Who likes Maps?

KaptainRob

I love maps. The older the better.

Here is one of what earth apparently looked like 6,000 years ago (according to some).

(This is the Urbano Monte map made in 1587.)

map.jpg

UFI - apparently Monte was "connected" and met with the first Japanese delegation to travel to Europe. As a result, his map, while not depicting the Japanese islands very accurately, has Japanese place names that other maps of his era didn't.

Edited by kerryd
  • Like 4

Aeronautical and Marine charts are mainly digital nowadays.  This shows routes and waypoints for our region

image.thumb.png.59e81b0a435b1b1d9decef768664aead.png

Zoomed in 

image.thumb.png.0a7a0e7738119feee398cba8a1bae501.png

Source: Sky Vector Flight Planning

• Like 1

Ships always carry paper charts for areas of operation.  Some waters, eg Indonesia, are non-WGS84 compliant which means electronic charts do not match reality.   [Manual compensation can be achieved with complex nav equipment]

GPS is so reliable I've done many night passages around Australia's coast.  The paper one below is a current Aus Hydrographic colour chart yet there are still many blue and white charts with soundings dating back to the late 1700's when surveys were carried out by James Cook and Matthew Flinders, among others.

image.thumb.png.39cc8f5b94176bfce1d7940d6a35ad99.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Ships always carry paper charts for areas of operation.  Some waters, eg Indonesia, are non-WGS84 compliant which means electronic charts do not match reality.   [Manual compensation can be achieved with complex nav equipment]

GPS is so reliable I've done many night passages around Australia's coast.  The paper one below is a current Aus Hydrographic colour chart yet there are still many blue and white charts with soundings dating back to the late 1700's when surveys were carried out by James Cook and Matthew Flinders, among others.

image.thumb.png.39cc8f5b94176bfce1d7940d6a35ad99.png

Mate - brings back memories. Hired a boat and spent 2 weeks travelling to all those islands - best holiday ever. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

First ever recorded world map

1280px-PtolemyWorldMap.jpg

Bit before my time 😛

Roman/Greek adventurers or conquerors sailed (or  rowed) incredible distances.

12 hours ago, BigHewer said:

It’s amazing how many of these relate to mining, energy and tech. Not many traditional “make a better mousetrap”-type manufacturers in there.

I was just about to say... And finance, too. I guess building things has fallen into disfavor globally.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JamesE said:

I was just about to say... And finance, too. I guess building things has fallen into disfavor globally.

Definitely. I actually just forgot to include finance in my list. Dangote #1 in Nigeria. Anyone who watches cable news or CNBC will be bombarded with Dangote commercials. 🤣

As for the “mousetrap makers”, not many. Toyota, Samsung, (arguably) Apple…

14 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Definitely. I actually just forgot to include finance in my list. Dangote #1 in Nigeria. Anyone who watches cable news or CNBC will be bombarded with Dangote commercials. 🤣

The one that surprised me is Walmart in Mexico. (But I guess they don't factor the cartels into the rankings...)

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, JamesE said:

The one that surprised me is Walmart in Mexico. (But I guess they don't factor the cartels into the rankings...)

That surprised me too. I would have thought KidZania or Corona Beer. 

• Like 1

Here’s a map I made myself, and Thailand-related. My wife and I use it to plan our trips, because we like to see new provinces. Green is where we’ve both been, orange just me and light green neither of us.

Which begs the question? Which gems have we missed and where should we go next?

D78ED8EB-6DE6-4E9D-A17D-04032ADF4024.thumb.jpeg.dd3083e9def29e4e5d50a92d7dff7734.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BigHewer said:

Here’s a map I made myself, and Thailand-related. My wife and I use it to plan our trips, because we like to see new provinces. Green is where we’ve both been, orange just me and light green neither of us.

D78ED8EB-6DE6-4E9D-A17D-04032ADF4024.thumb.jpeg.dd3083e9def29e4e5d50a92d7dff7734.jpeg

Looks like neither of you have been to Uthai Thani, and for the full tourist experience Wat Tham Khao Wong in tambon Ban Rai. Not a “hidden gem no one knows about” but beautiful and with few overseas visitors I’m thinking it won’t be crowded. 

Can’t check it out myself as I’m one of those out of the country

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BigHewer said:

Facebook? (replaced Myspace only better)

5 hours ago, BigHewer said:

What a great idea. We have done less than you guys, but we plan to do many more when we return, so a map is a great idea. Plus of course, highlight all the golf courses we have visited 😁

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BigHewer said:

All of them. 
Mae Hong Son in the NW is (or was) worth the trip by itself. It's a scenic road through the mountains and if you do the "loop" (Chiang Mai-Mae Hong Son-Chiang Mai) it's about 1,864 "curves".

However, the road from Mae Hong Son to Mae Sot is quite scenic (and not as "curvy").

In the North-East, in Bueng Kan, there is the "3 Whales Rock" tourist attraction. Ancient Khmer temples in Sakhon Nakon. 
Same for the "North". Kamphaeng Phet, Petchabun, Sukothai all have excellent historical sites.

I did a trip last February to Ubon and Amnat Charoen specifically as they were the only two provinces North of Petchaburi that I hadn't visited yet.
(I did my route planning on Google and visited 23 historical sites in just 3 days.)

Keep hoping that new (Blue Dolphin) ferry is going to do the Songkla-Sattahip route as that would make visiting the Southern provinces much easier. (Rather than ride all the way down there from Pattaya just to turn around and ride all the way back on almost the same route.)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, kerryd said:

Mae Hong Son in the NW is (or was) worth the trip by itself. It's a scenic road through the mountains and if you do the "loop" (Chiang Mai-Mae Hong Son-Chiang Mai) it's about 1,864 "curves".

I concur. 

Pang Mapha (Lodge & caves) is in the very north of MHS and part of the loop.  

• Thanks 1

Shan State - Burma [Myanmar]

294426-Population_Map_Shan_Census_2014_P

From Wikipedia -Shan State, commonly known by its native name Muang Tai, as well as Shanland (Shan: မိူင်းတႆး, pronounced [mɤ́ŋ.táj]; Burmese: ရှမ်းပြည်နယ်, pronounced [ʃáɰ̃ pjìnɛ̀]), is a state of the Republic of the Union of Myanmar. Shan State borders China (Yunnan) to the north, Laos (Louang Namtha and Bokeo Provinces) to the east, and Thailand (Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai and Mae Hong Son Provinces) to the south, and five administrative divisions of Burma (Myanmar) in the west.
The largest of the 14 administrative divisions by land area, Shan State covers 155,800 km2, almost a quarter of the total area of Burma. The state gets its name from Burmese name for the Tai people: "Shan people". The Shan constitute the majority among several ethnic groups that inhabit the area. Shanland is largely rural, with only three cities of significant size: Lashio, Kengtung, and the capital, Taunggyi.[4] Taunggyi is 150.7 km northeast of the nation's capital Naypyitaw.

Tai people from Shan State, carry no official status within Burma and enter Thailand as workers, domestic help or construction mainly, under strict immigration rules.  We know them collectively as 'Tai Yai', regardless of the differences in ethnicity.  They are hard-working honest folk and often discriminated against by greedy Thai's.

2 hours ago, AussieBob said:

What a great idea. We have done less than you guys, but we plan to do many more when we return, so a map is a great idea. Plus of course, highlight all the golf courses we have visited 😁

Now there’s an idea, AussieBob, a “Golf Courses per Province” map or some such thing.

Something tells me Chonburi and Prachuap Khiri Khan would be very dark green on that particular map 😁