News Forum - Lack of migrant workers forces government to appeal to Thais to fill vacant jobs

Thaiger

A shortage of migrant workers has driven the Thai government to appeal to Thais to do the jobs that have been left vacant. The Phuket News says there are over 400,000 jobs that need to be filled after migrant workers were unable to fill them due to Covid restrictions, which prevented them from entering Thailand. Labour Minister Suchart Chomklin says that many industries need labourers because migrant workers have been forbidden from entering Thailand to work, says the National News Bureau of Thailand. Migrant workers have been prohibited from coming into Thailand to work since March of last year. Suchart […]

The post Lack of migrant workers forces government to appeal to Thais to fill vacant jobs appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Pay a decent daily salary and Thais will work. This problem is being seen around the world. In the U.K. many low paid work which was normally done by foreigners are now vacant. However, the the Thais won’t work for 330 baht a day and the Brits won’t work for £8:50 (380 baht) and hour. Mind you, many Brits just won’t work….

I am however surprised this is such a problem in Thailand. In the U.K. the welfare system is such that the minimum wage is hardly worth it, especially if you need to commute to work and you lose some benefits if you are working. Such issues don’t apply in Thailand. Work and live. Don’t work and die. 

• Like 3

Interesting that the same worker shortage is happening in my own country in jobs like fruit picking and crop gathering. It would normally be filled by backpackers, but with the borders closed..... I don't expect a change until international borders are reopened. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Griff1315 said:

Young Thai men working when they can get free money from mom, pop and granny. Can't see that happening.

That sound good. Free money!

Maybe Griff can help labour job? Bring you freind.

1 minute ago, Yinn said:

That sound good. Free money!

Maybe Griff can help labour job? Bring you freind.

Anything to help all those poor young men flying around on their Honda Waves with nothing better to do why not....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

42 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

The Phuket News says there are over 400,000 jobs that need to be filled

Is that now an increase by 400,000 to Thailand’s unemployment?

19 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Pay a decent daily salary and Thais will work. This problem is being seen around the world. In the U.K. many low paid work which was normally done by foreigners are now vacant. However, the the Thais won’t work for 330 baht a day and the Brits won’t work for £8:50 (380 baht) and hour. Mind you, many Brits just won’t work….

I am however surprised this is such a problem in Thailand. In the U.K. the welfare system is such that the minimum wage is hardly worth it, especially if you need to commute to work and you lose some benefits if you are working. Such issues don’t apply in Thailand. Work and live. Don’t work and die. 

It is not the main problem many companies needed the migrant workers because they had problems to find skilled Thai labour. Thailand has a failed education system. I know many companies with mostly Myanmar and laotian workers only because they are more skilled and educated. But this is not the fault of the Thais it is the government that completly failed to build up a proper education level because Thailands its the worst in Asia. They never were interested about education just to learn them how to salute and take orders. No math skills, critical thinking etc. all the skills a you need to work nowaday in a company. The companies not have the resource to play kindergarten and guard every second.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

No. 

is increase by 400,000 to Burma, Laos and Cambodia unemployment. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stardust said:

education level because Thailands its the worst in Asia.

Wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rankings_of_universities_in_South_East_Asia

7 minutes ago, Stardust said:

Myanmar and laotian workers only because they are more skilled and educated

Wrong.
Is because they cheaper. Also reliable, they live worker camp, nothing fun to do = work everyday. 

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I was surprised to see all these Thai companies that have infected employees and a vast majority of them are not Thai workers! 

I know for foreign factories such as Japanese (I’m working for one) have to hire Thais. The only foreigners here are mid-level people, Japanese bosses, and the usual transfers. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Wrong.

Wrong.
Is because they cheaper. Also reliable, they live worker camp, nothing fun to do = work everyday. 

I am sorry to tell you that but I experienced it in internaional companies here in Thailand. I was working for a international company in south east asia since the mid 90s. I agree there are some good international private schools but that cannot cover the majority. Please go in some companies and look around and ask them for the reason. I also know many Companies pulled out sections from Thailand because of difficulties with the labour laws to bring enough skilled people from western or foreign countries because they couldn't get the skilled ones with the same standard in Thailand. Sure for hatd work you might be right with your reasons but I experienced the math skills in Thailand or skills from an engineer in Thailand compare to europe for example.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Wrong.

Wrong.

Exactly - comparing like for like it's easily verifiable as absolute nonsense that Laos and Myanmar have higher educational standards, but it's simply that the companies can get away with paying them less for doing tedious, repetitive work.

There are some exceptions where the skillset applies as well as the salary, for example in glass blowing, but these are skills that are very much taught  "on the job" rather than in schools / technical colleges.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Wrong.

Wrong.

Yes, work long hours in construction and then sleep on the building site , often whole families with children as well 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Ummm ... no, it's actually  a potential 400,000 decrease if it happens.

I wonder if the 400,000 were included in Phuket's population, though ...

16 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

I have never asked but do they have in Thai schools woodworking class or metalworking?  

Not in state schools, apart from as an afternoon extra-curricular activity if they have both the equipment and the instructors.

Edit: 

they do in prisons, though, where they produce quite a lot of good quality furniture, from redwood picnic houses to mother of pearl inlaid rosewood.

Excellent prices, mainly bought by dealers.

14 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

I have never asked but do they have in Thai schools woodworking class or metalworking?  

Yes, have three style university 

มหาวิทยาลัย = university (doctor, lawyer, engineer etc) 

วิทยาลัยเทคนิค = technical college (Wood and Metal) 

วิทยาลัยอาชีว = vocational college

25 minutes ago, Fluke said:

Yes, work long hours in construction and then sleep on the building site

Working on the site from morning 'till night
That's livin' alright

Sounds just like Düsseldorf …… Auf Wiedersehen Pet!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

Wrong.

Wrong.

By the way Thanatorn also critized the education system in Thailand and said it needed to reform and invest more in education because otherwise Thailand will be not able for the global competitions. The structure of companies is no more the same like in the past a lit of automatisation and another structure of jobs. To think about only cheap salarues are the reason they lost a lot of jobs to neighbourin countries is not true because nowaday there is a lot more automatisation and they need no more cheap workers, nowadays they need more skilled people. The time where everything is produced by manpower and hands is over but still in Thailand they think thats the reason. We are in the 21 th century with other technology than 50 years ago. They lost a lot to Vietnam because they have a better resource of skilled people plus better company and investor laws. Always blame cheap workers for everything is no more workable nowaday.

2 hours ago, Griff1315 said:

Anything to help all those poor young men flying around on their Honda Waves with nothing better to do why not....

Well that is one point of view but the super wealthy owners who pay these migrants less then the minimum wage and let them live in pigsty conditions in their production facilities may have to take a cut in their enormous profits if they are forced to employ locals and pay Thais the minimum rates and treat them properly in line with the Thai Labour Law.