News Forum - Thai government officials offered special promotional fares on Air Asia

Thaiger

Thai Air Asia has launched a promotional deal targeting government officials, members of the Federation of Thai Industries and the Thai Chamber of Commerce, as well as employees of state enterprises. The perks will also apply to their travel companions. The thinking behind the deal is that government officials were some of the first to be vaccinated and are not struggling financially in the way private sectors workers might be. They therefore represent an ideal target for airlines operating domestic routes, as opposed to the rest of the country, who may be trying to cope with a loss of income […]

The post Thai government officials offered special promotional fares on Air Asia appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

12 minutes ago, Griff1315 said:

Typical Thai logic give the discounts to the richest people. Who thinks of this BS.

Yes, but they area also very nice to let them take a companion who might just be their second wife, girlfriend or rental companion. Whoopie and then can make holiday whoopie.

• Haha 2

So Air Asia is kissing the butt of government. I wonder how soon it will be asking for state funding! Sure as heck it wont be getting any of my business. I will use any other airline than TAA in future.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

The perks will also apply to their travel companions.

Their wives will love that! Mistress that wife doesn’t know about …. Not so much!

Maybe they should give discount fares to all those people who booked flights and had them cancelled and had trouble contacting them  etc. Now that would be a nice PR exercise. Just dreaming 🙄

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Griff1315 said:

Typical Thai logic give the discounts to the richest people. Who thinks of this BS.

The same people that do the exact same thing in the UK, US, and anywhere else.

9 minutes ago, Stonker said:

The same people that do the exact same thing in the UK, US, and anywhere else.

Never seen an airline in the UK publishing in the media that they give preferential ticket prices to government officials. Seeing that British politicians claim everything back through massive expenses accounts I cannot see any benefit.

17 minutes ago, Griff1315 said:

Never seen an airline in the UK publishing in the media that they give preferential ticket prices to government officials. Seeing that British politicians claim everything back through massive expenses accounts I cannot see any benefit.

These sort of "perks", like free tickets to football finals or Wimbledon, free flights, free holidays, etc, are published all the time when the media find them, as long as the recipients "remember" to declare them.

If you're criticising TAA for being open and not hiding it, I can't help finding that a bit wierd 😯

31 minutes ago, Griff1315 said:

BA have a long established of "upgrading" those who might be able to help them such as MP's and sitting members of the Lords. It used to be fairly common practice for MP's secretaries to book direct with BA asking for an economy seat, and making sure that the person taking the booking was aware that it was an MP who was flying. If there was space in Business Class, an upgrade was usual.

22 minutes ago, Stonker said:

These sort of "perks", like free tickets to football finals or Wimbledon, free flights, free holidays, etc, are published all the time when the media find them, as long as the recipients "remember" to declare them.

If you're criticising TAA for being open and not hiding it, I can't help finding that a bit wierd 😯

Might be something missing in your way of thinking then don't feel weird from this end of normal thinking or just the fact you love to pick arguments you choose.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

BA have a long established of "upgrading" those who might be able to help them such as MP's and sitting members of the Lords. It used to be fairly common practice for MP's secretaries to book direct with BA asking for an economy seat, and making sure that the person taking the booking was aware that it was an MP who was flying. If there was space in Business Class, an upgrade was usual.

BA have really great service, they even cancelled peoples' bookings with Virgin Atlantic for you and rebooked them with BA.

The courts decided it wasn't a great plan though. Spoil-sports... 🤔

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Griff1315 said:

Might be something missing in your way of thinking then don't feel weird from this end of normal thinking or just the fact you love to pick arguments you choose.

Up to you - I just find it hard to understand why anyone would find something wrong with a firm being open when they give out perks.

9 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

Exactly. It's standard practice worldwide.

I can't see why anyone would criticise openness, and apparently now it's my fault pointing that out and I'm the one picking an argument 😂

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Up to you - I just find it hard to understand why anyone would find something wrong with a firm being open when they give out perks.

Exactly. It's standard practice worldwide.

I can't see why anyone would criticise openness, and apparently now it's my fault pointing that out and I'm the one picking an argument 😂

Why would a company publish its perks handed out to the rich when thousands upon thousands of normal Thai people are struggling to put food on the table. These are not normal times and  I find the morality of such companys in question along with anyone that could try to defend them. Thank you for your input.

