I want to open a Thai bank account while in USA.

RFD

I live in USA and my fiancé lives in Phitsanulok. We have been separated by covid 19 for past 20 months. She has a savings account in Thailand that i  contribute to every month. I want to open a bank account here with a Thai bank. I can use finance's address and want her on the account jointly. What do i need to do to open account. My plan is to live in Thailand 2 to 4 month's a year and then live and work in USA the balance of the time. Also I am a business owner in USA and sometimes need translation assistance from my finance and want to pay her from my business, can I do that and what does she need to do as far as receiving the money?

Thanks you

Ronald Delo

• Like 2

First, Thailand has no provisions for foreigners (or anybody?) to open an account online. You have to go to a bank branch and do it F2F. Second, you'll have to look into the regulations, both corporate and IRS, for hiring foreigners remotely. At the very least, as an employee your fiancé will need an SSN for withholding taxes and need to file a 1040 of some kind. Alternatively, she could set up a Thai company and bill your company, but that sounds like a complete can of worms. There may be other ways but none spring to mind right now. You probably want to get a pro involved on one end or the other to figure out your best course of action.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, RFD said:

I want to open a bank account here with a Thai bank. I can use finance's address and want her on the account jointly.

You can only open a bank account in person, as @JamesE stated.
Certified copies of original Passport and sample signatures required in the presence of the bank clerk.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Faz said:

Certified copies of original Passport and sample signatures required in the presence of the bank clerk.

A lot of stuff you need to be physically present in the bank to do: get your renewed debit or credit card (they don’t automatically mail it to you), get your annual banking statements for FBAR, change atm limits

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Faz said:

You should also be aware that when you intend to use that bank-account to meet the extension requirements for a Non Imm O (or O-A) Visa, that it needs to be a PERSONAL Thai bank-account .

A joint account is not allowed for that purpose, although some offices do allow it if the amount on that joint account is DOUBLE from what the requirements prescribe (which would be the double of the +800.000 THB for a Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement - since you are not married yet with your Thai fiance, that would be applicable for you).

6 minutes ago, BlueSphinx said:

You should also be aware that when you intend to use that bank-account to meet the extension requirements for a Non Imm O (or O-A) Visa, that it needs to be a PERSONAL Thai bank-account .

You nailed it- My wife and I are getting accounts this week. I will have two accounts in my name- one just for spending and one Fixed Deposit account that shows I have the money needed for Visa requirements.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, GMoney2312 said:

You nailed it- My wife and I are getting accounts this week. I will have two accounts in my name- one just for spending and one Fixed Deposit account that shows I have the money needed for Visa requirements.

Yes, having two separate PERSONAL accounts is the best way to go about when you need to provide evidence of meeting the financial requirements for Immigration purposes.

> A regular Savings account - with a debit card - to be used for your daily expenses, and

> A Fixed Deposit account to be used for providing evidence to Immigration that you meet the financial requirements when applying for the Non Imm O Visa or the 1-year extensions of such Visa.

By keeping the required amount on the Fixed Deposit account, you cannot accidently slip under the required tresshold figure for the funds required by Immigration.  The AMOUNTS that need to be kept there (and which you should never go under) are different for a Visa/Extension application for reason of marriage, for reason of Thai dependent children or for reason of retirement.  And also the PERIOD that amount needs to be seasoned on your Thai bank-account differs, based on the above. 

Be aware that when using the Funds-in-Bank method, and applying in-country for the Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement (or first time for your 1-year extension of stay for such Visa acquired abroad), that Immigration also requires you to provide evidence that the funds originated from abroad (unless your pass-book provides evidence that those funds have already long time been seasoned on your account).

Advice - do not put your finances under the control of a Thai person. It does not matter how strong the relationship is - it is bad practice and has lots of potential downsides in the future. Thai family members can make other family members and relatives do things, that we in the west have no idea or understanding of.  Likewise, the Thai legal system is horrendous towards foreigners - you have no rights as you know them now.  Having said that - next time you are in Thailand go into a bank with cash and your passport etc. and with your Thai fiance with all her ID and documents, and ask to open a bank account in your name. Some will say yes, and some will say no - keep trying until you find one.

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

solid advice from @AussieBob;

Some more "cents" from my pocket, Sole Proprietorship (กิจการเจ้าของคนเดียว) so not a Co. LTD or LLP can save you a buck or two in regards to the misses as she's Thai anyways and she can then invoice you for her services. If she send invoices for her services as a fiance you can actually gain some tax benefits too. So instead of giving money make it a company thing. Nothing romantically but nothing in life is free. no money, no honey.

