Jump to content

News Forum - Strapped for cash, Thai Airways puts 3 more aircraft up for sale


Thaiger
 Share

Recommended Posts

The beleaguered national carrier, Thai Airways International, is to sell 3 more aircraft in a bid to raise some much-needed funds. Also up for grabs is a flight simulator, as the airline continues with its rehabilitation plan and attempts to modernise its fleet. The Bangkok Post reports that the airline is selling 3 of its Airbus A330-300s, all of which are over 12 years old, and the corresponding flight simulator. The Covid-19 crisis and decline in global travel means there is currently limited demand for the wide-bodied A330-300s, of which Thai Airways has 15 in its fleet. The airline has […]

The post Strapped for cash, Thai Airways puts 3 more aircraft up for sale appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Those A330-300s bought when Thaksin was PM, are world renown for an extremely high usage of fuel - they are not cost effective at all (and will destroy the planet!!). Those planes were also renown for costing a lot more than the ticketed prices - and I dont think that extra money went into better seats and wheels/tyres. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

"selling 3 of its Airbus A330-300s, all of which are over 12 years old, and the corresponding flight simulator. The Covid-19 crisis and decline in global travel means there is currently limited demand for the wide-bodied A330-300s,"

And Who will buy 3 × 12 year old planes with no demand 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Can't they take the wings off and weld the windows shut to use them as submarines? Maybe sell them to China 🤭 and Australia seems to want some too 🤣

Maybe use for their space race!

Next idea from the government 'submarine in space' 🤣

Edited by Malc-Thai
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If the architects of the current travel restrictions in Thailand want a national airline, they will reduce the restrictions and start allowing Thai Airlines to operate flights to and from other parts of the world.  I would have loved to fly Thai Airways into my Phuket Sandbox vacation 8 days ago, but that was not an option.  Therefore, Singapore Airlines was happy to take my money to fly LAX-SIN-HKT, and then reverse back to Los Angeles USA.   Or, turn the A330 into freighters.  Every other airline in the world almost has had major up-tic in revenue via cargo/freight.  Airplanes, tourism, whatever, those hurt the most seem to have the least say in their fate. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Those A330-300s bought when Thaksin was PM, are world renown for an extremely high usage of fuel - they are not cost effective at all (and will destroy the planet!!). Those planes were also renown for costing a lot more than the ticketed prices - and I dont think that extra money went into better seats and wheels/tyres. 

I think you're referring to the A340's there Bob.

 

18 minutes ago, KT50 said:

Or, turn the A330 into freighters.  Every other airline in the world almost has had major up-tic in revenue via cargo/freight.  Airplanes, tourism, whatever, those hurt the most seem to have the least say in their fate. 

Good idea but a very expensive conversion to an already aged airframe.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Griff1315 said:

Cannot trust the corrupt people who run this airline with the price of a ticket let alone the price of an airliner. 

Previously owned by an old lady though... What can go wrong?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Even at the best of times not many potential buyers for what they have for sale.

The 747's are pretty high time/cycle air frames.

Not worth the cost of converting to freighters.

The a340 fleet is simply a bad aircraft and nobody wants them.you can not make any money with them.

The entire thai fleet that they own and have up for sale is probably best broken for parts.

Anything modern/decent/worth having is leased and not owned by tg.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It was the A345's that were the real gas hogs and I am pretty sure TG never found a buyer for them, I think they are all parked at DMK rotting away. Since it looks like the A380 us dead now I wonder if Thai will keep any of them. I can't see much international travel coming back for several years, or ever if the globalists make it illegal under some climate mandates.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

I think you're referring to the A340's there Bob.

Good idea but a very expensive conversion to an already aged airframe.

Got me Rob - yes I meant the A340s - what a flying dog they are.  Some say that there was a lot of 'incentives' provided by Airbus to anyone that bought them - and Thailand bought a lot. 

I sincerely hope that one day there is a free and democratic Government in Thailand, of the People and for the People. One of the many tasks they will undertake is investigations of all previous 'deals' where corruption is suspected. The seizing of all family and business assets of the corrupt, both in Thailand and Overseas, will provide thousands of billions of $US towards the Government funding of desperately needed infrastructure and services rebuilding. What I cannot accept about Thailand is that they have made no attempt to punish the Red Bull Family, when it is clear that they assisted him to escape overseas, and are obviously still assisting him. Only when some of the wealthy corrupt are caught and punished can Thailand move forward. Right now they are basically 'immune' - what was done when Thai Airways bought A340s when no one else wanted them, and what happened with the Red Bull fiasco, hang heavy over the freedoms and rights of the People of Thailand. 

Gee - I went on a bit there didnt I Free Embarrassed EMOJI Stock Photo - FreeImages.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, BraveNewFahrenheit said:

It was the A345's that were the real gas hogs and I am pretty sure TG never found a buyer for them, I think they are all parked at DMK rotting away. Since it looks like the A380 us dead now I wonder if Thai will keep any of them. I can't see much international travel coming back for several years, or ever if the globalists make it illegal under some climate mandates.

