News Forum - Will it, won’t it? October re-opening in doubt as Anutin defers to medical experts

Thaiger

1 hour ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

Please, Anutin. Everyone said 1 October.

The PM said October 15 as per announced 3 months ago. Nah...it will change again on a daily basis as per "This is Thailand" attitude.

Can they stop saying reopening. Unless it's for all countries, not just the 70 currently eligible to enter under the Sandpox it's not a reopening .

30 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Even Phipat and then he doubled down on it with BKK opening the 15th.  Has Anutin been living in a cheech & Chong movie being stoned out of his mind.

Mind? They are empty heads.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Can they stop saying reopening. Unless it's for all countries, not just the 70 currently eligible to enter under the Sandpox it's not a reopening .

Just like it’s a 50% off sale this is a 50% entry one. Super special for those that want to go through all the hassle just for an alcohol free holiday.

1 hour ago, Bob20 said:

I agree that vaccinated and PCR negative tourists do not add risk.

But while we have low vaccination rates, all MOVEMENT of people spreads the virus (like Songkran). That is why the country can not reopen for Thais and foreigners. We need to restrain ourselves until most are protected by the vaccines.

After all this mess people have to realize when it failed and lost! You cannot locked a country til death only for a short time and when failed have to go forward. It is a kind of naiv to think that when people in this country with low income and often on a daily bases with a few kids at home who are hungry to make a longterm lockdown. This country is locked since march 2020 and not everybody especially can afford to stay 2 years at home! I really not understand why people cannot look out of their box and realize facts out there!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Stardust said:

After all this mess people have to realize when it failed and lost! You cannot locked a country til death only for a short time and when failed have to go forward. It is a kind of naiv to think that when people in this country with low income and often on a daily bases with a few kids at home who are hungry to make a longterm lockdown. This country is locked since march 2020 and not everybody especially can afford to stay 2 years at home! I really not understand why people cannot look out of their box and realize facts out there!

You are partially correct.

You can not lockdown 2 years.

But Thailand did not lockdown AT ALL. Always exceptions and people traveling and spreading the virus. Lockdown means NOBODY goes out. Then you control the virus.

It is the same mistake now. They opened interprovincial travel too early and now the infections are rising all over the country. And deaths will follow.

You can not open up just because it is 19 months and you are impatient now. You are not "cured" after you had a disease for some time. It has nothing to do with a time-limit. The problem won't go away until there is a remedy. Opening up will be a disaster with an explosive death count.

They need to speed up vaccinations and until that is finished there is no other option than to wait.

15 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

But Thailand did not lockdown AT ALL. Always exceptions and people traveling and spreading the virus. Lockdown means NOBODY goes out. Then you control the virus.

It is the same mistake now. They opened interprovincial travel too early and now the infections are rising all over the country. And deaths will follow.

You can not open up because it is 19 months now. It will be a disaster with an explosive death count.

They need to speed up vaccinations and until that is finished there is no other way than to wait.

Are you naiv? Did you not realize that this government not care about Thai people and only care about their own pockets and status quo? In with this facts why should your safety be more important than the empty bellies of the children? Did you not realize how many people and children live in poverty in this country. And do you not realized that this government will give a damn about it? Can they wait til there is a new government who will care and is has some competence to manage the covid crises?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

You can not open up because it is 19 months now. It will be a disaster with an explosive death count.

They need to speed up vaccinations and until that is finished there is no other way than to wait.

While I don't agree at all with lockdowns, there is a logical, if inhumane, argument that everyone should have been locked down instantly 24x7 until there was a treatment that would provide immunity.

Yet what happened

Partial Lockdowns were completely oxymoronic and did not provide any quantifiable benefit

We still don't have a treatment that provides immunity.

What was the point of all these restrictions?

So what is your suggestion moving forward?

More of the same, or accept that this misguided response utterly failed and that it pointlessly  destroyed lives and livehoods, and we reopen completely and immediately and focus resources and support on the elderly and people with other medical issues?

If you are not yet vaccinated, will you continue to voluntarily lockdown after the 15th? 

I think the the pro-lockdown people should be ashamed as they are partially complicit in pointless destruction that we have seen over the last two years. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Stardust said:

Are you naiv? Did you not realize that this government not care about Thai people and only care about their own pockets and status quo? In with this facts why should your safety be more important than the empty bellies of the children? Did you not realize how many people and children live in poverty in this country. And do you not realized that this government will give a damn about it? Can they wait til there is a new government who will care and is has some competence to manage the covid crises?

I am assured by everyone around me, and by plenty of people in the forum too, that the Thai are not letting anyone die of hunger. That is not how society works here.

But spreading the virus through the country will DEFINITELY cause MANY sick and dead.

The ones that want to open up and travel will cause the misery.

After 19 month, one or two more months to get to safety is better than to panic and cause an explosion of sickness and deaths that will then happen for sure.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

I am assured by everyone around me, and by plenty of people in the forum too, that the Thai are not letting anyone die of hunger. That is not how society works here.

But spreading the virus through the country will DEFINITELY cause MANY sick and dead.

The ones that want to open up and travel will cause the misery.

