News Forum - Local businesses say they aren’t profiting from Phuket Sandbox

Thaiger

5 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

I'm not too thick to see you laughing at me Griff1315 🤬🤬🤬 haha 😉

Would never dare laugh at a member of the Government Mr Health Minister Sir

😉😉😉

• Haha 1

I remember saying that the Sandbox would only help those that had big money connections, and it's now evident that this is true.

It was a sad trick to play on the merchants of Phuket, but the deck was stacked against them with nothing but beach to offer the tourists.

Nothing...

• Like 2

Just now, Bob20 said:

Maybe after I can see an unhidden face again 😷

Agree can't wander around, admiring the beauty now, I can't even recognise anyone with a mask on. 

• Like 1

another reason why Thailand needs back packers and not only wealthy tourists... most of your economy is small businesses that are supported by small spenders

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Robert2020 said:

another reason why Thailand needs back packers and not only wealthy tourists... most of your economy is small businesses that are supported by small spenders

Exactly, small change economy. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Graham said:

Well gee, that's a surprise, not. Did they seriously believe all the BS the government said, this was never meant to help small local businesses, this was only for the big boys that have connections high up in government. The only way it's going to be of benefit to small businesses is for a open wide up to tourism, international and local, otherwise forget it, same select few will get something but not everyone. 

TIT.

Why else would Phuket be orange while other provinces with less cases are red if not for the big corporations paying the government 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Why else would Phuket be orange while other provinces with less cases are red if not for the big corporations paying the government 

Just that Phuket has all those people vaccinated …. And lots of free hospital beds ….. and …. Oh I give up, I ain’t got a clue why it’s not red.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TukTuk said:

Who in their right mind wants to travel to Thailand when most everything is closed? 

🖐️ Most, not all. (But then I'm not claiming anything about being in my right mind.)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Manu said:

A suggestion to the Thaiger next time you go out there is to interview the sandboxers themselves...although I believe to know already who they are and what they will say. I would bet a fortune that the vast majority of sandboxers are ex-pats and regular long time stayers that are just coming back to Thailand using the sandbox instead of a full quarantaine in BKK. Who on earth would want to spend their 3/4 weeks holidays in these conditions, with all the paperworks, money and time consumming to end in a empty place where you have to wear a mask at all time, all your movements being tracked... and you cannot even enjoy a beer with your meal? Sure there must an handful of real tourists enjoying the empty beaches, but surely not more than that. I know personally 8 people who have used the sandbox since July, 2 of them being there right now. I will also use it next month, I know at least one of my friends who will also be there around the same time.

Seeing lots of families (parents with kids) and younger, tweens, tourists, these days in Kata and Karon. Of course, some of the old sexpats are back too, same is true for the companions, young and pretty, but jt seems to be a age mix like always. Just not in high numbers

• Haha 1

after paying for SHA+ hotel, tests and other necessary stuff, i am sure most of the tourists grab sandwich and beer at 7/11 and go back to the room to enjoy holidays. there is no need to stroll around town looking for "i love Phuket" t-shirt

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, AlexPTY said:

after paying for SHA+ hotel, tests and other necessary stuff, i am sure most of the tourists grab sandwich and beer at 7/11 and go back to the room to enjoy holidays. there is no need to stroll around town looking for "i love Phuket" t-shirt

Honestly if someone can't afford 10-20k, even 30k baht for 14 days, then maybe they should rethink international travel when they have save enough money 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Honestly if someone can't afford 10-20k, even 30k baht for 14 days, then maybe they should rethink international travel when they have save enough money 

But even if you can afford it, why would you spend it being in a place like Phuket with all nightlife closed?  Multiple swabs up your nose and risk of being put in hospital. Holidays are supposed to be fun. Do we remember that? Totally crazy. Only people there are people with a reason to be in Thailand. No one, and I mean no one, is going there from work for 2 weeks on holiday and returning with family. I just simply do not believe it. If I’m wrong then where’s the proof. Where’s the pictures of deckchairs and groups on the beach? Not happening. 

4 minutes ago, Soidog said:

But even if you can afford it, why would you spend it being in a place like Phuket with all nightlife closed?  Multiple swabs up your nose and risk of being put in hospital. Holidays are supposed to be fun. Do we remember that? Totally crazy. Only people there are people with a reason to be in Thailand. No one, and I mean no one, is going there from work for 2 weeks on holiday and returning with family. I just simply do not believe it. If I’m wrong then where’s the proof. Where’s the pictures of deckchairs and groups on the beach? Not happening. 

That is not what I responded to

I have no real opinion on the Sandbox

Thailand, like every other country, is done what they think best. We can debate what that is

I just replied to the guy complaining about not having enough money 

When there are plenty of hotels for 10-15k for 14 nights

Then another 10k for tests

Honestly, if, as a grown adult, you can't afford 750usd for a 2 week stay in a hotel, you probably shouldn't be traveling internationally 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Yeah, I don't understand all the whining about the over-priced everything. Thailand, including the tests and SHA+ transport, and 2-week hotel requirements, is still less expensive than it's ever been (in today's money). I'm booked into the sandbox next month - Hotel - a nice, new place in Karon a block off the beach: US$820, including breakfast, RT airport transfer and transfer to my tests. PCR Tests: US$240. Food - US$4-500 (I am not gonna be dining at 7...). Scooter rental -  US$100. Flight back to BKK after the box - $50. All up I get two weeks on Phuket for about $1,700. And I didn't pick the cheaper hotel option because hotel prices right now are stupid-cheap and not the main expense. I might have been able to save a couple hundred baht/night but, why?

9 minutes ago, Soidog said:

why would you spend it being in a place like Phuket with all nightlife closed?

Reason enough right there.

11 minutes ago, Soidog said:

No one, and I mean no one, is going there from work for 2 weeks on holiday and returning with family.

Another plus. I could go to wide-open Spain or Greece and be subjected to the nasty little unvaccinated vectors running around like rats with pool toys.

3 minutes ago, JamesE said:

Reason enough right there.

Another plus. I could go to wide-open Spain or Greece and be subjected to the nasty little unvaccinated vectors running around like rats with pool toys.

People have different wants in holiday 

For me, I would find it very attractive to be on a quiet Phuket for a couple of weeks

No traffic when riding your MB around

Beaches empty 

I may be wrong, but I think you can have some beers at a restaurant that serves food?

If so, that suits me more than fine

All sounds like a great holiday to me

• Like 1