swim to the Maldives and go by bicycle to Thailand? 😁

They certainly won't, just to fit your misconception of integrity.

That wouldn't convince you anyway, see Greta Thurnberg who did something like that and you still call her an idiot.