News Forum - Cuts to import duty on alcohol, cigars, part of plan to entice wealthy foreigners

Thaiger

No question they are increasingly feeling desperation. 

Wine taxes should be lowered by more that that, to around 70 to 80%. 

Let's see if there are any adults in the room, and if they have courage to make a sacrifice. 

8 minutes ago, dmacarelli said:

Let's see if there are any adults in the room, and if they have courage to make a sacrifice. 

let me reply in my best thai: CANNNOOOOTTTT

• Like 1

Anyone ever see any Bulleit Rye in the stores?

FG's

All text and posted content, must align to the topic and/or the first post under that topic. Post must be accompanied by a personal comment & link (URL) to any source for verification.

Edited by Faz
Image without link removed.

This is funny news because in Europe we are going to double taxes on alcohol to reduce consumption. 

It is a health measure and the EU estimated that a lot of cancer will be prevented.

The rich are rich and do not look at the expense to please themselves.

Edited by vvdb.fr

OK I give in!

I'll do my bit, I'll drink the odd case of Claret or two every week, if it helps, I  promise. 

I'll even break the seal on a good Brandy and I'll start smoking Romeo & Juliet cigars again.

I promise!!

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, vvdb.fr said:

This is funny news because in Europe we are going to double taxes on alcohol to reduce consumption. 

It is a health measure and the EU estimated that a lot of cancer will be prevented.

The rich are rich and do not look to addiction for pleasure.

An Army of drug addled, alcoholic rock stars beg to differ.

1 minute ago, vvdb.fr said:

The rich are rich and do not look to addiction for pleasure.

Maybe they hope the alcohol neutralises the virus inside, as it does outside with the handgel?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Bob20 said:

Yes, lower the price of alcohol and tobacco for the rich. They're the ones not able to pay the extra few baht 🤣

Exactly my thinking. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Lowseasonlover said:

How about 50% discount on all beers now, that'll bring the tourist in 

I believe they are already doing that, but only in bars that are closed at the moment.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Thaiger said:

...The government has devised a new 10-year visa for this purpose, which covers not just the individual, but their spouse and children too. Holders would pay the same rate of income tax as Thais and would be entitled to own property and land too...

Somehow, I don't think the "own land" part means what I think it should mean. 

The definition of ‘wealthy foreigner’ is never defined but those who can keep the required 800,000 baht in their Thai bank account for 6 months of each year in order to qualify for the humble annual retirement visa are already wealthy by Thai standards. Whether or not ‘wealthy foreigners’ find alcohol prices here expensive rather depends on which country they originate from. Nevertheless most foreigners find alcohol (notably wine and spirit) prices in Thailand on the high side but is a reduction of, say, 100 baht on a bottle of wine really going to sway a foreigner who is contemplating a move abroad to head towards Thailand? Somehow I doubt it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leeshard said:

The definition of ‘wealthy foreigner’ is never defined but those who can keep the required 800,000 baht in their Thai bank account for 6 months of each year in order to qualify for the humble annual retirement visa are already wealthy by Thai standards. Whether or not ‘wealthy foreigners’ find alcohol prices here expensive rather depends on which country they originate from. Nevertheless most foreigners find alcohol (notably wine and spirit) prices in Thailand on the high side but is a reduction of, say, 100 baht on a bottle of wine really going to sway a foreigner who is contemplating a move abroad to head towards Thailand? Somehow I doubt it.

Some of my friends are very excited and queuing already  🤣

FG's

All text and posted content, must align to the topic and/or the first post under that topic. Post must be accompanied by a personal comment & link (URL) to any source for verification.

Edited by Faz
  • Haha 1

Pity you didn't tell them about social distancing or did you inadvertently invite your anti vaxxer friends on the forum ?  😂😂

Edited by Faz
quoted image removed.

2 hours ago, gummy said:

Pity you didn't tell them about social distancing or did you inadvertently invite your anti vaxxer friends on the forum ?  😂😂

This is abroad where they resumed normal life 🤭 Their hand luggage looks like this:

FG's

Edited by Faz

2 hours ago, gummy said:

You need to tell them to take their anti vaxxers spray deterrent along with them too 😂

I can't find one 😒 I'll email Pfizer if they can cook something up 😉

Meanwhile we have Andrew (he was very effective last night 🤣)

FG's

Edited by Faz

A number of images have been removed in breach of FG's.

Please note;

Rule 6. All text and posted content, must align to the topic and/or the first post under that topic. Post must be accompanied by a personal comment & link (URL) to any source for verification.

Rule 7. Sources must be publicly available (i.e., not from a “member’s only” website). Links must be checked by Members before posting to ensure they are valid.

Rule 8.Members are not to insert more than two relevant image files – pictures or videos, per post. Moderators may use their discretion and DELETE any image files that do not comply or are deemed offensive as per Forum Guidelines.

8 minutes ago, Faz said:

A number of images have been removed in breach of FG's.

Please note;

Rule 6. All text and posted content, must align to the topic and/or the first post under that topic. Post must be accompanied by a personal comment & link (URL) to any source for verification.

Rule 7. Sources must be publicly available (i.e., not from a “member’s only” website). Links must be checked by Members before posting to ensure they are valid.

Rule 8.Members are not to insert more than two relevant image files – pictures or videos, per post. Moderators may use their discretion and DELETE any image files that do not comply or are deemed offensive as per Forum Guidelines.

< Attempt at a humorous reply to a moderator removed.>

FG's.
Rule 11. Questions, comments, and complaints about Moderation actions are not allowed on the Forum. They are to only be raised by a Personal Message (PM) to the Moderator concerned or another member of the Moderation Panel.

Official warnings will be issued from herein.

Edited by Faz
comment attempting to be humorous removed.

Do you think a super wealthy individual like the ones they dream will visit will really give a dam about the price of booze or cigars and will decide on their vacation destination based on this?