Chiang Mai opening: Tourists to begin arriving 1st October

Bob20

Chiang Mai joins Bangkok, Chonburi, Petchburi and Prachuap Khiri Khan in planning to open the province to tourism as of the 1st October, expanding on the Phuket Sandbox campaign.

Charming Chiang Mai is the name of the campaign and means that tourists who have been in the Phuket sandbox for seven days can come to Chiang Mai.

Tourism will be in the form of a sealed route, allowing for tourism in certain areas, managed by tour companies.

Blue zones will be open for visits, as long as they go with approved licensed operators. Anyone deviating from set routes may face penalties.

For Chiang Mai, there are initially 13 communities where tourists can visit and there is a vaccination drive underway in all areas with between 50-60% of the population in those areas vaccinated while the aim is to reach 100% by 1st October.

Areas to be opened up for tourism include Chiang Mai Night Safari, where over 300 staff have been vaccinated.

Communities as well as staff in areas surrounding the Royal Flora, Botanical Gardens, Mae Sa Waterfall, Pong Yang, etc. will also be a priority for vaccination.

The second phase will see further flung areas such as Doi Inthanon, Doi Tao and Hang Dong’s Baan Pong vaccinated with Blue Zones emerging and enlarging as more vaccinations become available. Mae Khampong, for instance, has had 70% of its population vaccinated, and other areas are soon to reach and exceed similar goals.

https://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/citynews/local/tourists-to-begin-arriving-1st-october/

Source: Chiang Mai City Life

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Tourism will be in the form of a sealed route, allowing for tourism in certain areas, managed by tour companies.

Gag me with a spoon.  The only option is that set up by tour companies?

Count me out.  My holiday is just that, my holiday.  I don't need some guide or driver telling me when and where and what I can do on MY holiday.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MrStretch said:

Count me out.  My holiday is just that, my holiday.  I don't need some guide or driver telling me when and where and what I can do on MY holiday.

I absolutely agree. And I can not speak for anyone else, but I hope everyone feels that way, as the vaccination rate is still low here, will never reach 100% in certain areas as they claim in the report and I prefer that everyone stays put for now (local and foreign)!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, MrStretch said:

My holiday is just that, my holiday.  I don't need some guide or driver telling me when and where and what I can do on MY holiday.

Oh A Chinese Tour Holiday …. All they need is the person out in front with a stick with a Thai dyed flag …. Follow me!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrStretch said:

This failed miserably in Samui. Why would they think it will work in CM? One definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

• Like 1

May these people who have no brains who have no right to take people's lives in their hands just because they think they are something special rot in he!! with their families.

They got the color blue correct as that is what corpses look like after cooling down.

No way in heck can this be anything but a huge failure, and the damage and monetary costs of purposely subjecting people to get infected will be huge on the people and communities who fall..

4 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

May these people who have no brains who have no right to take people's lives in their hands just because they think they are something special rot in he!! with their families.

They got the color blue correct as that is what corpses look like after cooling down.

No way in heck can this be anything but a huge failure, and the damage and monetary costs of purposely subjecting people to get infected will be huge on the people and communities who fall..

You think Trump has some wall for sale to put around CM?

Wait so what does this mean for people that live in Chiang Mai and is coming back from abroad and is a foreigner. Can I go back straight to my house or do I need to spend time in some kind of hotel for 7 or 14 days before that? 

3 hours ago, Alexander said:

Wait so what does this mean for people that live in Chiang Mai and is coming back from abroad and is a foreigner. Can I go back straight to my house or do I need to spend time in some kind of hotel for 7 or 14 days before that? 

You have to go through a sandbox. You can not return straight to CM from abroad...

26 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

You have to go through a sandbox. You can not return straight to CM from abroad...

Will that also be true if Chiang Mai becomes a sandbox on the 1st of october? or do i still need to stay at a approved hotel in Chiang Mai before going to my house?

Edited by Alexander

Just now, Alexander said:

Will that also be true if Chiang Mai becomes a sandbox on the 1st of october?

Yes, you can only come here after completing quarantine and tests elsewhere, like Phuket...

2 minutes ago, Alexander said:

Will that also be true if Chiang Mai becomes a sandbox on the 1st of october?

P.S.

And for now you would only be allowed to come on arranged tours within certain areas, so I don't even know whether you could go to your home here. Maybe another member can help out...?

