Donald Trump sued for using the term “China Virus” to refer to Covid-19

Thaiger

A civil rights group is suing former US president Donald Trump for coining the term, “China Virus” to refer to Covid-19. The Chinese Americans Civil Rights Coalition have filed a complaint in a federal court in New York, alleging that Trump’s terminology had no substance to back it up and was a source of distress to Chinese Americans. The former president used the term frequently, along with the words, “Kung Flu” when discussing the pandemic in public. In its complaint, the CACRC alleges that Trump’s words were used without any consideration being given to the resulting impact on Chinese Americans. […]

The post Donald Trump sued for using the term “China Virus” to refer to Covid-19 appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

How very woke and stupid – like so many things in NY. Cliaming Trump caused the racial attacks is total PC rubbish and fake news like all the other things they blame him for. Agree or disagree with Trump, but the woke crowd has gone ridiculous. What about suing everyone that says anything about the ‘spanish flu’ of 1918 that killed at least 50 million maybe up to 100 million. Hong Kong flu? MERS? German Measels? Legionnaires Disease. The woke PC anti-Trump crowd are getting more and more ridiculous.

I fail to understand the use of the 'woke' word in every context I see it pop up.  Is there another verb or noun that you might use, please?

As far as Trump is concerned, I was happy he beat Clinton.  Otherwise, he deserves to be hung drawn and quartered by the IRS and anyone else with the balls to try.

1 hour ago, KaptainRob said:

I fail to understand the use of the 'woke' word in every context I see it pop up.  Is there another verb or noun that you might use, please?

For me, It's both good and bad that you've made that comment; good, in that I too have felt that it has become an over and indeed wrongly applied alternative to 'aware', and bad, insofar as AussieBob's use of 'woke' - which, these days, means alert to racial injustice - in his context is quite correct. So, perhaps a discreet apology might be good, there.

The really sad thing, I feel, is that the preponderance of racial injustice in recent life, especially in countries like the US where racial inclusion is still only a term, rather than reality, has led to the word being adopted and popularised by the BLM movement. You'll note my use of 'these days', in my above meaning of the word. That is due to its older meaning, i.e. simply being aware of or alert to things, generally and without the modern racial connection.

I hope my little intervention makes the word more acceptable for you, especially in this case with AussieBob more than justified to feel unreasonably criticised. Let constructive debate, rather than fault-finding be our predominant mantra, KaptainRob.

13 hours ago, King Cotton said:

For me, It's both good and bad that you've made that comment; good, in that I too have felt that it has become an over and indeed wrongly applied alternative to 'aware', and bad, insofar as AussieBob's use of 'woke' - which, these days, means alert to racial injustice - in his context is quite correct. So, perhaps a discreet apology might be good, there.

The really sad thing, I feel, is that the preponderance of racial injustice in recent life, especially in countries like the US where racial inclusion is still only a term, rather than reality, has led to the word being adopted and popularised by the BLM movement. You'll note my use of 'these days', in my above meaning of the word. That is due to its older meaning, i.e. simply being aware of or alert to things, generally and without the modern racial connection.

I hope my little intervention makes the word more acceptable for you, especially in this case with AussieBob more than justified to feel unreasonably criticised. Let constructive debate, rather than fault-finding be our predominant mantra, KaptainRob.

If you reread my post I was not criticising AussieBob per se, mere stating that "fail to understand the use of the 'woke' word in every context I see it pop up", and I asked if there were another word which could be used and more readily understood.

"woke and stupid"  = awake to racism but dumb..... Is that the intent with said context?

If I were finding fault it was whoever coined the name 'woke'.

AussieBob has a fairly good handle on Thai politics, and I agree with his views on Prayuth and the 2014 coup.  His broad-brush post re Trump is not so easy to comprehend.  Sounds like AB feels sorry for the orange clown.  *insert winking smilie here*

44 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

and I asked if there were another word which could be used and more readily understood

Sorry, KR, but, in my eyes at least, that is being critical of AB's use of 'woke'. I don't comment without reason.

Let's leave it there, please.

Been away and just caught up - all good and no offense taken or meant.

Probably the more 'correct' use of words would have been 'woke supremecy' - which is where some people are of the view that by being socially and racially 'correct', that they are somehow superior to others, when in fact they are just 'virtue signalling' - like a smug greenie driving an electric car thinking they are 'superior' to others in their petrol cars.  These days when someone calls someone else 'woke', it means that they think that person is going 'over the top' about being racially sensitive and socially aware. 

It was in that context that I used the word to describe the action of someone sueing a former politician for saying somethong that was socially and racially innapropriate.  Years ago the owner of an NBA team made racist comments and the 'woke' crowd wanted laws passed that punished people for saying such things. Pres Obama said whilst it was wrong and innapropriate what was said, trying to make laws to outlaw stupid ignorant people was not the solution - he pointed out that the public backlash against the owner was the way to deal with the issue. Not long afterwards the NBA declared that the owner was not the type of person they wanted in their organisation and as a private incorporated organisation they had the legal right to remove/suspend such a person - the owner was forced to sell the team or it would have been removed from the NBA competition if he remained the owner.  Those calling for laws to outlaw innapropriate language are 'woke' - trying to achieve the right outcome but going way too far. As the old proverb says: the road to Hell is paved with good intentions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

all good and no offense taken or meant.

An excellent post, AussieBob, and a more than adequate closure to the 'woke' issue.

Thanks

KC

• Thanks 1