Owl Sanctuaries

Andrew Reeve

Does anyone have any info on Owl Sanctuaries within Thailand please (asking for the wife)

We have come across the Wildlife Friends Foundation Thailand and nothing recent about them.

I read recently that In Thailand, people believed that barn owls will bring them bad luck. If an owl is resting on the roof of someone’s house, then it is believed that death is brought there to their door step and someone will die.

It could be due to superstition and no one wants to start or run an owl sanctuary.

• Angry 1

Hi Lorraine and have heard that mentioned before as it has been a superstition for years and now with the population having better education these beliefs are beginning to go away.

• Thanks 1

I would think that Barn Owls would be protected within the Thai national parks. Appreciate some clarity about this and Alice did you come across this in your research?

• Like 1

Hi Lorraine, there is a group on Facebook called "Thai Biodiversity Survey & Species ID" its a public group with over 6 thousand members. the group appear to keep an eye on various species across Thailand and i would presume the Barn owl would be one of them.

• Like 1

Whilst not being of any help in Andrew's owl sanctuary quest, I can at least maybe add a little owly interest to the topic by telling of my fortunate experience of the Eagle Owl, or the Eurasian Eagle Owl to give it its full name, since it's a rare immigrant to Britain from Europe.

Immediately before coming to Thailand, I lived in a Nidderdale (North Yorkshire) village where it was known that an Eagle Owl, possibly an offspring of the breeding pair at a Ministry of Defence site in that county and mentioned here in this Wiki piece.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurasian_eagle-owl_in_Great_Britain

To be able to stand at the door of the pub, having a smoke and a beer, whilst being deeply hooted at by this single owl, perched on a cottage chimney, just across the lane, every evening for a month or so before leaving, made me feel pretty lucky, given the estimated British contingent of the species is measured only in dozens.

I will never forget that very special sound, having been a bird-lover for all my life.