For yourself open a account at a bank of your color, my personal favorite color is Yellow (Krungsi) and go without the misses, don't show any of her details. Don't even name her. You open a account for you not for her.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Shark said:

solid advice from @AussieBob;

Some more "cents" from my pocket, Sole Proprietorship (กิจการเจ้าของคนเดียว) so not a Co. LTD or LLP can save you a buck or two in regards to the misses as she's Thai anyways and she can then invoice you for her services. If she send invoices for her services as a fiance you can actually gain some tax benefits too. So instead of giving money make it a company thing. Nothing romantically but nothing in life is free. no money, no honey.

For yourself open a account at a bank of your color, my personal favorite color is Yellow (Krungsi) and go without the misses, don't show any of her details. Don't even name her. You open a account for you not for her.

Thanks @Shark  And that advice about keeping your bank account very separate from the wife is absolutely true.  As an older somewhat wiser bloke I have learned and seen what goes wrong many years later even in what starts out as the best of relationships.  But the big thing I have learned is that women plan and plot carefully when things 'go wrong' and they only take action when they are ready. Whereas men blow up suddenly and storm out leaving everything behind and going on a bender for days/weeks (which is often what she planned for). By all means let the beetch have the gear - but take the car (only if it is in your name) and your laptop and transfer all the money into 'that' account. Then decide if it is really really bad - if so then leave the country.  If it is just maybe a blow up - then go on a bender.  Frankly - I have offshore arrangements that means I will never bring a huge amount of money into Thailand - and if things ever did go pear shaped I would transfer as much money as I can out of the country and spend the rest on the way out - and never say you are leaving the country (but have that plan in place).  If she knows you are leaving she can lodge any sort of false claim with the police and you will be arrested at the airport and held pending an enquiry - meanwhile all your assets and money will be stripped away before you will be allowed to leave. That might not happen - but it has happened.  Sorry to be so negative - but there are some 'not so good' Thais girls out there - the majority are good, but some and their family are not, and it can be very hard to tell for an Expat. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I'm married with child in Thailand and they didn't alow me to open an account without getting proof of address in Thailand from immigration. 

I just gave up because I'm like you I don't live in Thailand most of the year. 

• Like 1

My wife is Thai and has a SS card and green card. She also has a Korsikorn and Bangkok bank account. From what I was told from both banks and our lawyer is to register our marriage in the local amphoer office ( which should be no problem with our credentials) and prior to coming back to Thailand apply/ receive the 90 visa for me and open the account or join her account in person in Thailand. No foreigner can open an account outside of Thailand...my wife couldn't even do it in the Manhattan NYC branch... she had to wait until she got to Bangkok. Hope this was helpful but I suggest you talk to a Bank in Thailand or get legal advise so as to avoid any misunderstandings and difficulties!

• Like 1

On 11/6/2021 at 7:02 PM, MTa449 said:

My wife is Thai and has a SS card and green card. She also has a Korsikorn and Bangkok bank account. From what I was told from both banks and our lawyer is to register our marriage in the local amphoer office ( which should be no problem with our credentials) and prior to coming back to Thailand apply/ receive the 90 visa for me and open the account or join her account in person in Thailand. No foreigner can open an account outside of Thailand...my wife couldn't even do it in the Manhattan NYC branch... she had to wait until she got to Bangkok. Hope this was helpful but I suggest you talk to a Bank in Thailand or get legal advise so as to avoid any misunderstandings and difficulties!

1. There is a legal process to register an overseas marriage at an Amphoe. It starts in the USA.

2. Immigration will only accept a Thai bank account in your sole name if you want to extend your stay beyond 90 days.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/20/2021 at 10:51 PM, RFD said:

I live in USA and my fiancé lives in Phitsanulok. We have been separated by covid 19 for past 20 months

BS , foreigners have been coming back to Thailand since November 2020 that I know of.

Get a Thailand pass, and set up your banking when you get here

PLUS, there is no such thing as a "fiance" in Thailand. Either married and registered in an Amphoe or not.

Living in Thailand 2-4 months a year is not a marriage of commitment IMO

Peace and Love

Remember the words of Bryan Flowers, "if you are not cheating on her, she is cheating on you".

