Buying A Car- Price differences for Farang?

GMoney2312

I am getting a new car soon. Going to pay cash. My Thai bother In Law suggested he and his wife go in first to land a price, and my wife and I can go back the next day with the offer on paper (If they actually do that).

We all know that at tourist locations like museums and Temples, and often simple street markets, the Farang gets a price hike.

Has anyone experienced this type of price gouging at car showrooms? 

My wife says this but I never get that thinking 

She even complains she gets screwed having a Western last name 5555

I will pay what I am willing to pay for a car or house 

If they don't want to sell it to me at my price, I walk 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, GMoney2312 said:

I am getting a new car soon. Going to pay cash. My Thai bother In Law suggested he and his wife go in first to land a price, and my wife and I can go back the next day with the offer on paper (If they actually do that).

We all know that at tourist locations like museums and Temples, and often simple street markets, the Farang gets a price hike.

Doubt that seldom happens in a new car dealership. It is more than likely I suspect that your BIL is attempting to get a a little back hander from the dealer rather than the dealer giving you that extra discount.

1 hour ago, GMoney2312 said:

Nope...no bargaining, either, like back home.

The price is the price...options extra, but no haggling.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MrStretch said:

Ive bought 3 brand new cars, it's always been a fixed price what you might find is different dealers might give you more extra's give that a try

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, GMoney2312 said:

The walk out is also a great buying tactic.

I'm not good at haggling

Well just hate it, really.....

So I always just say what I am willing to pay and if they want to sell it at that price, good.

If not I'm fine walking away 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

So I always just say what I am willing to pay and if they want to sell it at that price, good.

If not I'm fine walking away 

Good stuff, thanks

42 minutes ago, GMoney2312 said:

The walk out is also a great buying tactic.

Think you will be walking then !

I bought a new Honda and yes they threw in a few thousand Baht's worth of options but the main dealer wouldn't haggle. I did manage to get a thousand baht off on a second hand motorcycle but again I was told the prices are fixed and it's added options not price reduction usually. Let us know how you get on.

• Like 1

I don't think there is any difference in the deal you can achieve based on whether you are Thai or foreign.

You can get good deals on less popular brands or models.  As an example I believe you can get a good chunk off retail on an MG but I would not touch one with a barge pole and re-sale will be poor.  Toyota has easily the strongest re-sale value here if that is a consideration for you.

I am not sure what, if any, impact chip shortages and supply chain disruption have had in Thailand.  My guess is probably less than in Europe or the US as the models sold here tend to be light on tech.  In my view less tech toys is a good thing.

The used car market is a different game and negotiating skills are to the fore.  But again I don't think whether you are Thai or foreign makes a difference.  

• Like 1

New Car sales in Thailand are controlled by a few extremely wealthy families. The prices are set to the dealers and that is it - unlike in the west, dealers cannot negotiate down their own margins on the deal. The only thing, as already advised, is that the new car Thai dealers can through in extras - but the base new car price is set already.  What you should do is check around and decide exactly what new car you want, and then find out the current listed prices from their head office.  Sometimes, the prices are lowered by head office, but the Local dealer/salesperson is still reading off the old price lists - sometimes. Knowing the base price beforehand gives you some ability to get the best possible deal.

I know used car sales are always a risk in Thailand, but if you have the ability to deal with all the pitfalls (a Thai partner/friend is essential), then that is where you can get a bargain.  They are somewhat 'controlled' like new car dealers, but they can negotiate.  There are a lot of people in Thailand struggling to make payments on newish cars - the price they get is lower than normal - but the used dealer will try and sell it at the 'market' price, but they can negotiate down.  Again - best to know exactly what car you want (and the listed market price) before going to see any vehicle. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lowseasonlover said:

If you are not bothered about a brand new car, there has got to be some good deals out there right now,

There are.  I carved 50K (27%) off the asking price of a used car about six months ago.  The car had a terrible engine management fault that they could not solve and the car had been stuck on their lot for months.  I think they were just glad to be rid of it.

It was a bit of a gamble on my part but it is a simple car.  I diagnosed the two faults in less than an hour and the fix cost about 300 Baht.  It helped that I have 45 years experience working on cars.

For those interested it was a sticking idle air control valve (IACV) and a split vacuum hose to the inlet manifold.  The idle was all over the place.  Some brake cleaner from Mr DIY to unstick the IACV, a couple of OEM gaskets and a bit of vacuum hose from Mr Honda did the trick.  Idles perfectly now. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, MrStretch said:

Well, my experience is quite different.

I went to 3 official dealerships in CM recently (as I never just get one quote for these things) and each wanted to discount, but none wanted to put it in writing.

As I had to sign a contract in Thai, I wanted a copy to read first, which none of them would provide either.

I thought it was quite strange, but they all gave the same explanation. The manufacturer doesn't want them to discount the cars so they will face problems if they put it on paper and let the customer take it home. Or use it to get a better deal elsewhere with the written evidence.

So, I went to the fourth dealer. They did everything the previous three would do, and then some! Had a salesman that speaks English and understood that I was hesitant to buy a new car on a foreign language contract on a promise without written offer.

So we agreed in writing (English) that there would be no significant downpayment (10k) and with the total price and what was included, but without individual item specification, plus the fact that I didn't want a stock car from another dealer but brand-new straight from the factory.

Car arrived three weeks later, had the production sticker and paperwork of being produced 3 days earlier and had everything we agreed and you can't fault the dealer on anything. It even had a few extras that I hadn't asked for. Had a couple of questions since and they jump to help you.

So, a bit of negotiating and looking around will get you and a discount and free extras in the same region of 6-8% as in Europe.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bob20 said:

Well, my experience is quite different.

I went to 3 official dealerships in CM recently (as I never just get one quote for these things) and each wanted to discount, but none wanted to put it in writing.

As I had to sign a contract in Thai, I wanted a copy to read first, which none of them would provide either.

I thought it was quite strange, but they all gave the same explanation. The manufacturer doesn't want them to discount the cars so they will face problems if they put it on paper and let the customer take it home. Or use it to get a better deal elsewhere with the written evidence.

So, I went to the fourth dealer. They did everything the previous three would do, and then some! Had a salesman that speaks English and understood that I was hesitant to buy a new car on a foreign language contract on a promise without written offer.

So we agreed in writing (English) that there would be no significant downpayment (10k) and with the total price and what was included, but without individual item specification, plus the fact that I didn't want a stock car from another dealer but brand-new straight from the factory.

Car arrived three weeks later, had the production sticker and paperwork of being produced 3 days earlier and had everything we agreed and you can't fault the dealer on anything. It even had a few extras that I hadn't asked for. Had a couple of questions since and they jump to help you.

So, a bit of negotiating and looking around will get you and a discount and free extras in the same region of 6-8% as in Europe.

Just curious what brand was the car?

• 1 month later...

I would hesitate to tell the dealer you will be paying cash. It will most likely eliminate any chance of obtaining a discount.

Most of the profit in the sale of a new vehicle comes from the financing.

Make it clear you will only discuss financing once you have agreed to a price.

• Like 2