News Forum - Local businesses say they aren’t profiting from Phuket Sandbox

Thaiger

16 minutes ago, Soidog said:

But even if you can afford it, why would you spend it being in a place like Phuket with all nightlife closed?  Multiple swabs up your nose and risk of being put in hospital. Holidays are supposed to be fun. Do we remember that? Totally crazy. Only people there are people with a reason to be in Thailand. No one, and I mean no one, is going there from work for 2 weeks on holiday and returning with family. I just simply do not believe it. If I’m wrong then where’s the proof. Where’s the pictures of deckchairs and groups on the beach? Not happening. 

Absolutely bang on.

You only have to watch any one of a dozen you tube video/ posts, to see everything in Patong for example, is closed and no one on the beaches.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

That is not what I responded to

I have no real opinion on the Sandbox

Thailand, like every other country, is done what they think best. We can debate what that is

I just replied to the guy complaining about not having enough money 

When there are plenty of hotels for 10-15k for 14 nights

Then another 10k for tests

Honestly, if, as a grown adult, you can't afford 750usd for a 2 week stay in a hotel, you probably shouldn't be traveling internationally 

Apologies if I read it wrong. I agree $750 is not a lot to ask 

20 minutes ago, JamesE said:

Reason enough right there.

Another plus. I could go to wide-open Spain or Greece and be subjected to the nasty little unvaccinated vectors running around like rats with pool toys.

That’s fine. But why are there an increasing number making out like this is a reasonable alternative to places far more easier to get to. Are you planning on going for your standard 2 weeks annual holiday away from work? I doubt it. 

Not surprised from this idea most only benefits the few, Where if you have a wide variety of tourists then it spreads the money more widely in the community. And this is the difference as pointed out by other commentators but also seen on vloggers in Create in Greece how everything is open no mask and people enjoying the normal life.

The "satellite" businesses in the tourist trae were relying on nearly 40 million visitors coming to Thailand. ....but just a few hundred people staying in a 4 star hotel with travel and covid restriction aren't going to help them at all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

That’s fine. But why are there an increasing number making out like this is a reasonable alternative to places far more easier to get to. Are you planning on going for your standard 2 weeks annual holiday away from work? I doubt it. 

That's true. But I removed myself from the workforce in 2003 so haven't had that pressure for a while. I agree, it's not for everybody but it is a "reasonable alternative to places far more easier to get to" because those places are exactly where everybody who isn't coming to Thailand will be.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JamesE said:

That's true. But I removed myself from the workforce in 2003 so haven't had that pressure for a while. I agree, it's not for everybody but it is a "reasonable alternative to places far more easier to get to" because those places are exactly where everybody who isn't coming to Thailand will be.

Well I agree. If it’s solitude and an early night on your holidays, then Thailand is the place to be 👍🏻

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I may be wrong, but I think you can have some beers at a restaurant that serves food?

Sadly, you would be wrong, and one of the main complaints.  No booze served, only sold retail in shops.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, MrStretch said:

I remember saying that the Sandbox would only help those that had big money connections, and it's now evident that this is true.

It was a sad trick to play on the merchants of Phuket, but the deck was stacked against them with nothing but beach to offer the tourists.

Nothing...

This is clear, the true local and small businesses do not benefit from this experience. Although some might say that there are connections while benefiting the rich as all is intertwined together, but i beg to differ as it is an indirect benefit to the true local and small businesses. A direct consumption by tourist to the local and small businesses would truly benefit these groups who are now suffering the most as their physiological needs are now in dire straits.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrStretch said:

Sadly, you would be wrong, and one of the main complaints.  No booze served, only sold retail in shops.

I think I've read(heard) that plenty are serving out of cups

Not totally ideal but I'd be happy with a few beers at a beach restaurant serving out of cups

I'm not there, I've just have read expats on Phuket mention that 

2 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I think I've read(heard) that plenty are serving out of cups

Not totally ideal but I'd be happy with a few beers at a beach restaurant serving out of cups

I'm not there, I've just have read expats on Phuket mention that 

It's a common way around booze bans. For years on certain occasions monk days, elections birthdays I have enjoyed my beer in the local bar in a very large coffee mug.

TIT

3 minutes ago, Griff1315 said:

It's a common way around booze bans. For years on certain occasions monk days, elections birthdays I have enjoyed my beer in the local bar in a very large coffee mug.

Guinness?

9fd24a3715ecf07b5f99295e9c8f72ce.jpg

• Haha 3

I was on a Phuket to Dubai flight recently with a bunch of sandboxers going home. They appeared to me to be mostly Israelis. They aren't the type to go out to Phuket Town and spend money in the smaller shops. They only eat kosher so they're not going to eat som tam boo bala. They come on package tours and stay at the resort mostly.

It's not surprising the smaller businesses haven't benefitted from the sandbox. I think the people coming are returning ex-pats, businessmen, and people on package tours. 

• Like 3

The biggest problem with Phuket is that it’s sealed itself off completely from domestic tourism. My understanding is that neither Thais nor resident ex-pats are actually allowed to go there unless they have a good reason and ‘tourism’ isn’t one of them. Phuket didn’t just rely on international tourism. Domestic tourists were extremely important too and those numbers are currently standing at zero.

Edited by Leeshard
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Leeshard said:

The biggest problem with Phuket is that it’s sealed itself off completely from domestic tourism. My understanding is that neither Thais nor resident ex-pats are actually allowed to go there until they have a good reason and ‘tourism’ isn’t one of them. Phuket didn’t just rely in international tourism. Domestic tourism was extremely important too and that’s currently standing at zero.

That is exactly why Pattaya is reconsidering becoming a sandbox for foreign travel, because they will then miss out of the domestic market, which is larger.

