News Forum - Final arguments Tuesday on dual pricing suit against Health Ministry

Thaiger

Courts are preparing to hear final arguments on Tuesday in a case that a Dutchman has been fighting for several years to end the dual pricing system many foreigners experience at hospitals in Thailand. The anti-discrimination suit was filed two years ago by Erwin Buse, after being routinely charged extra fees for his cancer treatment at Hua Hin Hospital. The final hearing will commence Tuesday in the Administrative Court in Phetchaburi province where the man has named the Health Ministry and Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul in his lawsuit. Erwin, a Dutch expat living as a goat herder with his […]

The post Final arguments Tuesday on dual pricing suit against Health Ministry appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Dual pricing in any circumstance is discrimination and therefore wrong.

I hope with all my heart that he wins his case but with the Thai courts being so deeply in the pockets of the government I can only see one outcome...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

It's these publicly fought cases that are terrible PR for Thailand abroad. They'd make far more money off of honest treatment and people visiting with confidence, than if time after time it shows itself in a bad light.

3 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

It's these publicly fought cases that are terrible PR for Thailand abroad. They'd make far more money off of honest treatment and people visiting with confidence, than if time after time it shows itself in a bad light.

So will Thai hospitals set up a stall at the World Expo in Dubai next to the Thai Tourism stall. They may be able to put a bandaid on this media attention?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, yetanother said:

as one old, wise thai once told me: "thais cheat thais, you have no chance"

Fits in well with the other Thai saying …. “Same, Same but Different” ….

The Different part for us is on the same bill!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Didn't Thailand want to become a hub of excellence in medical treatment. (Along with many other hubs that it claims). Think how a case like this looks to any foreigners thinking of flying here for medical treatment. Hope it's well covered by foreign media...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Griff1315 said:

Hope it's well covered by foreign media...

I bet most of the European countries won’t even mention it. Lazy journalists are more interested in reporting about “Britney” from Blackpool who’s bin wasn’t emptied last week and claiming compensation for stress from the council   

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Mr.Buse is walking into a lions den. Most Thais are incredibly biased and it is almost their cultural right to cheat others. I'm sick of seeing backpackers that scrape their savings together to travel in Thailand and pay through the nose for medical treatment yet the overweight local business man that arrives in a S class Mercedes wearing a gold Rolex pays half.

I have personally asked hospital staff why I am discriminated. They blatantly deny that the overpricing is racism. In their own words it is because I am a Farang.

I hop with all my heart that Erwin is successful but I'm not holding my breathe.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Griff1315 said:

Didn't Thailand want to become a hub of excellence in medical treatment. (Along with many other hubs that it claims). Think how a case like this looks to any foreigners thinking of flying here for medical treatment. Hope it's well covered by foreign media...

I highly doubt it would have any impact on medical travel. They are going to certain hospitals(Bumrungard, etc) and have obviously agreed to the prices(or there about) prior to being admitted. Which is likely a lot less than in their homes country

They aren't going to be any "surprises"

1 hour ago, mickkotlarski said:

Mr.Buse is walking into a lions den. Most Thais are incredibly biased and it is almost their cultural right to cheat others. I'm sick of seeing backpackers that scrape their savings together to travel in Thailand and pay through the nose for medical treatment yet the overweight local business man that arrives in a S class Mercedes wearing a gold Rolex pays half.

I have personally asked hospital staff why I am discriminated. They blatantly deny that the overpricing is racism. In their own words it is because I am a Farang.

I hop with all my heart that Erwin is successful but I'm not holding my breathe.

A couple things
You choose to live in a country with real no status. I think of a "public" hospital as a hospital for people who pay into the system and are residents/citizens.

As for the never-ending dual pricing complaint.............we have it in all our countries. Every country has resident pricing vs non-resident pricing

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I highly doubt it would have any impact on medical travel. They are going to certain hospitals(Bumrungard, etc) and have obviously agreed to the prices(or there about) prior to being admitted. Which is likely a lot less than in their homes country

They aren't going to be any "surprises"

Agreed on all counts.

