Food and drinks to stay away from in Thailand

Thaiger

Due to its distinct and strong flavours, Thai food is one of the greatest cuisines in the world. Delicious food is everywhere in the country. From street food and night markets to food courts and restaurants, almost every corner of the country presents opportunities to sample delectable cuisine. That being said, there are some food you might want to avoid. Some are dangerous for your health, while others pose negative environmental impacts. Some of the following cuisines are bizarre, but be sure to remain respectful when you come across them. After all, many people eat them, motivated by tradition and […]

The post Food and drinks to stay away from in Thailand appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

Something a lil suspicious about this article.

I was just spamming one of my blonde farang friends with an article almost identical but written by a blonde girl. I was telling him this is the list for him and his scared of everything sensibilities. I suspect a little bit of plagiarism going on.

https://theculturetrip.com/asia/thailand/articles/12-things-not-to-eat-or-drink-in-thailand/

That said, i eat all of these any time they are served and have no problem at all.

Only one time i got sick off some beef naem. I knew better and ate it anyway. Lost a few kilos on the toilet, but life goes on... Haha

• 3 months later...

I didn't know that about horseshoe crab. I saw a few food YouTube shoes that had horseshoe crab dishes - don't remember if they were just roe. 

On 1/13/2022 at 12:51 PM, Vince said:

I didn't know that about horseshoe crab. I saw a few food YouTube shoes that had horseshoe crab dishes - don't remember if they were just roe. 

Horseshoe crab is very popular in Chumphon, always in the fresh markets in Thung wa laen area.

3 minutes ago, spicy_girl said:

Horseshoe crab is very popular in Chumphon, always in the fresh markets in Thung wa laen area.

The article says it's poisonous if prepared improperly. Are they cooked? 

On 1/16/2022 at 12:19 PM, Vince said:

The article says it's poisonous if prepared improperly. Are they cooked? 

Certain parts of all crabs can be toxic due their environment and I believe it may be the gills of horseshoe crabs which have inadvertently been eaten in some instances.  The gills act like a filter and can trap nasties which prove harmful to us.

Interestingly, Sonny Side did a Vn segment featuring the blue blood of this crab as food, yet it's also a source of intense medical research for a variety of uses.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

• 5 months later...