Love the one your with, Steven Stills said that .  MGTOW

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, ExpatPattaya said:

Living in Thailand 2-4 months a year is not a marriage of commitment IMO

I have rented cars for longer than that..............😉

• Haha 1
  • Cool 1

47 minutes ago, ExpatPattaya said:

Love the one your with, Steven Stills said that . 

and my fourteen year old girlfriend at the time this album was new was quick to tell me she did not believe this philosophy and if i tried to "love the one i am with" and if it was not her  she would be very upset.  

anyway my entire house in Thailand and the way i live is to deflect all of this.

i actually have decoy bank accounts and a decoy house and i am not even married. the girls all look so disappointed when they see it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...
On 9/21/2021 at 1:51 AM, RFD said:

I live in USA and my fiancé lives in Phitsanulok. We have been separated by covid 19 for past 20 months. She has a savings account in Thailand that i  contribute to every month. I want to open a bank account here with a Thai bank. I can use finance's address and want her on the account jointly. What do i need to do to open account. My plan is to live in Thailand 2 to 4 month's a year and then live and work in USA the balance of the time. Also I am a business owner in USA and sometimes need translation assistance from my finance and want to pay her from my business, can I do that and what does she need to do as far as receiving the money?

Thanks you

Ronald Delo

Bangkok bank has office in New York and 13other countries 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I did not see this information,  so another point to make regarding banking in Thailand. 

When my Thai wife and I moved back to the United States in 2019, I kept my Thai bank account so it was simply to transfer money to my Thai account it and then transfer money to help support my father-in-law and stepdaughter. This worked great until my Thai phone and SIM card were damaged. 

Without the phone,  I could not do any bank transactions to my family without an OTP (one time password).  My sister in law tried to get a new sim card for me at True, but just as with banking in Thailand,  everything is face to face.  She had copies of my passport,  etc. No dice.

Several attempts with phone support at Krungthai Bank, my wife doing all the talking in Thai was not going to change the rules. No OTP, no transactions. I finally gave up and just send money directly to my Thai family via Transferwise. 

As many have already said, banking in Thailand is very different from here in the USA. 

Anyway,  I know your question is from 2021, but maybe this will be useful information for someone.

Good luck.

Jack

I tried to do that several years ago.  No luck.  All the banks required that I was there personally, and had a long term visa.   I finally was able to open an account at Bangkok Bank without the long term visa but I had to buy an "insurance policy" with a premium as part of the account opening. 

• Like 2

I want to open a Thai bank account while in USA.

I don't think it's possible to open a bank account in any country without showing up personally?

18 minutes ago, SkyDogJack said:

You can apply online for a checking account if you’re 18 years or older and a legal U.S. resident.

Hi SDJ, My apologies, should have read/stated "any foreign country".

Edited by Thaidup

52 minutes ago, Thaidup said:

Hi SDJ, My apologies, should have read/stated "any foreign country".

Thaidup, I should have figured that myself.  I'm asleep at the keyboard here. 🤔🤭

• Like 1

Easy to open an account with Bangkok Bank.

Other banks in Thailand is extremely hard is your don't have a job.

They wouldn't let me in the front door, they came out into the shopping centre to interview me and ask questions. First question...how much money do you have lol

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ScottJamesinThailand said:

Easy to open an account with Bangkok Bank.

Other banks in Thailand is extremely hard is your don't have a job.

They wouldn't let me in the front door, they came out into the shopping centre to interview me and ask questions. First question...how much money do you have lol

I agree ScottjamesinThailand. Of course a lot depends on if doing it yourself or hiring an "agent".  When I opened my Thai account at Krungthai in 2018, I simply paid the agent his fee, we walked in, I sat down and waited for 20 minutes and was called up to sign some papers.  Walked out with a brand new  savings account and debit card.  Things have changed a lot since 2018.  Lots of new regulations and rules, especially for expats.  Just have to follow the program as the Thai banks and government decides. 

I have friends that have been living in Bangkok for 20 years.  They only bank with the Bank of Thailand and keep all except the money necessary to satisfy Thai immigration and living expenses in banks in the USA and Singapore. 

Everyone has a different experience in Thailand.  It is better to try and laugh off the ruless and just consider it "business as usual".  Ironically, I tried to close my Thai bank account from here in the USA.  No dice.  If I want to close it, I have to come in person.  Since I lost remote access to my account because of the OTP issue, the money I have in the account, with no activity, will incur a 50 baht a month fee until a zero balance, then another 12 months and it will be automatically closed.  That will be in 2023.  You have laugh. 🤭

Edited by SkyDogJack
Grammar
  • Like 1