And you can't have both at the same time (yet). Can you imagine the numbers around the country if domestic travel was freely allowed in and out of sandboxes as well? 

12 hours ago, Manu said:

A suggestion to the Thaiger next time you go out there is to interview the sandboxers themselves...although I believe to know already who they are and what they will say. I would bet a fortune that the vast majority of sandboxers are ex-pats and regular long time stayers that are just coming back to Thailand using the sandbox instead of a full quarantaine in BKK. Who on earth would want to spend their 3/4 weeks holidays in these conditions, with all the paperworks, money and time consumming to end in a empty place where you have to wear a mask at all time, all your movements being tracked... and you cannot even enjoy a beer with your meal? Sure there must an handful of real tourists enjoying the empty beaches, but surely not more than that. I know personally 8 people who have used the sandbox since July, 2 of them being there right now. I will also use it next month, I know at least one of my friends who will also be there around the same time.

After 2 months total 28k arrived at phuket, 13k left the island to other areas of Thailand (probably returnees), 5k are still in phuket and 10k went home those 10k that went home were surveyed and 80% were satisfied with hospitality  so 2000 were not happy,  I did read but can't find on the 10th of this month 29k had come so that's only 1000 more in 10 days !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A moments thought shows that is an obvious flaw in the sandbox scheme and the governments future plans.

current tourist are “encouraged” not to move around and people who enjoy resort holidays tend to stay in and around the resorts.

the same would be true regarding government plans to target “high end tourists” in the future. They would be better trying to encourage their existing market of tourists before it disappears forever.

1 minute ago, Malc-Thai said:

After 2 months total 28k arrived at phuket, 13k left the island to other areas of Thailand (probably returnees), 5k are still in phuket and 10k went home those 10k that went home were surveyed and 80% were satisfied with hospitality  so 2000 were not happy,  I did read but can't find on the 10th of this month 29k had come so that's only 1000 more in 10 days !

Yes, so at least half were returnees and the 5000 still in Phuket may in part be returnees as well (some live there). Just as predicted, because these people had a reason to jump through the hoops as it was the only way to come back to family or home... No wonder there are less takers now, as the returnees took the earliest opportunity. And seeing the numbers and PR is enough to put anyone else off anyway.

• Like 1

Should I feel sorry?? Sure I had a lot of fun in Phuket but I faced scammers and exorbiant  prices every damn day I was there. As soon as you step out of the airport and get into your taxi, hell stop the meter halfway and demand 600thb upfront. 

If you’re on the road trying to hail a taxi, one pulls up and you tell him where you want to go, he’ll drive off if he doesn’t like the answer nor the price, sometimes with your hand still on the door handle. 

Maybe treat your tourists better. 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Leeshard said:

The biggest problem with Phuket is that it’s sealed itself off completely from domestic tourism.

True initially, not true now. The domestic regs are basically the same as the international requirements except for the COE.

5 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

I did read but can't find on the 10th of this month 29k had come so that's only 1000 more in 10 days !

TAT is reporting a total of 33K as of 17-09. They also post arrivals which average 400-500/day. Some days are higher than others but it's about 100 passengers per flight so you should be able to have a row to yourself.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, JamesE said:

True initially, not true now. The domestic regs are basically the same as the international requirements except for the COE.

TAT is reporting a total of 33K as of 17-09. They also post arrivals which average 400-500/day. Some days are higher than others but it's about 100 passengers per flight so you should be able to have a row to yourself.

I'd not seen the updated numbers so 33k is another 5k in just over half a month.. I do know 2 friends left Thailand to get their vaccine of choice 1 here now lives hua hin and another coming back next week.. in fairness it does seem busier here and you can tell the tourists from people that live Thailand and returning.. many Israeli and Arab that are taking a selfie everywhere and driving with the standard rental bike with leather covered open faced helmets in rainy season! 

Edited by Malc-Thai
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Alan8505 said:

A moments thought shows that is an obvious flaw in the sandbox scheme and the governments future plans.

current tourist are “encouraged” not to move around and people who enjoy resort holidays tend to stay in and around the resorts.

the same would be true regarding government plans to target “high end tourists” in the future. They would be better trying to encourage their existing market of tourists before it disappears forever.

Don't you feel that the Phuket Sandbox was designed to look after a select few rather a wider spread of businesses?

In my opinion they need high end, middle market and budget as this gives all tourist related businesses a piece of the pie rather than your 5 star hotels and fine dining restaurants. The reason the authorities & Hisos want high end means the people who have lots of money will be easier to extort with over pricing etc and will mean that the budget accommodation owners & restaurants will slowly go broke and close down. 

But while on the wider spread of businesses, local operators, market sellers including taxis & tour opertors need to stop gouging tourists as they give the entire community a worse reputation than they already have. Thai authorities should outlaw double pricing as this sets a precedence that encourages gouging!

I'll tell you what I have noticed recently, Places offering a discount but cutting back on the portions Im not sure if thats the right way to go, personally I will not order from that restaurant again Im not bothered about the discount but I was disappointed in my meal. It really was noticeable maybe half what it should be

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Paulw said:

Don't you feel that the Phuket Sandbox was designed to look after a select few rather a wider spread of businesses?

In my opinion they need high end, middle market and budget as this gives all tourist related businesses a piece of the pie rather than your 5 star hotels and fine dining restaurants. The reason the authorities & Hisos want high end means the people who have lots of money will be easier to extort with over pricing etc and will mean that the budget accommodation owners & restaurants will slowly go broke and close down. 

But while on the wider spread of businesses, local operators, market sellers including taxis & tour opertors need to stop gouging tourists as they give the entire community a worse reputation than they already have. Thai authorities should outlaw double pricing as this sets a precedence that encourages gouging!

It happened to me recently in a pharmacy, well she tried I just walked out went to the next one

• Like 2