News Forum - Bali eyes wealthy tourists, while considering a ban on backpackers

Thaiger

39 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

I'm not into the woke bs either, but taking a group of people and say only these specific people may not come in, is actual discrimination 😂

At least I know the right words for it. Those woke people would call it racism without thinking, as if 'backpacker' is a race. Or sexism, because some may identify as backpacker. 

Yes, and discrimination is good. I am very discriminating. For example, I won't let just anyone into my house. 

Rich tourist with spending power will only benefit the big organisations and set ups. For example, staying with 4-5star hotels, eating in established restaurants, private car or limo hire, fly business class and take full service flights, etc.  On the other hand backpackers, will help support ailing small inns and hostels, street eateries, local tuk tuks and taxis, and fly on budget flights, etc. I might be stereotyping here but rich tourist are press for time will travel at shorter period of time, while backpackers tend to have a longer extended stay. Do backpackers spend more with this prolong period over shorter rich tourist? I don't think so.

Wealth discriminatory tourist attraction will not help support the true local small business. This will only encourage wider inequality in the income gap. The mid to bottom will not benefit from this initiative. It's the rich for the rich again. You scratch my back, I scratch yours.  

1 minute ago, HiuMak said:

Rich tourist with spending power will only benefit the big organisations and set ups. For example, staying with 4-5star hotels, eating in established restaurants, private car or limo hire, fly business class and take full service flights, etc.  On the other hand backpackers, will help support ailing small inns and hostels, street eateries, local tuk tuks and taxis, and fly on budget flights, etc. I might be stereotyping here but rich tourist are press for time will travel at shorter period of time, while backpackers tend to have a longer extended stay. Do backpackers spend more with this prolong period over shorter rich tourist? I don't think so.

Wealth discriminatory tourist attraction will not help support the true local small business. This will only encourage wider inequality in the income gap. The mid to bottom will not benefit from this initiative. It's the rich for the rich again. You scratch my back, I scratch yours.  

I think you are partially correct.

I make the conscious choice to support small local businesses.

But I'm fooling myself a bit, because the larger businesses employ and pay Thais too... Same with the big hotels and the airlines. 

Like with everything, this should not be a matter of excluding or promoting a group. You can't upgrade all 1* hostels to cater for the wealthy, and you can't reduce the price of all 5* hotels to make them affordable for backpackers.

Everything can coexist to cater for everyone. The variety is the spice of life!

And if I were a country wanting to re-attract people after a very difficult time, I'd take everything I could get instead of announcing plans that will put-off some!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

I think you are partially correct.

I make the conscious choice to support small local businesses.

But I'm fooling myself a bit, because the larger businesses employ and pay Thais too... Same with the big hotels and the airlines. 

Like with everything, this should not be a matter of excluding or promoting a group. You can't upgrade all 1* hostels to cater for the wealthy, and you can't reduce the price of all 5* hotels to make them affordable for backpackers.

Everything can coexist to cater for everyone. The variety is the spice of life!

And if I were a country wanting to re-attract people after a very difficult time, I'd take everything I could get instead of announcing plans that will put-off some!

I agree with your points and that is why i advocate all tourists instead of banning backpackers. Rich tourists are important and will push the economy faster and forward, but let's not forget the backpackers. They bring different moods, colours, diversity and support the larger community of businesses. 

On 9/16/2021 at 1:11 PM, Thaiger said:

Travellers visiting Bali on a budget may have to haul their backpacks elsewhere if one Indonesian government official gets his way. Luhut Binsar Pandjaitan, who serves as the country’s Maritime and Investment Coordinator Minister, has put forward a controversial proposal to ban backpackers from Bali once the hugely popular tourist island re-opens. His comments are captured in a Bali Sun report, in which the minister says the island will instead market itself to more affluent visitors. He was speaking during a recent visit to the island. “We’ll aim for quality tourism in Bali, so we won’t allow backpackers to enter […]

The post Bali eyes wealthy tourists, while considering a ban on backpackers appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Great news to prevent the entry of backpackers. Good luck with discrimination claims. Not all so called wealthy people will use limos and stay at 4.5 star hotels, they are wealthy because they are smart with their money. Most people travel to Bali primarily for the culture and it is relatively inexpensive.

Can't wait for the border to open, not a backpacker and not wealthy, bring it on.