News Forum - Coup anniversary marked by car mob with over 1000 vehicles

Thaiger

A massive car mob of protesters numbering well over 1,000 vehicles braved the heavy rain to call for the prime minister’s removal and to commemorate the 15th anniversary of the coup that began the trend of military control over Thailand. This latest in a continuous succession of protests against the current leaders of Thailand marks the anniversary of the coup on September 19, 2006, that knocked Thaksin Shinawatra out of power and was a precursor to the 2014 coup that brought PM Prayut Chan-o-cha to power. Redshirt activists drew parallels and connections between the two coups that happened 8 years […]

The post Coup anniversary marked by car mob with over 1000 vehicles appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

It is such a sad, terrible thing to see. 

I recall back in the mid/late 90s that Thailand was being hailed as 'The Next Great Asian Success Story' on a global basis; comparisons were floating about with Taiwan, South Korea, Japan and the like. Simply put, across global academia, global diplomacy and global business, it had everything going for it and a magnificent, glorious future was quickly arriving.

On a smaller scale, I recall being in Bangkok often between the mid 90's and the early 2000's and the feeling on the street was magnificent! On every street corner, in every soi, at all shops, all clubs, all bars, all places that people went, there was a spirit of 'can do!' and a sense of great wonders to come; it was a magical time to be in the city.

Then the coup(s).

Words fail me; it is like the PTB decided that the Thai people had both too much potential and too much fun, and decided that a huge, stultifying wet blanket had to be draped over the country. It is incredibly sad. Truly, truly sad.

I only hope that I get to see it rise again.

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

Maybe this boys agree..

Rage against dictatorship? I thought you said they just want vaccines? Which is different from fighting for freedom in other countries!

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

Maybe this boys agree..

They are very brave indeed one has seen time in prison and I think is currently on bail. Unfortunately as we all know one can't go to the places that I would be minded to and say what I feel or report and what I have heard from many  on my travels around Thailand.

There is a dark, dark heart in the heart of Thailand seldom seen by farangs but felt in the heart of most Thais who through fear know what not to say or where to go. The elites know if the push comes too much then they will show their bloody teeth as they always do when change seems possible. That said it could be much, much worse Myanmar is a model and road that I hope Thailand never travels down where a cult like army controls with a bloodied iron fist but with no velvet glove. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Poolie said:

So, barely 300 vehicles, including trapped taxis.

Thais not like chinese ccp terrorists. What you want in Thailand ?

1 hour ago, AlexPTY said:

Awesome way to spread some covid. Well done kids, now bring it home. 

Why you not go to your beloved Dictator and dictotorship in North korea or China and leave the kuds and Thais alone who want to live free and not in a dictatorship!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I take it you support the unelected military junta then @Poolie

Yes he is a chinese dictatorship supporter. He is writing pro junta , pro China, pro North Korea also in other forums and against democracies against the Hong konger who want keep their democracie. And mostly with the same name.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stardust said:

Yes he is a chinese dictatorship supporter. He is writing pro junta , pro China, pro North Korea also in other forums and against democracies against the Hong konger who want keep their democracie. And mostly with the same name.

They are paid shills for pro-China propaganda like this joker. Their thesis, in that they have one is that all protest comes from the actions of covert US interference in Asian domestics countries to advance global geopolitical  US interests and not from legitimate grievances that the protestors may have. 

Edited by billybob