News Forum - ICC opens investigation into Philippines President Duterte

Thaiger

Draconian laws in the Philippines’s war on drugs may be catching up with President Rodrigo Duterte as the International Criminal Court just approved a formal investigation into possible crimes against humanity under his regime. The ICC reviewed materials and announced the decision to pursue Duterte yesterday. Judges have approved the request by prosecutors to look into possible crimes against humanity charges involving murders as part of Duterte’s war on drugs. Their analysis categorized his campaign as a systematic attack on civilians and said that it cannot be seen as a legitimate law enforcement operation, after viewing materials the prosecutors presented […]

The post ICC opens investigation into Philippines President Duterte appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I once saw military trucks on the street looking for people on drugs. Turns out I was just having psychosis from the hospital meds. Lucky me. Some of the poorest people in the philippines must have experienced exactly that under Duterte. Only without waking up from their drug induced trip ever again. 

The philippines is known for being inhumane to anyone with mental illness. I don't doubt for a second that they've not only killed children and minor drug users but a lot of them would have been mentally ill or disabled people. Similar to Nazi Germany. I've seen videos of their own family putting them on chains and into cages, when simple medication would have been enough to treat them. Instead they're being immobilized like Jesus on a cross.

Now that I think about it, I'll refuse to ever go on a holiday in this country until things become better. If I want to surf inside plastic trash I'd rather choose Bali.

24 minutes ago, MikeW said:

But the ICC won't or can't investigate the Chinese president or the ruler of North Korea, Iran, Myanmar and the list goes on 

In order to investigate a country, it has to be a member/signatory to the ICC. Phils was but when the ICC announced that it was investigating Duterte Harry, they withdrew from the org. But the ICC has jurisdiction to investigate all allegations made against him prior to that withdrawal.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

In order to investigate a country, it has to be a member/signatory to the ICC. Phils was but when the ICC announced that it was investigating Duterte Harry, they withdrew from the org. But the ICC has jurisdiction to investigate all allegations made against him prior to that withdrawal.

They might have jurisdiction to investigate that time frame, but they no longer have jurisdiction to do so from inside the Philippines. It makes a difference. They also now lack the power to punish him. Regardless the Philippine people love the guy and the majority of them support his policy. Isn't he now running for vice president of the Philippines? Think of it as when Medvedev became president of Russia and Putin became PM. Hate to say, but the guy is going to skate on this.   

• Like 1

Ya gotta wonder where these investigative bodies get their marching orders from.

How many deaths occur as a result of drugs as opposed to methods in controlling it!

• Like 1

On 9/16/2021 at 11:16 PM, EdwardV said:

They also now lack the power to punish him.

Sounds like a Thai police investigation into corruption and very bad Thai Policemen doing very bad things. The laws are there, just struggle to use them.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, riclag said:

Ya gotta wonder where these investigative bodies get their marching orders from.

How many deaths occur as a result of drugs as opposed to methods in controlling it!

That’s a great question. I wonder that about so many liberal and woke agendas that seem to be driving most western governments these days. While the Chinese are planning 10 and 20 year strategic plans, with trillions of dollars worth of infrastructure and technological developments, Western 4 year governments debate Tampon taxes and hedgehogs for months at a time. I don’t know who is setting these agendas and it’s the same for international bodies like the ICC. Basically they are being used as political tools disguised as morally upstanding institutions. 

• Like 2

I spent quite a bit of time on Boracay, Samar (after the hurricane) and in Manila. I find the people most kind and feel the direction it's gone politically doesn't do them any favours. But that's not just in the Philippines 🤔

Let's see what Pacquiao brings to the table at the elections.

Apparently we don't need politicians with any knowledge anymore. Popularity and money will get you everywhere nowadays.