News Forum - Pattaya reopening likely to snub nightlife, favor other attractions

Thaiger

While Pattaya and indeed the rest of Thailand are struggling to figure out when and how they will really be able to reopen for international tourism, it looks likely that when Pattaya does reopen the entertainment and nightlife the city is famous for may not be open. As reopening comes into sight welcoming back international travellers that would be free to roam for the first time since the early months of 2020, officials in Chon Buri have not made any concrete plans about reopening the bars and nightclubs that attract a huge chunk of Pattaya’s visitors. The Phuket Sandbox has entered its […]

The post Pattaya reopening likely to snub nightlife, favor other attractions appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Great plan! Another winner.

And open Ao Nang for everything but the beach.

And open SoiCowboy for everything but the club's.

And open the temples for anything but religion.

That'll work! 

Keep 'm coming!

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

Then they should start to stop pump all the garbage and waste water into the sea and beaches there. Which tourist like to swim between shit and used condoms and brown water? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think opening bars now will be the best thing to do. This will show if theres going to be any rise in infection within the local population before they open to tourists. Btw i dont drink, but going to these areas without the nightlife is taking away a lot of the magic of Thailand for a lot of tourists. Get rid of the mountain of paperwork as well would help.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Burapha said:

I think opening bars now will be the best thing to do. This will show if theres going to be any rise in infection within the local population before they open to tourists. Btw i dont drink, but going to these areas without the nightlife is taking away a lot of the magic of Thailand for a lot of tourists. Get rid of the mountain of paperwork as well would help.

Yes, the hospitals are nearly full, so let's infect lots more.

Party time guys! 🎉🎉🎉

• Haha 3

Just how many times are we meant to visit these “cultural experiences”  we’ve all visited them. Once you’ve seen them you don’t need to visit them again. What else are we meant to do when we visit Thailand numerous times each year if they move away from having nightlife 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob20 said:

Great plan! Another winner.

And open Ao Nang for everything but the beach.

And open SoiCowboy for everything but the club's.

And open the temples for anything but religion.

That'll work! 

Keep 'm coming!

Yeah that's right! And lets' open up parliament without anyone in it. Well on second thought I guess that wouldn't really matter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I've been visiting Pattaya since 2006, and in more recent years, I've been seeing a damping down of "what made Pattaya famous". If I were to describe my activities on my visits, I would call myself a "Soi7/8 lurker".

Over that period, I've noticed that many of what used to be my regular watering holes, are no longer open and have been converted into restos, mini-markets etc.  Like many, I found these spots also were good for people watching. On more recent visits, I've seen the watched people change from hardcore mongers to Chinese and Indians wandering around in groups, not partaking of the multitude of bars that are available. I don't doubt that the Indians are there for mongering, but they have an extremely poor reputation among the working girls. Elsewhere on this forum, I've followed the thread of TH wanting to attract up-scale foreigners. 

Regardless of whether tourism in Pattaya might be seen as a "national disgrace", I think those in the sex industry there, if asked, would be seeking would be seeking for more upscale mongers. My own judgement is that Pattaya is in slow terminal decline. I am not advocating for the re-opening of the bars. I cancelled a trip to Phuket when it became obvious that the bars were not going to open there, but when you see what happened in Samui when they operated their Sandbox scheme (Black Bamboo), with the benefit of hindsight, I think Phuket got that one right.

However, I will say this: The longer Pattaya keeps it's bars closed, the faster that terminal decline I spoke about will occur. There are reasonable alternatives to Pattaya and TH so it will not be the end of the world if this happens, but right now based on my epiphany regarding Phuket-v-Samui, I think public health has to be the only criteria for when to re-open the nightlife in Pattaya and elsewhere. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A report in the independent the other day about countries that will stay on the UK red list included Thailand.The independent data analyst and travel expert! wrote that they could not remove Thailand because they "haven't provide sufficient data" and they will have to do more Genome sequencing.What are the chances of that happening? Nobody from the UK will get travel insurance untill Thailand is off the red list.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yselmike said:

A report in the independent the other day about countries that will stay on the UK red list included Thailand.The independent data analyst and travel expert! wrote that they could not remove Thailand because they "haven't provide sufficient data" and they will have to do more Genome sequencing.What are the chances of that happening? Nobody from the UK will get travel insurance untill Thailand is off the red list.