7 hours ago, Griff1315 said:

Think how a case like this looks to any foreigners thinking of flying here for medical treatment.

If any foreigners are thinking of flying here for medical treatment at a public hospital and hoping to get it for the same price a Thai or an expat on a work permit paying taxes would get it, that's a very good argument for dual pricing.

Why the hell should Thais and anyone working here and paying taxes subsidise anyone else who's just flying in for cheap, subsidised medical treatment?

If unforeseen emergency treatment, that could be arguable, but choosing to fly in to take advantage of subsidised medical treatment? No way.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, mickkotlarski said:

They blatantly deny that the overpricing is racism. In their own words it is because I am a Farang.

Haha, just like the other day with the police. I didn't commit a hit and run. I only hit him and drove away. 

I'm going to make a list out of these😂

6 hours ago, Marc26 said:

As for the never-ending dual pricing complaint.............we have it in all our countries. Every country has resident pricing vs non-resident pricing

Really?  Never saw dual pricing in the EU/Europe.  The only place where I ever saw dual pricing before was when visiting museums in Russia and Ukraine. 

Thailand is really an exception here.

dual pricing is official policy in thailand,grand palace and national parks are two fine examples.

Good to see somebody standing up to it but pretty sure he will get no where.

The Dutchman may be hard headed but so are Thai officials.

10 hours ago, Bob20 said:

i hope he win the case...but does anyone remember when a falang win in a thai court  the last time ?..i cant ..and now he goes against the thai government...must be careful that they dont charge him with laise majesties or revoke his visa....thailand has a crooked thirld world country system based on rich rule - poor serve and all squeeze the falang...human rights , anti discrimination etc..etc...ah i remember these fairy tales ...even in europe they are not everywhere applied but better than in  the usa ( at least for rich whites over there ) and NEVER in los....but gd.luck anyway

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Cathat said:

dual pricing is official policy in thailand,grand palace and national parks are two fine examples.

Good to see somebody standing up to it but pretty sure he will get no where.

The Dutchman may be hard headed but so are Thai officials.

There is dual pricing all over the world 

Residents and citizens get all sort of discounts on museums, parks, transportation, ski mountains

Pick any country and I guarantee you will find instances where they have resident/city discounts at all types of attractions

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

There is dual pricing all over the world 

Residents and citizens get all sort of discounts on museums, parks, transportation, ski mountains

Pick any country and I guarantee you will find instances where they have resident/city discounts at all types of attractions

He lives and works in thailand and has been fighting the case for two years so he must be legally resident and must also have a valid work permit or he could not take the case to court.

The pricing difference appears to be based on nationality.

1 hour ago, dimitri said:

Really?  Never saw dual pricing in the EU/Europe.  The only place where I ever saw dual pricing before was when visiting museums in Russia and Ukraine. 

Thailand is really an exception here.

I agree with you ,i have never seen dual pricing in the UK, as for Thailand,maybe i cannot avoid dual pricing in hospitals, as for other venues they can stick it, i refuse to be treated that way and happy to give places a miss, they lose out not me,i will spend my money elsewhere. It's nothing to do with money i can pay but won't,it's the pure greed i cannot stand and discrimination against me as guest expat in this country.

Edited by stuhan
info
  • Like 5

20 minutes ago, stuhan said:

I agree with you ,i have never seen dual pricing in the UK, as for Thailand,maybe i cannot avoid dual pricing in hospitals, as for other venues they can stick it, i refuse to be treated that way and happy to give places a miss, they lose out not me,i will spend my money elsewhere. It's nothing to do with money i can pay but won't,it's the pure greed i cannot stand and discrimination against me as guest expat in this country.

Yet you choose to live in a country that won't grant you any status but get bent out of shape because you have to pay a 100baht more

Way to take a stand!  5555

• Like 1
  • Haha 1