Well after all the failed efforts to entice Tourism back to Thailand they are still not listening, they are not taking advice from other Country's who have opened up to Tourism. So sadly the normal Thai who is desperate for a wage to feed his or her family blame your government they are the one's who have had full protection from Covid, robbed and gambled money  meant for the disabled Thai's,  and carried on lining there pockets while khun Somchai is looking for his next bowl of Rice, well done to the Thai Goverment.

4 hours ago, Bob20 said:

You think Trump has some wall for sale to put around CM?

I think they would have the Chinese build it first.  But if Trump did offer, he would say he would build the Greatest of the Great Walls and make CM Great again. 

40 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

I think they would have the Chinese build it first.

They can have a Sandbox in Chiang Mai on the 1st October ….. just need to fortify the old city. It has everything the tourists need  …. Accommodation, Restaurants, tourist attractions and some water to swim in (yes some of those hotels have swimming pools).

Why, they have the moat already there! It’s not the Chinese that is the problem, or Trump, to rebuild the wall around the old city …… it’s the labour force that is nonexistent! Maybe bring the army in, some cheap labour, as they have nothing better than stopping the cheap labour coming across the border. Maybe the navy can supply the labour, as no submarine yet. Just wall the tourists in, it will be like Berlin all over again!

Come on Chiang Mai, You can do it!

4 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

They can have a Sandbox in Chiang Mai on the 1st October ….. just need to fortify the old city. It has everything the tourists need  …. Accommodation, Restaurants, tourist attractions and some water to swim in (yes some of those hotels have swimming pools).

Why, they have the moat already there! It’s not the Chinese that is the problem, or Trump, to rebuild the wall around the old city …… it’s the labour force that is nonexistent! Maybe bring the army in, some cheap labour, as they have nothing better than stopping the cheap labour coming across the border. Maybe the navy can supply the labour, as no submarine yet. Just wall the tourists in, it will be like Berlin all over again!

Come on Chiang Mai, You can do it!

They actually could but not the entire old city part, only maybe a 1/4 or  maybe 1/2 strategically blocked off with all of the best parts possible needed. But actually that would still be boring as could be after 2 -3 days tops being locked in unless some sort of fun nightlife was open too. Then you just stay drunk 24 hours and if single have playtime options . 

2 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

They actually could but not the entire old city part, only maybe a 1/4 or  maybe 1/2 strategically blocked off with all of the best parts possible needed. But actually that would still be boring as could be after 2 -3 days tops being locked in unless some sort of fun nightlife was open too. Then you just stay drunk 24 hours and if single have playtime options . 

And are you saying it will not be more entertaining and enjoyable than the Phuket Sandbox?

As it's an organised tour, why not get an open top London bus?

-Pickup 10am from your prison hotel

-Drive around the old city

-Off to Mae Taeng, see a big temple

-Lunch box on the bus

-Afternoon, up Doing Suthep

-Home in time to order Grab and watch tv

Then next day off to the next exciting tourist corridor!

56 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

And are you saying it will not be more entertaining and enjoyable than the Phuket Sandbox?

If they keep it as it is no as the old city has nothing nature to see except rats. At least in Phuket you had the beach, but then again, no thank you as I do not like being tracked, and no thank you as I like night life. 

Speaking of nightlife, once again my 2 a-hole neighbors are at it again. One karaoke inside and the other outside drinking, and both with friends. 12am is the shut the f up hour if not stopped by then. Lovely thai people in lovely Thailand n places that have money. In the USA they would be in jail already. 

29 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

-Lunch box on the bus

Don’t give them any ideas. But it will still bore the pants off of them throwing the fun in that you are suggesting. Yoo hoo. 

2 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

"OK tourists, we drop you here. Very thing closed. See you five hours." 

After 5 hours in a coffee shop, there better be a toilet in the bus!

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

-Lunch box on the bus

What it is not is a magical mystery tour. Quite the opposite. Magical mystery of bore. 

• Like 1

Just now, HolyCowCm said:

What it is not is a magical mystery tour. Quite the opposite. Magical mystery of bore. 

Well, I picked the most exciting things that are open...🤭

3 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

After 5 hours in a coffee shop, there better be a toilet in the bus!

No no no. Foreigner man cannot pee on side of road. Only Thai man allowed.