British passport renewal question

Changnam43

I know this is not exactly the right forum but it is the closest there is and my question is relevant to applying for an extension of stay in Thailand.

I am a British Citizen in Thailand and I will have to apply for a new passport in the near future.  I will be doing so as early as possible but right now I need to use my current valid passport.  According to gov.uk current passport processing times are, on average, 11 weeks.

I am required to apply for my new passport in person in Bangkok.  Will my current British passport be cancelled at the time of application?  The Thailand specific guidance on gov.uk says that you cannot use your current passport for travel once you apply for a new one but it does not address my question.  I have no need to travel while the application for a new passport is under consideration.

The reason I ask is because while my application for a replacement British passport is under consideration I will have to apply for an extension of stay in Thailand.  I can only do that if I present Thai immigration with a valid passport.  If my current passport is cancelled at the time I apply for a new one the delays in issuing a new passport are such that I will be unable to travel, unable to apply for an extension of stay and will inevitably become an overstayer.  The only way out of such a scenario would be to apply for an emergency travel document which, I assume, would not be valid for applying for an extension of stay and use that travel document to leave the country.  That hardly seems a reasonable solution given that there is no emergency, I have no wish to leave this country and the situation arises solely because of unreasonable delays at the British Passport Office.

I have raised this issue with the British Embassy in Bangkok.  I await their reply.  I have not called the pay per minute advice line in the UK as I doubt they would be familiar with detailed processes in this country which differ from the norm.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Changnam43 said:

I am required to apply for my new passport in person in Bangkok.  Will my current British passport be cancelled at the time of application?  The Thailand specific guidance on gov.uk says that you cannot use your current passport for travel once you apply for a new one but it does not address my question.  I have no need to travel while the application for a new passport is under consideration.

No, your current Passport will remain valid until you receive your new Passport, which when returning to collect they should snip the corner from your old Passport to cancel it.

5 minutes ago, Changnam43 said:

The reason I ask is because while my application for a replacement British passport is under consideration I will have to apply for an extension of stay in Thailand.  I can only do that if I present Thai immigration with a valid passport. 

Note, Immigration will only grant a new permission of stay up to the validity date of a Passport.
If you have less than 12 months remaining on your current Passport, you will only be granted permission of stay up to that Passports validity date.

When collecting your new Passport, at the Trendy building they should issue a letter for Immigration.
Take your new Passport, the letter and a completed 'Transfer stamps to new Passport' form, available to download here: Immigration application forms for download. - > Visas, Long Stay, Extensions, Re-entry Permit - Thaiger Talk (thethaiger.com) then visit your local Immigration office who will transfer stamps from your old to new Passport as a notation of your status.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Faz said:

No, your current Passport will remain valid until you receive your new Passport, which when returning to collect they should snip the corner from your old Passport to cancel it.

Note, Immigration will only grant a new permission of stay up to the validity date of a Passport.
If you have less than 12 months remaining on your current Passport, you will only be granted permission of stay up to that Passports validity date.

When collecting your new Passport, at the Trendy building they should issue a letter for Immigration.
Take your new Passport, the letter and a completed 'Transfer stamps to new Passport' form, available to download here: Immigration application forms for download. - > Visas, Long Stay, Extensions, Re-entry Permit - Thaiger Talk (thethaiger.com) then visit your local Immigration office who will transfer stamps from your old to new Passport as a notation of your status.

Thank you Faz.  If things go as you describe then I have no problem.

I am replacing the passport as it is full.  Validity date is not an issue as it is valid to December 2023.

• Like 1

I'm fortunate in that my Passport expires in August 2023, whilst my extension renewals are due in July, so I'll be able to obtain a 1 year extension next year through to 2023.
I'm planning a trip back to the UK come hell or highwater May 2023 and will renew my Passport whilst in the UK.

• Like 1

This will be my sixth 50 page British passport in 20 years.

At times I was getting through a 50 page passport in as little as 18 months.

My pet hate is stick in visas that take an entire page.

Oh dear.

I have just received a response to my OP question above from the British Embassy Bangkok.

Their advice was to call the UK based pay per minute helpline.  The one staffed by people who almost certainly have no idea of the nuts and bolts processes for renewing a passport in Thailand.

🤦‍♂️   

40 minutes ago, Changnam43 said:

Oh dear.

I have just received a response to my OP question above from the British Embassy Bangkok.

Their advice was to call the UK based pay per minute helpline.  The one staffed by people who almost certainly have no idea of the nuts and bolts processes for renewing a passport in Thailand.

🤦‍♂️   

Well not surprised at that reply. Sums up what use they are really.