• Like 1

Thought all government official types used tg as it is a government run flying club/circus of some kind.

Last time I was on a thai air aisa flight it was all economy class seating.

Most if not all government officials worthy of the title would not be seen dead flying economy,they are far to important for that and they would also accure zero air miles that are handy for the family holiday or shipping the Mia noi about the place.

21 minutes ago, Griff1315 said:

Why would a company publish its perks handed out to the rich when thousands upon thousands of normal Thai people are struggling to put food on the table. These are not normal times and  I find the morality of such companys in question along with anyone that could try to defend them. Thank you for your input.

Since you ask, maybe because they're being honest or, more probably, maybe because they don't want to be accused of bribery / corruption later.

Doing so "when thousands upon thousands of normal Thai people are struggling to put food on the table" would seem to make honesty  and declaring perks all the more important, not less.

Since you're questioning my "morality", how can it possibly be more morally correct for a company to hide the perks they're giving out rather than "publishing [them] in the media"?

If you disagree with the perks, fine, I can follow that although it's world-wide practice, but that's not the point you're making.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cathat said:

Thought all government official types used tg as it is a government run flying club/circus of some kind.

Last time I was on a thai air aisa flight it was all economy class seating.

Most if not all government officials worthy of the title would not be seen dead flying economy,they are far to important for that and they would also accure zero air miles that are handy for the family holiday or shipping the Mia noi about the place.

It depends on the flight / route, as TAA covers some routes TG doesn't, but these also look like discounts for private / personal flights rather than official / duty ones.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Since you ask, maybe because they're being honest or, more probably, maybe because they don't want to be accused of bribery / corruption later.

Doing so "when thousands upon thousands of normal Thai people are struggling to put food on the table" would seem to make honesty  and declaring perks all the more important, not less.

Since you're questioning my "morality", how can it possibly be more morally correct for a company to hide the perks they're giving out rather than "publishing [them] in the media"?

If you disagree with the perks, fine, I can follow that although it's world-wide practice, but that's not the point you're making.

I personally disagree with any perks for any political reasons. The politicians of the world already suck the life out of the normal people. I also find it morally unjust to advertise such perks whilst the population is suffering mostly from the decisions made by those to recieve said "perks". World wide practise probably, correct, proper and moral  no it ain't.

• Cool 1

10 hours ago, Pompies said:

So Air Asia is kissing the butt of government. I wonder how soon it will be asking for state funding! Sure as heck it wont be getting any of my business. I will use any other airline than TAA in future.

Kissing butt is a precursor to when the country has fully opened and they are the poll position f-heads. Suck a little here, take it in the rear there, and ten you are the one saying it didn't hurt as bad as I thought it would.

1 minute ago, HolyCowCm said:

Kissing butt is a precursor to when the country has fully opened and they are the poll position f-heads. Suck a little here, take it in the rear there, and then you are the one saying it didn't hurt as bad as I thought it would.

Let me rephrase in a heterosexual way. Suck a little here, take it in the rear there, and then you are the one saying it didn't hurt as bad as I thought it would.

1 hour ago, Griff1315 said:

I personally disagree with any perks for any political reasons. The politicians of the world already suck the life out of the normal people. I also find it morally unjust to advertise such perks whilst the population is suffering mostly from the decisions made by those to recieve said "perks". World wide practise probably, correct, proper and moral  no it ain't.

I can understand an aversion to the perks, but the idea that it's "morally unjust" for firms giving perks to declare them, particularly when "the population is suffering", preferring them not to be open and honest about it, is just bizarre.

I can't think of any other word for it.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Pompies said:

So Air Asia is kissing the butt of government.

Well, of government employees.

Air Asia did this several years ago with Malaysian government employees.  I remember, as I lived there at the time, thinking - "What crap, like they don't already get enough perks?"

I can't fault the business for their promotion, and for the reasons mentioned in the article...gov't employees are more likely to be vaccinated and able to travel.

If they had offered a discount to vaccinated farang, you'd hear the howling from a different segment of the population.

• Like 2