News Forum - No “October reopening” plan has been approved – CCSA

Thaiger

2 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

So are you saying that Phuket's "Patient Zero Sandboxer" entered under false credentials? A more likely explanation is that he was in fact vaxxed with Sinovax, and the efficacy of that ranks alongside a chocolate fireguard for protection.

BTW, how does your system get around the need for a QR code that most vax passports and PCR tests are supplied with? I'd guess that if you tested positive after producing a faked QR code, you'd be doing your isolation in a Thai Prison.

Sorry to jump in, but even being fully vaccinated with mRNA and just 2 minutes after testing negative for a PCR test, you can pick up the virus from someone and the next PCR test will be positive.

So that's not it. 

But forgery, absolutely!

Lots of cases seen already. Places that provide them. Even members of the forum suggesting they'd use them. People in line for the jab already being given their certificate and then leaving before being jabbed. You name it and it happens already. And then the non-standard evidence given by different countries, so that will be fun when waiting in line at airport immigration when traveler numbers go up again...

They're going to have to think of other ways, because this is already unsafe.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Snotkop said:

Thank you...3 times covid 19 test is to expensive for me....and why must I stay where they tell me to stay...anyway I'll wait for next year Sept I'll see the situation in Thailand then...but not now...thanks hay....

Regarding your latest question, this is because the nominated hotels have complied with certain standards of hygiene to reduce the spread as well ensuring that at least 70% of the staff have been vaxxed.

I am not sure if this has led to them raising prices, but you can book either directly through the ASQ link, or find the same hotel on Agoda at a decent discount. I looked at the Clover Hotel which is rated 4* and it was initially  1200 per night on ASQ, but 900 on Agoda. Now both sites are advertising 900 ($30 USD/€23).

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

What a great idea! I would really love to visit Chinatown and see all those shuttered shops.

So you haven't visited Chinatown and yet assume all the shops are shuttered? I can see why you didn't fare so well in Columbia.

1 hour ago, JamesE said:

There are many motivations to travel, and many prices to pay (as your recent travelogs confirm). Some people might be interested to see what Phuket is like without 10K plus new arrivals a day. Some people might want to visit Chinatown when the streets aren't jammed with tour buses. Some people might want to visit popular temples when they're empty enough to serve the purpose for which they were built. There's a lot of different people out there with a lot of different motivations.

Very true. 

Had the good fortune to visit Koh Mook in January and kayak over to the Emerald Cave from Charlie Beach. 

In the four hours we took exploring and relaxing, there's an unbuilt upon beach just past the Emerald Cave, we saw the grand total of four other people, also on kayaks. Had the cave completely to ourselves when we got there. Screenshot_20210917_201605_com.android.gallery3d_edit_413711483029580.thumb.jpg.3ba8cd9ec585bb45cdd377a6be787632.jpgScreenshot_20210917_201417_com.android.gallery3d_edit_413698372031665.thumb.jpg.5026c854d1913f8bf19b65f1fe40c1a6.jpg

if anyone has any bucket list places to go that are normally packed now is a good time to go. 

Really cheap deals on hotels too.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, JamesE said:

So you haven't visited Chinatown and yet assume all the shops are shuttered? I can see why you didn't fare so well in Columbia.

Never been to Columbia. Have you seen the recent vids on Youtube from Phuket. Streets are pretty deserted and most of the shops are shuttered. Chinatown is such a dynamic place of interest right now, that there have been no new YT vids from there in 8 months. Recent vids of Phuket show plenty of shuttered shops. I see no reason to believe that Chinatown might be any different.

7 hours ago, Snotkop said:

I just want to visit Thailand and not quarantine...and why must we do 3 test and pay for it.....Thailand should give it free...ive been vaccinated...

You forgot to add that you would be willing to be forced into a 14 day quarantine if one of those tests comes back positive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamesE said:

There are many motivations to travel, and many prices to pay (as your recent travelogs confirm). Some people might be interested to see what Phuket is like without 10K plus new arrivals a day. Some people might want to visit Chinatown when the streets aren't jammed with tour buses. Some people might want to visit popular temples when they're empty enough to serve the purpose for which they were built. There's a lot of different people out there with a lot of different motivations.

Not two week tourists, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohninDubin said:

Never been to Columbia. Have you seen the recent vids on Youtube from Phuket. Streets are pretty deserted and most of the shops are shuttered. Chinatown is such a dynamic place of interest right now, that there have been no new YT vids from there in 8 months. Recent vids of Phuket show plenty of shuttered shops. I see no reason to believe that Chinatown might be any different.

I agree with everything you say. But, considering YT, there are no clicks from good news. Chinatown would be different because it's in Bangkok and less dependent on tourism. Maybe. I'm not 100% sure because I haven't been there since March. The whole thing is that some people might see the lack of tourists, the closed bars and nightclubs, and the challenge itself as viable reasons to go now. Others may not. But to just proclaim that it would be a horrid experience for anyone to because that's how you feel discounts how others might feel. I think it would be a great time to go to Phuket. If someone else thinks not, great for them, too. It all comes back to the motivations.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

You forgot to add that you would be willing to be forced into a 14 day quarantine if one of those tests comes back positive. 