Yes I’m afraid that’s right. I understand a key parameter is the test to infection ratio. They seem to be working to WHO guidelines of 5%. So if Thailand is testing 40,000 a day and finding anymore than 2,000 cases then it breaks that rule. It’s not an absolute go/no go as other aspects such as vaccination rates and other measure are taken in to account. However, today’s figures of 13,000+ means the rate is 32%. No way will that be allowed. Serbia is 24% and they’ve already said they will remain on the red list. 
The Thais can fool themselves by reducing testing rates and making it look like things are getting better. But the rest of the world aren’t so gullible. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Yes I’m afraid that’s right. I understand a key parameter is the test to infection ratio. They seem to be working to WHO guidelines of 5%. So if Thailand is testing 40,000 a day and finding anymore than 2,000 cases then it breaks that rule. It’s not an absolute go/no go as other aspects such as vaccination rates and other measure are taken in to account. However, today’s figures of 13,000+ means the rate is 32%. No way will that be allowed. Serbia is 24% and they’ve already said they will remain on the red list. 
The Thais can fool themselves by reducing testing rates and making it look like things are getting better. But the rest of the world aren’t so gullible. 

One small thing: WHO guidelines are about random testing. Here it isn't...

1 hour ago, JohninDubin said:

However, I will say this: The longer Pattaya keeps it's bars closed, the faster that terminal decline I spoke about will occur. There are reasonable alternatives to Pattaya and TH so it will not be the end of the world if this happens, but right now based on my epiphany regarding Phuket-v-Samui, I think public health has to be the only criteria for when to re-open the nightlife in Pattaya and elsewhere. 

Yes spot on assessment and comments there. I’d go as far as to say I’ve seen the decline you refer to in nightlife in many places. Nana Plaza and soi 4 showed how little they understand the selling points of those areas when they placed a roof on the Plaza and removed all the ground floor central shabby bars. Now you sit there with an echo and all the central bars being the same. Soi 4 really messed up when they bulldozed Golden Bar and replaced it with Hooters. Fu*kin Hooters, I ask you! And don’t even get me started on the way they ruined Big Dogs which is my favourite people watching spot 😢

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

One small thing: WHO guidelines are about random testing. Here it isn't...

Yes that’s true @Bob20  However, I’d say that counts even more against them likely to be moved off the red list. Targeted testing will always result in higher positive tests, but little or no random testing means you have no idea what is going on elsewhere. Best keep it red for now…

1 minute ago, Soidog said:

Yes that’s true @Bob20  However, I’d say that counts even more against them likely to be moved off the red list. Targeted testing will always result in higher positive tests, but little or no random testing means you have no idea what is going on elsewhere. Best keep it red for now…

Oh absolutely. Just saying the number we see is not what the WHO uses.

• Like 1

what ever they decide the paramount must be the safety and health of locals and tourists, i do not believe the present conditions should allow to reopen what we can call super spreader event or spot. bars and discotheques will allow the virus to spread at high speed. However there is no doubt we will have to live with, going for vacations and come back sick might not be a good option . Logic should be peoples won t travel before a cure does exist or a cure which does limit the covid's effect to a simple flu ....... not sure this will happen.

so reopening mass tourist as it was will be still a high risk, as far as i read , the vaccine is not the whole solution, masks, behaviour and so on ...  may remain for quite some times. I not see myself going to pattaya in bar with mask and respecting social distancing lol .... so yes  a different kind of tourism may take place, but really i do not believe this new sort of tourism will bring the same amount of devises that the old fashion way did. Hence the number of jobless peoples will increase exponentially with an impact on safety and security ..... 

so could it be the best way so far is wait for better days before reopening the night life venues which is, and we must be honest about it, if not the heart of thai tourism, a big part of it. In all case it will be hard to re-start the engine and get full power. What i do know is many friends are struggling to survive, hence, covid started to touch their family making things even worse. I feel as Thai peoples  start only to be scared of covid. I don t think most of Thai peoples want see a mass of foreigner coming back and make everything worse.

so who really wants to reopen night life venues?????????????????

2 minutes ago, pascal said:

what ever they decide the paramount must be the safety and health of locals and tourists, i do not believe the present conditions should allow to reopen what we can call super spreader event or spot. bars and discotheques will allow the virus to spread at high speed. However there is no doubt we will have to live with, going for vacations and come back sick might not be a good option . Logic should be peoples won t travel before a cure does exist or a cure which does limit the covid's effect to a simple flu ....... not sure this will happen.

so reopening mass tourist as it was will be still a high risk, as far as i read , the vaccine is not the whole solution, masks, behaviour and so on ...  may remain for quite some times. I not see myself going to pattaya in bar with mask and respecting social distancing lol .... so yes  a different kind of tourism may take place, but really i do not believe this new sort of tourism will bring the same amount of devises that the old fashion way did. Hence the number of jobless peoples will increase exponentially with an impact on safety and security ..... 

so could it be the best way so far is wait for better days before reopening the night life venues which is, and we must be honest about it, if not the heart of thai tourism, a big part of it. In all case it will be hard to re-start the engine and get full power. What i do know is many friends are struggling to survive, hence, covid started to touch their family making things even worse. I feel as Thai peoples  start only to be scared of covid. I don t think most of Thai peoples want see a mass of foreigner coming back and make everything worse.

so who really wants to reopen night life venues?????????????????

