omega 3 intake for longevity / increasing lifespan

dj230

Over the years I’ve read about the issue with excessive omega 6 fatty acid being an issue with old age disease/ decreasing lifespan / being unhealthy, a lot of people blame processed vegetable oils to be one of the reasons for increased omega 6 fatty acid intake. 

I noticed lots of longevity/anti aging scientists/doctors talk about a recent study showing increased omega 3 fatty acid intake to increase lifespan. 

here’s the study a lot of people are mentioning 

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/07/210722113004.htm

anyone take supplemental omega 3 fatty acid? I’ve been taking high concentration epa/dha omega 3 supplements for a while now, Kirkland brand. They seem to be reputable with quality control, ie no issues with heavy metal contamination (mercury) or rancid oils. 

Edited by dj230

Yeah, I'm a Kirkland Fish Oil user. I tried the Omega 3 processed product you're taking and it didn't seem to work any better. The benefit is that it displaces the Omega 6 but I don't think it works without an improvement in overall diet. If you hope to continue eating a typical western diet and the Omega 3 will fix everything then it's probably going to be disappointing. But if you cut back on meat to 10% max of your daily calories, increase whole grain, and veg & fruit (Read "The Whole Food Diet" for the extreme version) then Omega 3 can probably contribute to the clean-up effort.

52 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

i eat salmon every day for breakfast. 

Have you eaten Salmon Trout?

It has a gorgeous orange colour, & a much better taste, imo.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

no, i will try it. maybe. 😀

You probably already have. As a salmon (breeds in fresh water but moves to the ocean) it's called steelhead and is pretty common. As a trout (when only living in fresh water) it's called rainbow and is inedible.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JamesE said:

You probably already have. As a salmon (breeds in fresh water but moves to the ocean) it's called steelhead and is pretty common. As a trout (when only living in fresh water) it's called rainbow and is inedible.

Rainbow trout is a low mercury fish and very nutritious.Not to be confused with the sea trout or salmon trout,steelhead in the states they are different beasts.All the fish you see on a fishmongers slab in Europe that's called salmon trout (a prized game fish that is actually a trout that's gone out to sea for it's holiday) is farmed rainbow trout.Mind you trout was one of the earliest farmed fish so they have probably been interbred to form all sorts of mutations.

I caught a trout in the river Thames,while spinning for pike of Monkey Island near Bray early 70s.I was told it probably came from a fish farm that flooded some years earlier.That was inedible.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 9/18/2021 at 7:09 AM, dj230 said:

Over the years I’ve read about the issue with excessive omega 6 fatty acid being an issue with old age disease/ decreasing lifespan / being unhealthy, a lot of people blame processed vegetable oils to be one of the reasons for increased omega 6 fatty acid intake. 

I noticed lots of longevity/anti aging scientists/doctors talk about a recent study showing increased omega 3 fatty acid intake to increase lifespan. 

here’s the study a lot of people are mentioning 

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/07/210722113004.htm

anyone take supplemental omega 3 fatty acid? I’ve been taking high concentration epa/dha omega 3 supplements for a while now, Kirkland brand. They seem to be reputable with quality control, ie no issues with heavy metal contamination (mercury) or rancid oils. 

Why not just eat fish? 

1 minute ago, dj230 said:

Costs, convenience, avoiding mercury, lower in calories and I believe it works better

Mercury is not an issue, unless you're pregnant and it's something like swordfish. The calories from fish are good protein and fats (omega!). The cost of fish varies but I'm talking 100 grams of fish. You're gonna eat or prepare food anyways (I hope?). 

Plus fish is delicious 😋 

9 hours ago, Vince said:

Mercury is not an issue, unless you're pregnant and it's something like swordfish. The calories from fish are good protein and fats (omega!). The cost of fish varies but I'm talking 100 grams of fish. You're gonna eat or prepare food anyways (I hope?). 

Plus fish is delicious 😋 

I knew a few people with undiagnosed mercury poisoning, as it’s not usually checked routinely. They had all sorts of symptoms and felt “unhealthy” but just figured it was getting old. Then they we’re tested for heavy metals and found they had higher than normal mercury levels.

not trying to fear monger and I don’t specifically take fish oils because of fear of mercury nor do I avoid fish. It’s just one of the extra benefits of supplements when trying to get high doses of omega 3 in the diet in my opinion. 

also as much as I love protein, from what I’ve understood in current science is that it’s “not good”. It’s not bad and it’s actually essential but I’ve been trying to decrease my protein intake to decrease mtor activation.

Edited by dj230
  • Like 1

Recent studies have shown that taking omega 3 supplements and fish oil supplements is of absolutely no benefit as the fatty acids from processed oils cannot be absorbed by the body. If you want to get the benifits of increased omega 3 you must get it from eating oil fish that is fresh and unprocessed. 

1 hour ago, dj230 said:

I knew a few people with undiagnosed mercury poisoning, as it’s not usually checked routinely. They had all sorts of symptoms and felt “unhealthy” but just figured it was getting old. Then they we’re tested for heavy metals and found they had higher than normal mercury levels.

not trying to fear monger and I don’t specifically take fish oils because of fear of mercury nor do I avoid fish. It’s just one of the extra benefits of supplements when trying to get high doses of omega 3 in the diet in my opinion. 

also as much as I love protein, from what I’ve understood in current science is that it’s “not good”. It’s not bad and it’s actually essential but I’ve been trying to decrease my protein intake to decrease mtor activation.

Are you a meat eater? 

14 hours ago, Tim_Melb said:

Recent studies have shown that taking omega 3 supplements and fish oil supplements is of absolutely no benefit as the fatty acids from processed oils cannot be absorbed by the body. If you want to get the benifits of increased omega 3 you must get it from eating oil fish that is fresh and unprocessed. 

Could you share the studies, all the studies I've read have shown significant health benefits from omega 3 in the diet from food or supplementation. Pharmaceutical companies already developed super high concentration versions that are prescribed like Vascepa.

Would be interesting to see studies that prove omega 3 supplements cannot be absorbed by the body. 

14 hours ago, Vince said:

Are you a meat eater? 

Yes I eat meat, not against eating meat in anyway

Edited by dj230

10 minutes ago, dj230 said:

Could you share the studies, all the studies I've read have shown significant health benefits from omega 3 in the diet from food or supplementation. Pharmaceutical companies already developed super high concentration versions that are prescribed like Vascepa.

Would be interesting to see studies that prove omega 3 supplements cannot be absorbed by the body. 

Yes I eat meat, not against eating meat in anyway

I think you got the wrong guy. I never said omega 3 couldn't be absorbed. I said 'why not eat fish?' 

If you eat meats, what about fat and cholesterol in meat? 

9 hours ago, Vince said:

I think you got the wrong guy. I never said omega 3 couldn't be absorbed. I said 'why not eat fish?' 

If you eat meats, what about fat and cholesterol in meat? 

yea sorry if post was quoted wrong, that part of my response was a reply to tim_melb

Dietary cholesterol actually doesn’t have much of an effect on blood cholesterol levels from the science I’ve read. It’s mainly a high fat/saturated fat diet. 

I keep my dietary fat fairly low, maybe that’s why I also decided to take omega 3 supplement. 

Edited by dj230
  • Like 1