And this is where personal responsibility meets statistics. The Sandboxers who tested positive represent 0.3% of all sandboxers. Of those, only seven tested positive on the third test. The others (a number which also rounds to 0.3%) were tested positive on arrival (36) or the first test (28). This would indicate that - statistically - they brought it with them. The big difference between the 2nd and 3rd test numbers indicates that very few people are catching it on the ground in Phuket.

• Like 1

Having worked in schools in Thailand for many years, I can see many similarities between leading a school and leading a country. It's as if no one talks with each other and organize something, but everyone does their part, and no one actually knows why they do their part and for what it is. So when they finish their part, still nothing is ready, because no one worked together. 

Btw, when I read BKK to fully reopen by October 1st I was super happy, but in the meanwhile I knew that something was gonna postpone it. Something positive can't just happen in 20/21. 

45 minutes ago, JamesE said:

I agree with everything you say. But, considering YT, there are no clicks from good news. Chinatown would be different because it's in Bangkok and less dependent on tourism. Maybe. I'm not 100% sure because I haven't been there since March. The whole thing is that some people might see the lack of tourists, the closed bars and nightclubs, and the challenge itself as viable reasons to go now. Others may not. But to just proclaim that it would be a horrid experience for anyone to because that's how you feel discounts how others might feel. I think it would be a great time to go to Phuket. If someone else thinks not, great for them, too. It all comes back to the motivations.

You are right. Generalisations are not the best way of making a point. I see that you saw my comment by way of an apology in reply to @MelBurnand responded graciously. Best wishes.

Edited by JohninDubin
  • Like 1

I see they have back tracked again about opening in October they need to think about there residents & open so they can make there money I know they wont open hospitality till maybe November but they need to open with no quarantine to get more tourists in as most tourists won't come while the quarantine period is still going on I have rebooked again for April & want to see my friends again keep up the good work paul white 

5 hours ago, JamesR said:

I don't understand why anyone is surprised. 

Add yet another disappointment to my Thai exps list.....feel like a donkey with a carrot on a stick....sigh

With travel restrictions that require multiple (and costly) PCR tests after arrival, installation of apps onto personal smartphones, mandatory (and costly) purchase of national health and travel insurance, mandatory (and costly) stays in hotels in limited locations not necessarily of interest to travelers, possible mandatory  (and costly) quarantines of travelers who were passengers on planes where others not related/connected to them arrived testing positive, continued closures of many (less costly) parts of the country to travelers, etc....  I wonder if readers might suggest a better word for your headline than "reopening."

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, JohninDubin said:

Regarding your latest question, this is because the nominated hotels have complied with certain standards of hygiene to reduce the spread as well ensuring that at least 70% of the staff have been vaxxed.

I am not sure if this has led to them raising prices, but you can book either directly through the ASQ link, or find the same hotel on Agoda at a decent discount. I looked at the Clover Hotel which is rated 4* and it was initially  1200 per night on ASQ, but 900 on Agoda. Now both sites are advertising 900 ($30 USD/€23).

The sha hotels were charging a higher rate through agoda etc.. we live here and often decide to stay a few days at a hotel here ,a guy from UK was talking to me at breakfast, he said it was cheaper than an asq hotel in bkk and was proud to say he had got a good deal of 3000 a night for him and his wife, I told him we just paid 700 a night including breakfast.. most of the hotels are starting to reduce prices as they are nowhere near the occupancy they need to cover costs due to the lower than estimated number of tourists coming.. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JohninDubin said:

Be honest John living here in patong is not the same as the tourist days. Phuket town ithough is bustling, if there is a shop that had closed then a small shop has opened outside.. most of the youtube videos are of just tourist areas of patong, but now they don't show you the updated videos.. there are a lot more people here.. Although phuket town police are more strict on bars selling alcohol the patong police have now started to turn a blind eye (tea money) to bars opening as restaurants . They are selling beer in coffee cups to the fully vaccinated tourists by fully vaccinated staff  .. yes its not the phuket with 40k visitors a day but nobody seems to film these story's now just the old videos of full lockdown are being shown. Although I don't think the police would be happy with videos being shown of the bars open 

Edited by Malc-Thai
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Malc-Thai said:

Be honest John living here in patong is not the same as the tourist days. Phuket town ithough is bustling, if there is a shop that had closed then a small shop has opened outside.. most of the youtube videos are of just tourist areas of patong, but now they don't show you the updated videos.. there are a lot more people here.. Although phuket town police are more strict on bars selling alcohol the patong police have now started to turn a blind eye (tea money) to bars opening as restaurants . They are selling beer in coffee cups to the fully vaccinated tourists by fully vaccinated staff  .. yes its not the phuket with 40k visitors a day but nobody seems to film these story's now just the old videos of full lockdown are being shown. Although I don't think the police would be happy with videos being shown of the bars open 

Ah yes! The old beer in the coffee mug ploy. Used to see a lot of that on Buddha Days in Pattaya.

