News Forum - Bali eyes wealthy tourists, while considering a ban on backpackers

Thaiger

Travellers visiting Bali on a budget may have to haul their backpacks elsewhere if one Indonesian government official gets his way. Luhut Binsar Pandjaitan, who serves as the country’s Maritime and Investment Coordinator Minister, has put forward a controversial proposal to ban backpackers from Bali once the hugely popular tourist island re-opens. His comments are captured in a Bali Sun report, in which the minister says the island will instead market itself to more affluent visitors. He was speaking during a recent visit to the island. “We’ll aim for quality tourism in Bali, so we won’t allow backpackers to enter […]

The post Bali eyes wealthy tourists, while considering a ban on backpackers appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

Total Khrapp story. The Bali Minister wants to introduce a 5 year digital nomad Visa, and crack down on those people who use a Tourist Visa to stay for 3-4 months working, but claiming to be a 'backpacker'. Same sheite as being introduced in Thailand. About the same cost too - $140,000 USD in bonds for a 5 years Visa with limited restrictions.  Looks like they are all going after the 'digital nomads' making money through online grifting about tourist locations - not too soon either. I wonder if all those Thailand based youtubers spruiking about where they are or have been, and getting paid for that, realise that they are going to be targeted and will be required to pay taxes on the money paid to them by Google/Youtube (and all money given to them by anyone else) while they are 'working' in Thailand or any other country. Same for all those others working 'from home' as such, but based in Thailand or Bali or wherever - they are going to tax you if they can.

• Like 3

How do you ban backpackers? It’s a fine enough idea but I don’t see how it’s workable. You have to drive up the cost of a trip and that means restricting supply. Tough trick to pull off for sure. You could easily kill the golden goose at the same time. undoubtedly you would hurt locals as much as anyone else. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, EdwardV said:

Tough trick to pull off for sure. You could easily kill the golden goose at the same time. undoubtedly you would hurt locals as much as anyone else. 

And just think, really who made Bali what it is … Backpackers. They now will find somewhere else to go and make famous, and leave Bali to the eruptions of a volcano. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I will dust off my fake Louis Vuitton suitcase and pack my Dolce & Gabbana suit I got made up in Pattaya. Put on my fake Prada tshirt, the fake Billabong shorts, the 99baht Havaianas, slip on the fake Rolex and I will be good to go.

Living it up. First class.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

TAB.

They have a hotline with TAT

Ohhhh, can we have a list of Tourism Authorities? Please??

I'll start:

TAT

TAB

TAV

TAL

TAC

TAC

TAM

TAS

29 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

I will dust off my fake Louis Vuitton suitcase and pack my Dolce & Gabbana suit I got made up in Pattaya. Put on my fake Prada tshirt, the fake Billabong shorts, the 99baht Havaianas, slip on the fake Rolex and I will be good to go.

Living it up. First class.

Dont go out walking by yourself late at night with all that gear on mate 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Ohhhh, can we have a list of Tourism Authorities? Please??

I'll start:

TAT

TAB

TAV

TAL

TAC

TAC

TAM

TAS

What about Philippines?  Or this that another TAT for TATP?

48 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

And just think, really who made Bali what it is … Backpackers. They now will find somewhere else to go and make famous, and leave Bali to the eruptions of a volcano. 

Yeah, those ingrate ministers.

• Like 1

Since we are now increasingly slithering in a world where there will be only the very few wealthy and the vast majority of poor, with no middle class left, there will be an awful lot of holiday destinations with very few able to afford them. Most countries that relied heavily on tourists to sustain their economy will now have to look for other sources of income.

1 minute ago, Donald said:

Since we are now increasingly slithering in a world where there will be only the very few wealthy and the vast majority of poor, with no middle class left, there will be an awful lot of holiday destinations with very few able to afford them. Most countries that relied heavily on tourists to sustain their economy will now have to look for other sources of income.

They definitely do need to up their game.

But from Western countries people have actually saved up in Covid time. Also the middle classes. Bank balances have gone up and spending has gone down. And there, unlike here, a lot of Covid-aid was paid out.

I think tourism will have a slow restart, and travelers will be far more picky than before.

And more careful with their health...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AussieBob said:

Total Khrapp story. The Bali Minister wants to introduce a 5 year digital nomad Visa, and crack down on those people who use a Tourist Visa to stay for 3-4 months working, but claiming to be a 'backpacker'. Same sheite as being introduced in Thailand. About the same cost too - $140,000 USD in bonds for a 5 years Visa with limited restrictions.  Looks like they are all going after the 'digital nomads' making money through online grifting about tourist locations - not too soon either. I wonder if all those Thailand based youtubers spruiking about where they are or have been, and getting paid for that, realise that they are going to be targeted and will be required to pay taxes on the money paid to them by Google/Youtube (and all money given to them by anyone else) while they are 'working' in Thailand or any other country. Same for all those others working 'from home' as such, but based in Thailand or Bali or wherever - they are going to tax you if they can.

Spot on, @AussieBob.  I think quite a few people who see a "digital nomad" visa as good news are going to have a nasty shock quite soon .....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

..... maybe they'll come here instead, although Cambodia's far more likely.

They're welcome to each other.

• Haha 1

Just now, Stonker said:

maybe they'll come here instead

No, not with all the HiSo plans they have for Thailand …. They will aim for something people friendly. Once they find that they will make the place Tourist Friendly. Then give it 30 years for politicians to wreck it. But hey, in that case I won’t see it happen.

• Like 1

Backpackers may spend less per day, but they commonly spend more overall because they stay longer. They also tend to spend more with local businesses, rather than on the products and services of large international corporations.
As such, backpackers can be of more value to the country than high-end, short-stay visitors. There is also evidence these lower-budget travellers are valuable word-of-mouth ambassadors who often return when they are older, booking upmarket accommodation, attractions and tours.

4 hours ago, AussieBob said:

That's fair. Many places in Europe makes it possible to live as cheaply, while getting proper health insurance, a second passport after 5 years, a business they can actually own without needing to give 51% equity to some thai bar girl lol
+ 10 years of tax free income under certain requirements tax free income. 

The whole point of living in Thailand/Bali is to work on your side hustle and live cheaply. The costs for visa, extension and border runs already well exceed the amount most would pay in taxes back home anyway.

Don't expect any grumpy retirees to understand any of this though :))

Edited by Ynwaps
  • Like 1