After 19 month, one or two more months to get to safety is better than to panic and cause an explosion of sickness and deaths that will then happen for sure.

You really don't know about the reality of the conditions of many Thai families. You should just one week live in their conditions in a room where up to 7 family members live and put you in an lockdown and your daily business is locked and have a few kids. I don't know if you are naiv or selfish?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Stardust said:

I read a study how this handsanitizer destroy your imun system and were warning for big flu waves and the peoples imun systems down will strugle or even can die of it. This report  was a year ago.

I read a study that said the opposite. So there you go.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Stardust said:

You really don't know about the reality of the conditions of many Thai families. You should just one week live in their conditions in a room where up to 7 family members live and put you in an lockdown and your daily business is locked and have a few kids. I don't know if you are naiv or selfish?

And you propose to open up unsafely, so next month perhaps there are only 5 in that room and they buried 2.

Very caring...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Backpedalers is a nice way to put it. Dishonest Nincompoops is another. But all they care about is that they have controlled the virus amongst themselves as they are all fully jab juiced up and safe as a baby being held by its momma while they suckle the money booby.

A picture of uncle peanut sucking a boob stuff nightmares are made of.

30 minutes ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

I read a study that said the opposite. So there you go.

Ok show me I am interested to read it.

26 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

And you propose to open up unsafely, so next month perhaps there are only 5 in that room and they buried 2.

Very caring...

I guess you have no children. Ok tell me why should your safety more important for this people than to feed their family and loose thier busjness and existance which they feed their family. To make it a better understanding for you to care for their family and especially will be number 1. You must be living in a bubble not to understand the conditions many families in Thailand are living. And you really dont know anything how it is for the families to live in one room with many kids and schools are closed and no job and business anymore. Do you know that many families not can buy their kids lap tops for online schools and have money for a few kids for the online school. To view the things from a privileged lifestyle who can afford to live in a lockdown in a big condo without children and expect all live in the same condition is a kind of naive or to think your safety should be more important than the life of their children.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Stardust said:

I guess you have no children. Ok tell me why should your safety more important for this people than to feed their family and loose thier busjness and existance which they feed their family. To make it a better understanding for you to care for their family and especially will be number 1. You must be living in a bubble not to understand the conditions many families in Thailand are living. And you really dont know anything how it is for the families to live in one room with many kids and schools are closed and no job and business anymore. Do you know that many families not can buy their kids lap tops for online schools and have money for a few kids for the online school. To view the things from a privileged lifestyle who can afford to live in a lockdown in a big condo without children and expect all live in the same condition is a kind of naive or to think your safety should be more important than the life of their children.

Nicely deflected 🤭

I know the situation very well.

But you place the interests of a few above the interests of the many. And that is not how society works.

You think it's okay to spread the virus and make more victims elsewhere as long as your family is okay. But that can only be justified as absolute last resort in "survive or die" mode.

For now, people can keep their families safe. Yes, with less than they are used to, and some in really difficult circumstances. But not so difficult that they should directly endanger others.

• Like 1

"A high mortality rate in elderly people with COVID-19 infection in Thailand

An analysis of people who died because of COVID-19 in the week leading up to 18th August
showed that 63% of all deaths occurred in people aged 60 and above, although people of this
age constituted only 10% of the COVID-19 infections. The analysis also showed that the case
fatality rate among people aged 60 and above was 6%, whereas among those less than 60, it
was only 0.42%. Another way of describing this situation, is that the likelihood of someone
aged 60 and over dying of COVID-19 was 14 times higher than for someone below 60"

https://cdn.who.int/media/docs/default-source/searo/thailand/2021_08_19_eng-sitrep-197-covid19.pdf?sfvrsn=ec61b9e1_5

https://www.who.int/thailand/emergencies/novel-coronavirus-2019/situation-reports

I have also read that about 12200 out of those 14000+ deaths had other illnesses. In other words protect the elderly and the weak and that is it.

One out of 240 infected under 60 dies (most are 50-60) and even that is very low. That ratio is even lower to healthy individuals and young adults,  one out of 2000 easily.

After that 19th of August report they dropped any remarks about age because they know this does not affect much people under 40. Smallish impact in the 40-59 age cohort.

1 minute ago, Bob20 said:

Nicely deflected 🤭

I know the situation very well.

But you place the interests of a few above the interests of the many. And that is not how society works.

You think it's okay to spread the virus and make more victims elsewhere as long as your family is okay. But that can only be justified as absolute last resort in "survive or die" mode.

For now, people can keep their families safe. Yes, with less than they are used to, and some in really difficult circumstances. But not so difficult that they should directly endanger others.

Ok how many kids died from covid? Why should the majority sacrifice their existence and who will care for their families. I really guess you never had children because for parents or people have to feed families understand that but you are completly living in your bubble and able to look out of your box. What you write sounds like a selfish person and think himself is most important and others should sacriface their existence for it and the children too.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

I thought they'd have more prisoners in Thailand 🙄

I could say … see what thought did … but I won’t …..

that’s just the daily intake of prisoners that will get Covid in the next 14 days.