They most certainly are.

one senior aviation executive described them as a flying tank of fuel with a few people inside it.

am amazed they got built and speechless that anybody bought them.

You can not even cover the cost of fuel if you fly the thing's.madness even by tg standards.

I had the dubious privelage of using the short lived singapore/eastern seaboard usa non stop service a few times on a 340.i would not recommend it to anybody.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The one thing I don't understand about this is why THAI buys aircraft to begin with. Particularly since the whole "cash strapped" thing has been going on for a while. It seems to me that maybe leasing would have made more sense over the past decade or so. But maybe leases don't come with as big a stack of brown envelopes?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, JamesE said:

The one thing I don't understand about this is why THAI buys aircraft to begin with. Particularly since the whole "cash strapped" thing has been going on for a while. It seems to me that maybe leasing would have made more sense over the past decade or so. But maybe leases don't come with as big a stack of brown envelopes?

There is a lot of 'why' things about companies in Thailand that can only be answered by saying that they do not operate under the same legal and fiduciary rules and regulations that western companies do. It is an accepted and common practice all across Asia that payments and gifts are made to 'senior people' to do business. Some have become less 'corrupt' in the global economy, while others (Thailand) have become more corrupt.  It has been that way in Asia for a long long time. 

Story:  Years ago the number one selling scotch in Japan was Johnny Walker Black Label. Some idiotic progressive new Marketing Manager, fresh out of Harvard or whatever, arrived and did the numbers and decided to lower the price by x% because that would increase sales by Y% and therefore profits would increase by Z%.  As always, the Japanese staff members did not argue as he would 'lose face'.  Sales crashed dramatically - and eventually the Manager was 'recalled'.  The CEO in USA asked the Japanese Management - Why?  They explained that because Johnny Walker Black Label was the most expensive scotch and everyone knew it, people bought it as a 'gift' and buying the most expensive scotch was deemed to be a very high token of respect. When the price dropped and it was no longer the most expensive, people stopped buying it because to buy a 'cheaper' gift was considered an insult.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, HiuMak said:

I love Thai airways. One of the best second tier airlines which you don't pay crazy prices for. Food is good and service is impeccable. I hope it stays afloat. Looking forward to fly with Thai again some day.

I have to disagree - because it depends on the route and airline used on that route. We flew from one city in Australia direct to Bangkok and the flight was good - great new plane and a top level crew. We flew direct from another city and the flight was terrible - old crappy plane and disorganised flight crew.  As in all airlines, the best pilots and crews get to work on the best planes.  The plane is important - same as the airline. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

I have to disagree - because it depends on the route and airline used on that route. We flew from one city in Australia direct to Bangkok and the flight was good - great new plane and a top level crew. We flew direct from another city and the flight was terrible - old crappy plane and disorganised flight crew.  As in all airlines, the best pilots and crews get to work on the best planes.  The plane is important - same as the airline. 

I guess the route do determines the plane type and age. It is with most airlines. In the area of Flight service i cannot complain much as it is generally good with Thai airways and I love Thai food they serve on board. 

I don't think paying Qantas prices will get you any better flight experience you get with Thai.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, HiuMak said:

I guess the route do determines the plane type and age. It is with most airlines. In the area of Flight service i cannot complain much as it is generally good with Thai airways and I love Thai food they serve on board. 

I don't think paying Qantas prices will get you any better flight experience you get with Thai.

Agree 100% about the Thai food - so much better than available on other airlines.  But, if something goes wrong during the flight, you will definitely have a 'better flight experience' with Qantas.

I have found Qantas overall is much better than Thai - except for the food.  We have flown Aust to Thailand and back many times, and we have used most of the airlines (even AirAsia - never again). Qantas overall is the best - usually the better planes, usually the better crews (but not as lovely), and always the best pilots. The other 'biggies' to check are the seats and the onboard entertainment system.  AirAsia has the smallest seats and bugger all 'entertainment'. Qantas usually has the biggest seats. Singapore has the best entertainment system.

But as I said before, the main thing is to check which airplane is scheduled for that route with each airline (sometimes will change, but usually not). Then check the pricing. Then decide based on those 3 issues first, and the other 2 issues second.  Price is not the number one - nor is any stopover length - unless way too high price, or way too long a stopover.  I can deal with bad food, better than I can deal with a very uncomfortable small seat designed for an Asian person and no entertainment system. 

The Thai wife doesnt really care about the 'comforts' - she sleeps most of the flight, doesn't eat much, never uses the entertainment system (has IPad), and is comfortable sitting or sleeping on a rock.  Overall, I have found that none are perfect every time - so I now stick with Qantas usually.  Next time, I will also put that Taiwan airline (EvaAir) into the list of options.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By posting on Thaiger Talk you agree to the Terms of Use