News Forum - Bangkok Governor: NO reopening October 15 despite PM plans

Thaiger

As any well-informed reader of the news in Thailand knows, Bangkok will definitely be reopening on October 1. Also, it won’t be. It will be pushed back 2 weeks to October 15, the definitive date of Bangkok’s reopening for sure. Or… not. The Governor of Bangkok avowed today that despite the national government’s ever-changing and lofty plans, Bangkok will NOT be reopening on October 15. Maybe the Tourism and Sports Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn of 3 days ago is to be believed when he confirmed that the government is sticking to the October 1 re-opening date previously announced by the PM. […]

The post Bangkok Governor: NO reopening October 15 despite PM plans appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

14 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

As any well-informed reader of the news in Thailand knows, Bangkok will definitely be reopening on October 1. Also, it won’t be. It will be pushed back 2 weeks to October 15, the definitive date of Bangkok’s reopening for sure. Or… not. The Governor of Bangkok avowed today that despite the national government’s ever-changing and lofty plans, Bangkok will NOT be reopening on October 15. Maybe the Tourism and Sports Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn of 3 days ago is to be believed when he confirmed that the government is sticking to the October 1 re-opening date previously announced by the PM. […]

The post Bangkok Governor: NO reopening October 15 despite PM plans appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Someone owes me a fiver! 🎉 But I forgot who it was 😔

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

The Governor of Bangkok avowed today that despite the national government’s ever-changing and lofty plans, Bangkok will NOT be reopening on October 15.

So if he is THAT brave to stand up to the PM, why doesn’t he open Bars and sell alcohol in restaurants in Bangkok ….. now that would be a show of Bravery!

2 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Someone owes me a fiver! 🎉 But I forgot who it was 😔

Careful that fiver could be in the shape of a fist 🤛….. 😂😂😂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

So if he is THAT brave to stand up to the PM, why doesn’t he open Bars and sell alcohol in restaurants in Bangkok ….. now that would be a show of Bravery!

Yes, but it wouldn't go well together with NOT opening... 🥴

• Like 1

But in reality he is only Puffing his chest because of upcoming elections and he wants to get his face in all the newspapers and on TV.

The Bangkok governor election is likely to be held by October, says Election Commission (EC) secretary-general Jarungvith Phumma.

"This year is the year of elections," he said. "When the municipality elections [on March 28] are over, the Interior Ministry is expected to wait three months, so we might have the Tambon Administrative Organisation member elections in June.

"Then in September, or anyway by the end of October, there will be elections for Bangkok governor and Pattaya City chief."

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/politics/2063387/2021-the-year-of-elections

or does he want to keep the city as Dark Red so there won’t be an election.

26 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

I think that you are missing the point about why he will not be opening Bangkok it's not bravery or a show of defiance against the PM

It's to prevent the spread of covid, opening bars to soon would be counter productive

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Greeneyes said:

It's to prevent the spread of covid, opening bars to soon would be counter productive

Allowing people from Bangkok to bomb burst all over Thailand, would not you say that was counter productive? He did allow that to happen. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Allowing people from Bangkok to bomb burst all over Thailand, would not you say that was counter productive? He did allow that to happen. 

Yes so right as is apparent from all the Bangkok cars in CM now. And that falls on the false check point that does nothing, and the side roads that just bypass. It is all a joke, but no one is laughing.

1 minute ago, HolyCowCm said:

Yes so right as is apparent from all the Bangkok cars in CM now. And that falls on the false check point that does nothing, and the side roads that just bypass. It is all a joke, but no one is laughing.

I didn't see anyone at that checkpoint anymore and I don't think CM is enforcing any kind of restrictions. 

But hey 29.000 doses of vaccine will save the day for a 1.2m population.

15 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

I didn't see anyone at that checkpoint anymore and I don't think CM is enforcing any kind of restrictions. 

But hey 29.000 doses of vaccine will save the day for a 1.2m population.

29000 Sinovac to save the day. Last Saturday around 5 pm-ish they were actually standing and checking cars as I drove through. Must have been one of the token PR days.

Just now, HolyCowCm said:

29000 Sinovac to save the day. Last Saturday around 5 pm-ish they were actually standing and checking cars as I drove through. Must have been one of the token PR days.

Or they knew you were coming 😉

39 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Especially as infections were heading to single digits, it is now above 2 digits in a matter of days.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Disenfranchised said:

Especially as infections were heading to single digits, it is now above 2 digits in a matter of days.

3 digits coming soon to a town near you....

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Disenfranchised said:

😭

5 hours ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

TBF, not his choice. It's up to the governors of other provinces who they let in.

4 minutes ago, Stonker said:

It's up to the governors of other provinces who they let in.

But the provinces have got lazy since the first big lockdown we had. Now just to many holes for them to bypass entry for each province. Maybe for all it falls into the to hard category.

2 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

But the provinces have got lazy since the first big lockdown we had. Now just to many holes for them to bypass entry for each province. Maybe for all it falls into the to hard category.

Some have, some haven't. It shouldn't be up to them and obviously a central policy would be far more effective, but there are a lot of sloping shoulders around...

9 minutes ago, Stonker said:

and obviously a central policy would be far more effective,

But Thailand loves its …. Same, Same but Different … policy. It seams to work for everything.