Some really good points there @pascal  we all want to see life return to normal (not new normal!). However, we have tolerated this situation for 20 months now. I think another 3-6 in order to vaccinate more and hopefully see this virus future mutations being less lethal  is worth the wait. I’m not in my 30’s anymore and so life is ticking by faster than ever before. But I can wait another 12 months if it means myself and those around me are less likely to suffer illness and even premature death. 

It will be very interesting to see how Thailand recovers from this situation. With good governance (I know, I know), and a well thought out strategy, it’s an opportunity for Thailand to tilt away from such a large percentage of it foreign income coming tourism. 

12 minutes ago, Soidog said:

And don’t even get me started on the way they ruined Big Dogs which is my favourite people watching spot

What did they do to Big Dogs? When over there in the area or having friends visit from the US I would always go there and sit and watch everything going on. Best seat in the house, especially watching all the Gals, lady boys and workers and the people and freaks going in to work or to have some fun. It was or is my absolute favorite spot to sit and drink. I can't even begin to count the times I have sat there. Has its own bathroom too.

19 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Soi 4 really messed up when they bulldozed Golden Bar and replaced it with Hooters. Fu*kin Hooters,

Hooters is a joke. That used to be one of the most jumping places to sit and drink at anytime of the day into the wee late night. What was Nana hotel thinking on that?

38 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Hooters is a joke. That used to be one of the most jumping places to sit and drink at anytime of the day into the wee late night. What was Nana hotel thinking on that?

Yes agreed. It was a bar where you could drink without too much hassle from the girls and convenient for the Nana Burger van😂

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

What did they do to Big Dogs? When over there in the area or having friends visit from the US I would always go there and sit and watch everything going on. Best seat in the house, especially watching all the Gals, lady boys and workers and the people and freaks going in to work or to have some fun. It was or is my absolute favorite spot to sit and drink. I can't even begin to count the times I have sat there. Has its own bathroom too.

Well it’s not as bad as what they’ve done to Golden bar. It was “upgraded” three of so years ago. They messed around with the seating and did something to the bar where you rest your feet. They also “cleaned it up” which took away some of its shabby charm. I like having to lift my feet occasionally to allow the passing rats to get by 😂😂 It’s still my favourite for the reasons you say. Action starts around 4pm when the ice man delivers bags and bags of ice to all the bars in the plaza. Then as the sun sets and the food stalls set up, the girls and ladyboys arrive on the motorbike taxis and the vibe gets going. You can also observe the fiasco of Nana security men checking ID’s 😂😂😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It appears to me that there was a deliberate sabotage of the tourism industry here. And if that is the case, the most likely reason is to eliminate the nightlife. No doubt the fake puritan leaders consider it offensive. 

But what is a tourist destination without nightlife? 

The dreaming continues. These ministries consider Thailand to be the center of the universe. The world cannot live without Thailand. The level of superiority within Thailand and Thai society on so many levels is obvious. The world sees that, right?

No. Wrong. The world can live without that which Thailand has to offer. And the world is a different place, post Covid. Tourism was already in decline here based on occupancy levels over the past several years, and declining tourism income, despite higher arrivals. Now? The industry will be decimated for a long time to come.

Trillions of dollars have been invested  in tourism infrastructure, with the faith and the hope that should anything terrible happen, the government would be there, they would step in and they would do something to assist and to help both Thais and international companies that have invested vast amounts of money.  Instead what are they getting? Absolutely nothing, sheer timidity and an extreme and pathetic lack of courage and a do nothing attitude.

Edited by dmacarelli
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, dmacarelli said:

It appears to me that there was a deliberate sabotage of the tourism industry here. And if that is the case, the most likely reason is to eliminate the nightlife. No doubt the fake puritan leaders consider it offensive. 

But what is a tourist destination without nightlife? 

The dreaming continues. These ministries consider Thailand to be the center of the universe. The world cannot live without Thailand. The level of superiority within Thailand and Thai society on so many levels is obvious. The world sees that, right?

No. Wrong. The world can live without that which Thailand has to offer. And the world is a different place, post Covid. Tourism was already in decline here based on occupancy levels over the past several years, and declining tourism income, despite higher arrivals. Now? The industry will be decimated for a long time to come.

Trillions of dollars have been invested  in tourism infrastructure, with the faith and the hope that should anything terrible happen, the government would be there, they would step in and they would do something to assist and to help both Thais and international companies that have invested vast amounts of money.  Instead what are they getting? Absolutely nothing, sheer timidity and an extreme and pathetic lack of courage and a do nothing attitude.

What Pattaya needs is more open air spaces not more covered or indoor bars/GC/gogo's/malls/clubs.The reason I say that is for the last four years of the twenty odd years that I have been visiting,not this year obviously.it's been noticeable hotter in jan-feb than I can remember and drier.The future is on hold for the whole planet and there will be casualties and winners and losers.Nothing will be the same when this pandemic is over any plans we have are now just wishful thinking.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1