Cycling accident re-run

Bluesofa

• 2 months later...

Thai ambulances..?  After my smash, when they got me on the gurney and into the vehicle, then got the back doors fastened the driver started up the pick-up type ambulance..

PHOOWAWAWAWA!.. It had had a big V8 motor shoe-horned into it!  Gear engaged, blues n twos on, clutch out,  away we go..But I shot BACKWARDS... The muppets had not locked down the gurney!!

This was the point that I looked over my shoulder to see who was driving?  Was it Burt Reynolds & Dom Deluise..? 'Cos this was certainly had a 'Cannonball Run' feel to it... 555.

(On top of this they even took me to the wrong hospital!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Tanuki said:

Thai ambulances..?  After my smash, when they got me on the gurney and into the vehicle, then got the back doors fastened the driver started up the pick-up type ambulance..

PHOOWAWAWAWA!.. It had had a big V8 motor shoe-horned into it!  Gear engaged, blues n twos on, clutch out,  away we go..But I shot BACKWARDS... The muppets had not locked down the gurney!!

This was the point that I looked over my shoulder to see who was driving?  Was it Burt Reynolds & Dom Deluise..? 'Cos this was certainly had a 'Cannonball Run' feel to it... 555.

(On top of this they even took me to the wrong hospital!)

Yes, looking back on these events it's like something out of a 1970s Carry On comedy film.
In fact I think in one of the Carry On films there was someone fell out of an ambulance. Perhaps your ambulance crew had been watching the same film?

Why did they take you to the wrong hospital? Was it them not understanding where you wanted to go, or did the ambulance belong to the 'wrong hospital' they took you to?
Did you end up at the 'right hospital' in the end?

I got taken 1st to the nearest hospital..They said they could not deal with me, injected more yaa into me & off we set at a fast (noisy V8 grumbly pace) to Korat.

Once there I was rushed thru' ICU to the X-ray room, a team was scrambled & a hasty x-ray taken.. The head Dr/consultant turned to me & said "Mr Chris..emergency over"..then he pointed to the slide on the wall-screen with 2 black lines running down my (funny shaped) leg.. He pointed to them.."Blood in, Blood out" he said.. "Now we not cut off you leg"..(!)  Seemingly 83% of leg dislocations severs the main arteries and by the time the patient gets to hospital the lower leg/foot has been starved of blood for to long..!

Upshot was 8 weeks in Thai hospitals, then flown back to the UK, and 11 months with a thigh to ankle Lliarov-frame fitted to very slowly ease my leg back into my knee care of Hull royal Infirmary.

So I'm quite lucky really to be able to still hit the trails around Hua Hin on my Mtb.. same as you bluesofa..indeed you were lucky with your back injuries (in hindsight).

• Like 1