• Haha 1

It looks like the CCSA needs to talk with the Health Authority before they make pronouncements and vice versa.It seems like it isn't a case of the "left hand knowing what the right hand is doing". In case it seems that the left hand doesn't know there is a right hand!!!! Scary

16 hours ago, JamesE said:

Just came back from China Town here in BKK. Over half of the shops are closed never to open again. The shops in Yawala area are no more then 40% opened.  The Mask shops are busy, but that's about it. The food carts are doing ok, not great, and there are beggars everywhere.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jwd said:

With travel restrictions that require multiple (and costly) PCR tests after arrival, installation of apps onto personal smartphones, mandatory (and costly) purchase of national health and travel insurance, mandatory (and costly) stays in hotels in limited locations not necessarily of interest to travelers, possible mandatory  (and costly) quarantines of travelers who were passengers on planes where others not related/connected to them arrived testing positive, continued closures of many (less costly) parts of the country to travelers, etc....  I wonder if readers might suggest a better word for your headline than "reopening."

Its incredible when you see it all the hurdles and challenges listed in that way. Just one of them in normal times would be enough to cause a 10%-20% reduction in tourist numbers. 

I think I spotted one you missed. Application for COE which is a two step process, the second one of which can only take place after your pre-flight PCR test (no more than 72 hours), meaning if you don’t have time to get the CoE approve, print it off (a few times) and get to the airport then you have to start again.

Can someone remind me. Do you have to arrive in Thailand no more than 72 hours after your pre-flight PCR or is that depart? If it’s depart, what if you have a long lay over on a one stop trip and you present to the gate on your second leg 73 hours after your test? I’m sure I knew all of this a few months ago, but my head is spinning with all the issues. 

7 hours ago, Soidog said:

Application for COE which is a two step process, the second one of which can only take place after your pre-flight PCR test

Ummmm... No.

It is a two step process but the preflight test is not one of the requirements - First step is to prove you are able to enter the country, then you get pre-approval. Second, is to show that you have flights, hotel, your in-country tests booked and paid for, and your vaccines (if a sandboxer). The 72-hour (before departure) test is post CoE.

Check out: https://www.tatnews.org/2021/09/initial-information-phuket-sandbox/ or

https://thaiembdc.org/phuketsandbox/ for the official requirements.

11 hours ago, JohninDubin said:

Ah yes! The old beer in the coffee mug ploy. Used to see a lot of that on Buddha Days in Pattaya.

The police must know about that ploy if the rest of the world does, so they must be paid off I suppose.

There must be a deal set up, we pay you off, we will serve beer etc in coffee mugs so you can claim you checked all the bars and saw no beer bottles been served. 

2 hours ago, JamesE said:

Ummmm... No.

It is a two step process but the preflight test is not one of the requirements - First step is to prove you are able to enter the country, then you get pre-approval. Second, is to show that you have flights, hotel, your in-country tests booked and paid for, and your vaccines (if a sandboxer). The 72-hour (before departure) test is post CoE.

Check out: https://www.tatnews.org/2021/09/initial-information-phuket-sandbox/ or

https://thaiembdc.org/phuketsandbox/ for the official requirements.

Yes thanks @JamesE  I’ve done this a couple of times now for people I know travelling back. I should have recalled that. Do you know what would happen regarding the 72 hour test if you arrive at a gate for a connecting flight after this has expired? So the scenario is this:

You get your PCR test done at 09:00 on Monday. You get your results back at 09:00 Tuesday. When does the 72 hours start? Time of test or time of result? I assume it’s time of test? So, it’s logged as 09:00 Monday. You fly out Wednesday evening (let’s say 65 hours after the Monday test. You arrive in the middle east 71 hours after your test. Wait in transit for 4 hours and present for onward leg to Thailand 75 hours after your test. Will they let you travel? 

Sorry, I’m not expecting you to know, but perhaps a member can clear up this scenario. The same goes if it’s 72 hours starting from when the hospital issue the test result. What if your connecting flight departure breaches the 72 hour rule? It’s all a bit tight it things get delayed and I certainly wouldn’t want to do this over a weekend. 

45 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Do you know what would happen regarding the 72 hour test if you arrive at a gate for a connecting flight after this has expired?

No problem. The clock is relative to your initial departure. The clock starts when they put the swab up your nose and expires 72 hours later. The Start Time is usually listed as the "Sample Collection Time" or similar. The big concern would be a delay in your departing flight but if you checked in on time I think you'd be good to go. I try to get the tests done about 2 days ahead (the place I go is 24-36 hours for results) to give me a little wiggle room.